Limited Edition Call of Duty Jeep Coming From Chrysler

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Limited Edition Call of Duty Jeep Coming From Chrysler

Night-vision goggles and remote control vehicles are nice but they don't have anything on this: A limited-edition Call of Duty [http://www.callofduty.com/] Jeep being rolled out by Chrysler.

Collectors editions have grown increasingly popular over the years, and increasingly expensive in some cases. Art books and "making of" bonus discs are standard equipment, while more sophisticated examples toss in statuettes, cloth maps and, for the more discerning and deep-pocketed gamer, stuff like the aforementioned night vision goggles and RC toys. But now it's time to separate the men from the boys with nothing less than a real, live Call of Duty-themed Jeep Wrangler [http://www.jeep.com/en/2010/wrangler/].

The famous Wrangler will be the "hero vehicle" in the upcoming Call of Duty: Black Ops [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Black-Ops-Pc/dp/B003JVF728/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1284664755&sr=8-7] and to take advantage of that, Chrysler and Activision have teamed up to create a limited edition Jeep inspired by the game. There's no word yet on how it will be tricked out, what it will cost or whether it will come with a copy of Activision's new shooter, but base Wrangler models run from $21,695 for the Sport to $28,775 for the Rubicon.

I'm not sure if this is awesome or ridiculous (I suspect it's a good measure of both) but either way, it's an interesting counterpoint to Activision CEO Bobby Kotick's recent statement [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103515-Activision-Declines-Use-of-In-Game-Ads-Out-of-Respect] that the publisher won't take advantage of in-game advertising unless it's "really authentic and will enhance the game experience." I suppose this qualifies; the Jeep, after all, is far and away the most famous and instantly recognizable vehicle in the history of the U.S. military.

Call of Duty: Black Ops comes out on November 9 for the PC, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Wii.

Source: Wall Street Journal [http://blogs.wsj.com/drivers-seat/2010/09/15/chrysler-a-preview-of-the-automakers-new-lineup/]

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Mother of God. Are you serious? Cue wasted off their ass fratboys driving by in this fucking thing.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
And this children, is what is known as going over the top.

Calumon: I think tanks are more well known.

Jack: Quiet Calumon, your giving the shareholders ideas.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Luftwaffles said:
Pretty silly no?
Ahh not really.
If I was in the market for a vehicle like this, and could afford the $30,000 plus interest in payments, I'd seriously look into it. Jeeps are decent vehicles, and having a Call of Duty version is like having a nerdy license plate. It's nerdy fun!

I'd do it.

Unfortunately, I'm neither in the market for, or interested in a vehicle like that.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
A bit overdoing it? Yes, but still pretty awesome.

The Jeep should also come with a built in TV and console for the game.

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
ffffff if Acitivision and Chyrsler can do this, why can't DC and Ford come out with a Batmobile.

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
I'm not sure if this is awesome or ridiculous (I suspect it's a good measure of both)
For reference, all things awesome are by nature at least a little ridiculous.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
Oh activision. If you went away, I don't think gaming humorists would have nearly as easy a job.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Funny, I'm pretty sre most of the military cars in MW2 are Land Rovers or Humvees.

In any case, Wranglers are shite, and game promotion jeeps are bound to be shitter.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
Baby Tea said:
Jeeps are decent vehicles, and having a Call of Duty version is like having a nerdy license plate. It's nerdy fun!
I've owned two Wranglers, and have loved them both. I don't know if I'd go in for a Call of Duty package - would depend on what that entails - but a Wranger Rubicon is definitely on my list of considerations next time I go car shopping.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Oh wow o.o guessing dont get that with the spec. edition? XD

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
I read somewhere that in the 80's Pontiac had to stop production of the Knight Rider Edition Tran-Am because too many impressionable idiots though it would be just as capable as K.I.T.T. and be able to jump rivers and suchlike.

I wonder if the same fate will befall the Call of Duty Wrangler with people thinking it's as rugged and powerful as it's game counterpart...

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
ctrl said:
$20000 on a game based vehicle? why?
well, for one, it's hardly "game based"

the game is based on the vehicle, and then by some circular logic they're using the popularity of the game to sell the vehicle.

It would be like if the harry potter movies had big advertisements for harry potter books inside the movie itself.

it's probably not a bad price for a jeep, all things considered

Sep 14, 2009
icyneesan said:
ffffff if Acitivision and Chyrsler can do this, why can't DC and Ford come out with a Batmobile.
true that..but i mean come on, WHO THE FUCK WOULDN"T pay for a batmobile??!? garunteed every rich snob out there would buy one for collector reasons, while any person who really wants one would fork up huge amounts of payments to have one of those....

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
I too am a Jeep owner, although of a Cherokee, not a Wrangler, and I agree with Virgil: When the time comes, another Jeep will definitely be at the top of my list.

Not so sure about the CoD edition, tho'.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
I too am a Jeep owner, although of a Cherokee, not a Wrangler, and I agree with Virgil: When the time comes, another Jeep will definitely be at the top of my list.

Not so sure about the CoD edition, tho'.
it's not like it has THIS IS A CALL OF DUTY TRUCK AND I AM A HUGE GAMING NERD printed on the side, does it? Just looks like a pretty posh jeep to me.

You think if an older gentlemen went in to Chrysler looking for a jeep, and they wanted to sell him this jeep that they'd play up the CoD nature of the vehicle? I doubt it. They'd probably just talk numbers.