Limits in Science-Fiction.

AlkalineGamer

Jan 6, 2011
Science fiction, basically taking massive liberties with theoretical or even certain science.
But what lines can science fiction not cross? What scientific facts just cannot be changed?

I thought of this after having a little debate with someone on the AC forums over the way Genetic inheritance works, a constant argument was that "it's science fiction, they can do what they want" But i think Sci-Fi needs some boundaries, it's the only thing stopping it from becoming utterly insane nonsense.

So where should the line between Reality and imagination be drawn?

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
It shouldn't. That's the whole point of sci-fi, that those constraints are lifted.

ScoopMeister

Mar 12, 2011
What's wrong with utterly insane nonsense? It would be boring if suddenly there were certain things you couldn't do in sci-fi.

Gammaj4

Nov 18, 2009
As far as I'm concerned, the more variety we get, the better.
Sure mecha are completely unrealistic in every possible way, but that doesn't make the anime that use them less enjoyable.

Realistic science-fiction has it's place of course, but if all fiction had to be realistic, things would get very boring, very fast.

darksaber64x

Aug 15, 2008
Anything is potentially possible with enough knowledge.

People once thought flying was just as impossible as going to the moon. Everything becomes more and more possible as technology progresses.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
It's fiction dude. I can write a story about a magical trumpet that lives in a universe where gravity is reversed if I want to.

Eisenfaust

Two horses in a man costume
Apr 20, 2009
limits? NO! GOSH DARN IT, IF WE REVERSE THE POLARITY WE CAN OVERCOME THEM!!!!

problem solved

Heronblade

Apr 12, 2011
No limits are necessary, so long as matters are kept consistent in the lore in question, and there is reason behind it. Even basic laws of the universe can be suspended/bent given a good reason. For instance, nearly every space based science fiction media break several laws with whatever FTL method they happen to use.

With that said, a lot of science fiction abuses good science and twists it to make it more understandable but far less accurate. Most things dealing with genetics for instance, as mentioned above.

Wuffykins

Jun 21, 2010
Gammaj4 said:
As far as I'm concerned, the more variety we get, the better.
Sure mecha are completely unrealistic in every possible way, but that doesn't make the anime that use them less enjoyable.

Realistic science-fiction has it's place of course, but if all fiction had to be realistic, things would get very boring, very fast.
That's true on one side, but there are some limits here and there. Using your mention of Mecha, there's a reason I prefer the series Macross compared to other Transforming-Mecha series, in the vein that, even going to the series' roots in the 80's, they just work from a mechanical point of view rather than having the 'Look! I'm a giant yet implausible Machine! Enjoy me!'

I can see the point in the OP's post, as though I do enjoy some garden variety Fantasy here and there that explain everything because IT's MAGIC(K)!, but I do tend to get annoyed when sci-fi uses the same ploy by replacing Magic with Science. Just some inherent plausibility is appreciated after all.

Karma168

Nov 7, 2010
As long as the story is told in a coherent way then there should be no limits. I've read a few short stories that have great imagination when it comes to the sci-fi elements but the characters and plot are so bat-shit insane that you just can't read them they are that bad.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
AlkalineGamer said:
Science fiction, basically taking massive liberties with theoretical or even certain science.
But what lines can science fiction not cross? What scientific facts just cannot be changed?

I thought of this after having a little debate with someone on the AC forums over the way Genetic inheritance works, a constant argument was that "it's science fiction, they can do what they want" But i think Sci-Fi needs some boundaries, it's the only thing stopping it from becoming utterly insane nonsense.

So where should the line between Reality and imagination be drawn?
I don't think sci-fi SHOULD have any boundaries. Look at Mass Effect , it has been proven that speed of light travel is bullshit, and yet this game made something new. The only way to travel so fast is to run along a "Mass Relay" which charged up your ship with energy and sling shots your ass accurately to the next system. fucking genius!

We don't even know if our laws of nature are the accurate ones. Right now people in the world are saying the whole molecule theory might not be right, and it might be string theory now! THink of all the ways Sci-fi can bend and twist these ideas into new and creative ways for the impossible to occur. Sure the science may sound like bullshit, but watch the Big Bang Theory, any physicist will tell you what they say is bullshit when they get into science talk, but it SOUNDS accurate the the unknowing.

I think sci-fi is there to cross the lines, break the boundaries, and be the impossibilities that we want to exist. Just as fantasy bends the lines and breaks how the world can work with Magic

Toaster Hunter

Jun 10, 2009
Anything should be allowed. Really, the major concern should be if the stroy is well written. Realism comes second.

ZtH

Oct 12, 2010
Imposing limits on science fiction will only work until we generate enough spiral power to break free of them.

The only limit I would impose on Sci-fi is consistency. Things can work however you want in your world as long as it has some sort of reason to it.

Grospoliner

Feb 16, 2010
The obvious answer is the currently established scientific fact. This would be basic physics things like kinematics (velocity, acceleration, trajectory); particle physics (sure you can make particle beam weapons and laser cannons, but they don't work too good inside an atmosphere); basic biology (people do not explode when exposed to hard vacuum, aliens aren't going to be able to breed with humans (sorry Spock)); basic geo/astrophysics (Earth-like planets are rare, most planets won't have a breathable atmosphere).

There's too much to mention off-hand however, but without this as a baseline the rest of the story will be riddle with inconsistencies and errors. Any author worth their salt knows not to break immersion.

ScoopMeister

Mar 12, 2011
Toaster Hunter said:
Anything should be allowed. Really, the major concern should be if the stroy is well written. Realism comes second.
Robert Rankin's books spring to mind as a brilliant example. That man wouldn't know realism if it *****-slapped him to kingdom come, but his books are (in my opinion) hilarious and brilliantly written.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
BonsaiK said:
It shouldn't. That's the whole point of sci-fi, that those constraints are lifted.
Well, it should at least be plausible nonsense, or at least nonsense in the guise of mysticism.

I like sci-fi getting crazy outside of our realm of current understanding, since then it's easy enough to get swept up in it. But if it takes science we know, and quite well, and just plain ignores it, well, that's jarring, and breaks immersion. It's a fine line, admittedly, but the closer it is to real science, the more accurate they should be. If you're talking about psychic powers or something, the force is a great way of mystifying it, but saying your cars and basic technology run on the force will just get me to facepalm.

I guess to boil it down I'd say: Expanding our knowledge with nonsense= Fine
Contradicting our knowledge with nonsense= Not fine.

Edit: But then, I'm not against fantasy either, which changes the basic rules. But I think that helps by it's outlandish setting. Maybe it's more and issue of the uncanny valley of sorts, something too close to reality, the small differences become that much more noticeable and out of place.

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
Sci-Fi without limits is just fantasy in space. which is not a problem, but everyone who sees someone shooting his lazors or flying a spacecraft thinks "oh science fiction", no it doesnt have to be. Most Science fiction is just fantasy in space. Star Wars for example, not an Iota of Sci-Fi in there.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
This is why there's a difference between soft and hard science fiction.