Lightning Returns: FFXIII Will Have Japanese Voice-Overs as DLC

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
I'm okay with it being free DLC if if frees up some disc space, but charging for it is fucking ridiculous.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Kheapathic said:
Doom972 said:
Kheapathic said:
Doom972 said:
KingdomFantasyXIII said:
Doom972 said:
Square-Enix seems to be on its way to become worse than Activision and Ubisoft. They still haven't considered reducing cutscene budgets instead of making customers pay for things that they should get for no extra charge.
Did you not read the article? They said it would be free for two weeks. Besides, who cares if it's Japanese voice over? It's not impeding on the game as a whole so let them start charging of Japanese voice acting after two weeks.
Did you not read it? After two weeks it will no longer be free. Personally, I don't care, but I know that it's a big deal for some people.

It's just that it's one of many similar moves of Square Enix, otherwise I wouldn't have paid attention to it. The most disappointing of these moves, at least for me, was not giving the Director's Cut update for owners of Deus Ex: Human Revolution at no extra charge.
It must be hard going through life and not getting everything you want given to you.
Patches being given at no extra charge is the standard and voice overs are made anyway so there's no reason not to make them available as doing so doesn't cost the company - but again, I wouldn't say anything about the latter if it was a single case and not one of many.
Before the internet and patches, it was expansion packs which you had to pay for.

As for the voice overs, you could probably hold Microsoft on that account. They still use DVD disc which has limited space (and why the 360's FF13 was 3 discs as compared to the PS3's 1 disc). Sound data takes up space and since Microsoft has that stance of not wanting anything less than what others are getting, instead of adding another disc (or new set of discs); they're letting it be available to download. The people who would be interested in it the most are the early adapters, and so they'll have two weeks to get it for free. Keeps all sides happy.
The current standard is that patches are free. What I'm talking about doesn't qualify as an expansion pack or even DLC.
As for hardware limitations - nothing can be done about that, what's our point?

makkusu17

Nov 23, 2013
This is one of the moments where you want to kiss and punch SE at the same time. But instead of whining I will just remember everyone I know that they should just download the dlc while it is free. It should be possible to download the dlc before you have the game and if that is the case we gamers just have to download it before there is a price tag on it. If there is a big number of Downloads, but nobody who is willing (and quite frankly kind of dumb enough)to pay for a Japanese voice over, maybe they will keep including it as a fan service, but won't charge for it at all, because they can not make any money with it.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Kheapathic said:
I don't know about you, but I don't encourage anti-consumer practices. You are entitled to your opinion and think that such practices are acceptable, but don't expect me to agree with you, especially when you present your argument using mostly insults.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Kheapathic said:
Doom972 said:
Kheapathic said:
I don't know about you, but I don't encourage anti-consumer practices. You are entitled to your opinion and think that such practices are acceptable, but don't expect me to agree with you, especially when you present your argument using mostly insults.
I type with condescension because you seem unable to understand what I typed previously. Your standard isn't being adhered to and so you call foul, if you take my not agreeing with you as an insult then that's on you; my jab about critical thinking, I'll let you have that one. So on that note you want to ignore that Square-Enix would like to make a profit and do so by accomodating both sides, but also doing so in a way not to drive up production costs. I wouldn't expect you to agree with me since you want to ignore a fundamental part of business, which you obviously don't get.
Square Enix can set whatever crappy standards they want for themselves, but it doesn't mean people have to put up with it. A fundamental part of business is also making sure that you don't alienate your customers. Patches being made available for no extra charge is the industry standard - it's not just my own personal standard. There are much more successful publishers out there that adhere to this standard so I wouldn't say that it's bad for business.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
SERAH

SERAH

SERAH

SERAH

Two things: That's not how you spell Sarah, and secondly, I would kill to have a voice over. Troy Baker's a good actor, the FF's taint is starting to corrupt his talent. Infact, I'm sure I've heard most of the actors from somewhere, and in 13 they're just cringe worthy.

I counted "Serah" being both mispelled and shouted over 100 times by the end of the game, and in 13-2, every single nano second of existence of quantum foam I was in the menu, in battle, in shops, anything.

Please, Square, don't fuck everything up... PLEASE.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Kheapathic said:
Doom972 said:
Kheapathic said:
Doom972 said:
Kheapathic said:
I type with condescension because you seem unable to understand what I typed previously. Your standard isn't being adhered to and so you call foul, if you take my not agreeing with you as an insult then that's on you; my jab about critical thinking, I'll let you have that one. So on that note you want to ignore that Square-Enix would like to make a profit and do so by accomodating both sides, but also doing so in a way not to drive up production costs. I wouldn't expect you to agree with me since you want to ignore a fundamental part of business, which you obviously don't get.
Square Enix can set whatever crappy standards they want for themselves, but it doesn't mean people have to put up with it. A fundamental part of business is also making sure that you don't alienate your customers. Patches being made available for no extra charge is the industry standard - it's not just my own personal standard. There are much more successful publishers out there that adhere to this standard so I wouldn't say that it's bad for business.
With all the bitching there is about DLC and what-not you still call free stuff an "industry standard." Please enlighten me on when this standard was set and what reprecussions will come about it not being followed; you can't because it's not a standard, at least not one that exists outside of your own head. They're allowed to do their own thing because there's no standard in place. Though I'll admit I'm curious on what your idea of more successful is, because success is open to interpretation. Now having someone have to pay (2 weeks after launch) for a dual language track isn't going to alienate anyone. As I said twice previously, the people who'd be interested in that are the early adopters and they'll receive it for free. Hell you probably won't even have to own the game, just go to the online marketplace and download it while it's free; so if someone is iffy or doesn't have the money, they'll have the data already available to them for when they decide to get the game.
I'm talking about patches, not DLC. If you disagree that patches being released at no extra charge isn't the industry standard, then this conversation is pointless. Also, "at no extra charge" doesn't mean free - you pay money for a game and it only makes sense that it would still get support, especially now since games today are marketed as a service.

As I before, the OT isn't that bad by its own, but it's one of many anti-consumer moves made by Square Enix, which as a whole alienate consumers such as myself.