Limited Edition Call of Duty Jeep Coming From Chrysler

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
icyneesan said:
ffffff if Acitivision and Chyrsler can do this, why can't DC and Ford come out with a Batmobile.
Ford's still trying to figure out how to make a regular car properly.

soren7550 said:
Or to put it really easy, which would you guess to be the military vehicle? This?:

or this?:

Chances are, you're going to guess the thing that has several inches of steel and a giant gun on it.
Chances are I'd say both are. If the brown/gray paint job and the stars on the front don't give away the Jeep, the fact that it has "US ARMY" printed on it pretty much tells you it's a military vehicle.

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
I can see people buying this but goodness it is quite the risk. That's a lot of money you're sinking into what I can only call the crown jewel of collector's editions.

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
Luftwaffles said:
Pretty silly no?
Not at all, actually, compared to the new limited edition Ram that is coming out at the same time.

Meanwhile, Ram will introduce a Longhorn edition of its Ram pickup next week at the State Fair of Texas' annual auto show. According to the Wall Street Journal, the Longhorn will feature a pop-out badge that can be used as a belt buckle. It's expected that the Longhorn will more or less mirror the current Lone Star edition, which is only available in Texas. The Lone Star - known as the Big Horn package elsewhere - starts with a standard Ram 1500 SLT and adds features like 20-inch alloy wheels and a convenience package.
I for one, find the belt buckle far sillier.

Source [http://www.leftlanenews.com/coming-soon-call-of-duty-jeep-wrangler-and-ram-1500-longhorn.html]

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
Outside of people who are already going to buy a Jeep and really love Call of Duty, erm, okay? I guess...

To be honest, I stopped thinking about Chrysler/Jeep. Hell, I don't think they even really advertise anymore, or at least, not around here (the bloody Motor City no less...)

Vanguard_Ex said:
OT: This is kinda going over the top...how many people who are fans of the game are going to actually have that kind of disposable income?
Before long we'll have Modern Warfare 3: Prestige Edition with a limited edition Black Hawk.
Yes, but the Level 50 Prestige Edition comes with killstreaks that actually nuke your multiplayer opponent's house.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
FargoDog said:
They're not going to sell any of these. Twelve-year olds can't drive. /massivegeneralization. <.<
Ba Dum Tiss.

OT:Interesting.
Its certainly different than most Game Merchandising.

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
I'm not really surprised. I see a Reese's Chevy Cobalt, a Skittles Monte Carlo, and a Spiderman Mustang around here almost daily.

It'd just be one more driving advertisement in this town, especially considering the actual Jeep plant is just down the street.

Skorpyo

Average Person Extraordinaire!
May 2, 2010
icyneesan said:
ffffff if Acitivision and Chyrsler can do this, why can't DC and Ford come out with a Batmobile.
They did. In 1966. It was called the Futura.

Also, the Transmission quip by icyneesan is because Ford is known for transmission problems in their trucks.

z3rostr1fe

Aug 14, 2009
And then, the next thing that they will be tying up with MW is an aircraft... Interesting development... Obviously, it wasn't Bobby Kotick who opened their mouth, that's why it looks awesome!!! Fire that Kotick guy, or just let him shut up, for the love of Activision-Blizzard!!!

Corpse XxX

Jan 19, 2009
Im waiting for a call of duty where an assault rifle is part of the collectors edition..

Or a tank!

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
Article about a $17000 computer, I can live with.

Call of Duty themed Jeep.

... Black Ops isnt even in modern times? Ooooh I just hate consistency!

Seriously. The demographic for the average Call of Duty player is NO WHERE EVEN REMOTELY CLOSE to the demographic of one that can afford a brand new vehicle. The average CoD player is in high school or college, both demographics are notoriously poor.

Thats like Pizza Hut announcing its going to start selling Truffle, Fois Gras and Caviar pizza with gold flakes on it with some chardine. ITS PIZZA HUT, YOU DONT GO THERE FOR FINE DINING, YOU GO THERE TO EAT LETHAL AMMOUNTS OF GREESE: THERE IS LITTLE TO NO CROSS OVER.

I will give it to them though, they REALLY are buffing up promoting games. I remember when a nifty looking thumb drive and an art book was enough (Oh July, you seemed like just 2 months ago...). Now were up to the point of releasing CARS as a promotion for games?

Whats next, fixed rate mortgages?

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
Uber Waddles said:
Seriously. The demographic for the average Call of Duty player is NO WHERE EVEN REMOTELY CLOSE to the demographic of one that can afford a brand new vehicle. The average CoD player is in high school or college, both demographics are notoriously poor.
The impact doesn't need to be too high. Modern Warfare 2 sold over 7 million copies of the game worldwide. Even if only 4m were in the US, and only 10% of those were able to buy a car, that's still a lot of people. For comparison, the yearly sales for the Wrangler in the US are at about 80,000 [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Wrangler#Total_American_Sales] cars sold.

But I think you're a bit off on your demographic guesses, unless you have some solid numbers somewhere to back it up. Even if you assume that the players of the original Call of Duty were in high school/college at the time, that would put them between 15-22 years old in 2003. Now they'd be 22-29. I'd guess that the age range probably skews older than that though, because there were plenty of military shooters before Call of Duty, and plenty of people playing them. The ESA says the average age of a gamer is 34 [http://www.theesa.com/facts/gameplayer.asp], and that they've been playing games for 12 years. That may be a bit high for the kind of games we're talking about, but not by 10+ years.

The Jeep Wrangler targets the same 18-35 male market that video games do, so it's probably a good crossover. Interestingly enough, this isn't the first game-related Jeep. There was a Tomb Raider Limited Edition Wrangler [http://www.motortrend.com/auto_news/112_news030522_tr/index.html] back in 2003. It was for the movies, and they only made about 1000, but it was still a pretty nice package.

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
Virgil said:
Uber Waddles said:
The impact doesn't need to be too high. Modern Warfare 2 sold over 7 million copies of the game worldwide. Even if only 4m were in the US, and only 10% of those were able to buy a car, that's still a lot of people. For comparison, the yearly sales for the Wrangler in the US are at about 80,000 [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Wrangler#Total_American_Sales] cars sold.

But I think you're a bit off on your demographic guesses, unless you have some solid numbers somewhere to back it up. Even if you assume that the players of the original Call of Duty were in high school/college at the time, that would put them between 15-22 years old in 2003. Now they'd be 22-29. I'd guess that the age range probably skews older than that though, because there were plenty of military shooters before Call of Duty, and plenty of people playing them. The ESA says the average age of a gamer is 34 [http://www.theesa.com/facts/gameplayer.asp], and that they've been playing games for 12 years. That may be a bit high for the kind of games we're talking about, but not by 10+ years.

The Jeep Wrangler targets the same 18-35 male market that video games do, so it's probably a good crossover. Interestingly enough, this isn't the first game-related Jeep. There was a Tomb Raider Limited Edition Wrangler [http://www.motortrend.com/auto_news/112_news030522_tr/index.html] back in 2003. It was for the movies, and they only made about 1000, but it was still a pretty nice package.
I read a study at my campus's local library a few months back for a paper I was writing on the effects of the entertainment industry on the American way of life, and part of my paper dealt with Call of Duty, as it was one of the more popular video games at the time (and fits with the country being at war). The article took a sample of 1000ish participants and asked them about Call of Duty. Of the people that did play, 42% were in the 15-20 and 20-25 categories (combined), much larger then the other demographic groups (I believe it was 22/20%, all the others fell short of that). Granted, this wasn't in a scientific journal, so the credibility of it isn't the best. If I can find the publication again Ill send you the name of it.

The point I was trying to make in the paper by pulling out those two demographic groups was that the 15-25 age group is primarily those who are in high-school and college/military/etc. Another study I cited showed the average income of these groups: for obvious reasons they weren't that high. While you do make a valid point that only a small number of sales have to be made to generate a decent profit, it just seems like an excercise in futility to me. The car they are producing has nothing to do with the game- its not even a car that looks like it would be from the 'Cold War Era'. Although Im pulling this outta my ass, cause I have not studies to back it up, I'm assuming that most of the people who are in the market to buy a new car PROBABLY have families, who would PROBABLY protest buying a $21000 just because it has Call of Dutys stamp of approval (expecially when you can get MUCH better cars in terms of reliability, gas mileage... non-flipping for considerably less, like in the $15000 range).

Its undoubtably just a collectors item, but I just don't get the point of it... I can see corperations milking the American people ALL the time: Halo Reaches Legenary Edition, although cool, was a bit of a "I have too much disposible income to burn" kinda thing. But a car? Thats like, Legendary Edition x 2000. Plus tax, title, insurance... *que cheesey drum bash* I can see the appeal of making collectors items for a big release; but I alawys fail to grasp the concept of making a collectors item out of something that requires a long-term investment (I dont understand this on the cosnumers mindset or the producers). But whatever, thats why they make apple and pumpkin pie, right?

Id personally be happy with a copy of the game and my old scrap of metal I call a car.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
SelectivelyEvil13 said:
Outside of people who are already going to buy a Jeep and really love Call of Duty, erm, okay? I guess...

To be honest, I stopped thinking about Chrysler/Jeep. Hell, I don't think they even really advertise anymore, or at least, not around here (the bloody Motor City no less...)

Vanguard_Ex said:
OT: This is kinda going over the top...how many people who are fans of the game are going to actually have that kind of disposable income?
Before long we'll have Modern Warfare 3: Prestige Edition with a limited edition Black Hawk.
Yes, but the Level 50 Prestige Edition comes with killstreaks that actually nuke your multiplayer opponent's house.
Hah! I love it ^.^

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
soren7550 said:
Andy Chalk said:
I suppose this qualifies; the Jeep, after all, is far and away the most famous and instantly recognizable vehicle in the history of the U.S. military.
I'd have to disagree with you there good sir. I would have to say that the tank is the most famous & most instantly recognizable vehicle in the history of the United States military.
That's like saying "the plane" is the most recognizable vehicle in the history of the Air Force, or "the car" is the most recognizable vehicle in the history of Ford.

Apr 29, 2010
Baby Tea said:
Luftwaffles said:
Pretty silly no?
Ahh not really.
If I was in the market for a vehicle like this, and could afford the $30,000 plus interest in payments, I'd seriously look into it. Jeeps are decent vehicles, and having a Call of Duty version is like having a nerdy license plate. It's nerdy fun!

I'd do it.

Unfortunately, I'm neither in the market for, or interested in a vehicle like that.
I don't think anyone here has the cash for a new Jeep. I know I don't...which sucks because I like Jeeps. I wonder if it comes with a mounted machine gun.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Vanguard_Ex said:
soren7550 said:
icyneesan said:
soren7550 said:
Andy Chalk said:
I suppose this qualifies; the Jeep, after all, is far and away the most famous and instantly recognizable vehicle in the history of the U.S. military.
I'd have to disagree with you there good sir. I would have to say that the tank is the most famous & most instantly recognizable vehicle in the history of the United States military.
I'm not a car person so I dont get the joke :\
The Jeep was first created by the U.S. Army, and I think the tank was first made by the U.S. as well (or was it the French?).
Actually I do believe the first tank was due to the British.

I'd buy that. Black Hawks are the shnizz-nizz.