Lighting Returns: Final Fantasy XIII Screens Show Fang

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Lighting Returns: Final Fantasy XIII Screens Show Fang

Fang also returns in Lightning Returns to help Lighting explore ancient ruins and eradicate monster species.

Rough, tough, and hardheaded, Fang made her debut appearance in Final Fantasy XIII as a strong playable character. She's back in Lightning Returns, and Square Enix has released some screenshots of her. Following the events of Final Fantasy XIII Fang, and her partner and fellow party member Vanille, transformed into a crystal pillar between two worlds, preventing their collision. After centuries within the pillar, the pair awoke and lived under the care of the Order. Fang left to search for a long-lost relic in the Dead Dunes.

For much of the game, Lightning fights alone. Reuniting with Fang, the pair fight together and can "easily take on foes" that would be hard to do so alone.

[gallery=1849]

In the same blog post, Square Enix also revealed the player can eradicate some species of monsters. Certain species have a limited number of monsters -- in this world, no new humans are born either -- but the last remaining monster in a species is far more powerful than its predecessors. After killing the Last One, the game will alert you that you have just murdered an entire species.

Because the Last One is so powerful, sometimes fleeing will be necessary. Lightning's Escape ability allows her to run from battle. You can always challenge the monster again.

Also included in the screens posted are two pictures of the ancient ruins beneath the Dead Dunes. Square Enix calls the ruins "formidable." Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII launches in the west in February 2014.

Source: PlayStation Blog [http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013/10/28/new-lightning-returns-final-fantasy-xiii-screens-show-fangs-return/]

Makeshift Koala

Aug 20, 2009
Good to see them still using the same character model after 4 years.
That extinction mechanic looks pretty neat though.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
Makeshift Koala said:
Good to see them still using the same character model after 4 years.
I thought the same thing. I'm quite surprised they didn't dress her up as a J-Pop singer, turning to the power of Music Love (*spoilers*) for fear of turning into Ragnarok again and bringing on the apocalypse Lightning is so desperate to stop. Seems even though they brought back the wardrobe system, they actually learned something from X-2!

Seriously though, I felt Fang was the most interesting character from the original XIII, so it's nice to see them not futzing with something that ain't broke.

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
I'm guessing that Chrono Break, Vagrant Story 2 and Final Fantasy Tactics are still not happening then?

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
So they're encouraging us to eradicate entire species? wat

I... uh... fail to see the appeal to anyone that isn't a complete psychopath.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
Making an entire species extinct sounds a little dark =S Even if it is monsters... maybe the whole thing will be so dark that monster-extinction won't seem as bad. In fact;

roseofbattle said:
...in this world, no new humans are born either...
I can already tell this one will be darker - that is pretty freaking grim to me.

EDIT: In other news, WOO! 1,000 posts! :D

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Don't care about the characters, dialogue, story, or graphics/aesthetic.
As long as it's as fun as the game play videos I've seen, I'm getting this.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
I have been saying that the abilty to deplete enemy numbers would be a cool mechanic for years now, so i'm happy someone is actually doing it. Now make the combat and story both not utter shit and I might actually buy it. common Sqeenix, don't let me down again. You made kingdom Hearts, so I know you have someone around who knows how to do a decent combat system.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
I'm not gonna lie, I kinda liked XIII. It took a loooong time to get somewhere but it did eventually. But then XIII-2 made an unintelligle mess of it (well, the story part at least) and now I don't really care about the new one... Garment grid again?

Auron225 said:
EDIT: In other news, WOO! 1,000 posts! :D
In other news, WOO! Congrats! :)

Captcha: can't have nice things

Damn right, captcha.