Link and Epona Ride Again in Ocarina of Time 3D Trailer

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Link and Epona Ride Again in Ocarina of Time 3D Trailer

For many, it's the best game ever made - and it's coming to a 3D-capable handheld near you.

For some people, it's laughable that the 3DS' killer app is a port of a game that came out in 1998. For others, it doesn't matter because The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is rightly legendary.

Nintendo has released a new teaser trailer for Ocarina 3D, and it is one hell of a blast from the past. It all looks a bit familiar, but then again it all should look a bit familiar, shouldn't it? The graphics have been given a facelift, and while it's still obviously N64-era stuff it's nice to see what the game looks like with actual textures beyond "brown blob, grassy blob," and at a resolution higher than that of the screen on a graphing calculator.

That said, there are spoilers in this video - significant spoilers - so if you haven't played the original Ocarina of Time you probably shouldn't watch it. And if you haven't played the original Ocarina of Time, then you have clearly lived a life that is less joyful than it might have been otherwise.

There are plenty of legendary games in this world, but Ocarina stirs something special inside of me. I had that game memorized backwards and forwards back in the day, and I can recognize every single location in this trailer right down to the "Oh hey, I hated that part" feeling. I'm sure I'm not alone in this, either.

I guess I'll have to get around to getting a 3DS, then.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Awesome! I can't wait to bomb some Dudongos! (in 3D)

That trailer brought back a lot of memories...that fire dragon will either be really awesome in 3D or really painful.

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
I didn't even own an N64 back then, and I still knew this game way too well.
John Funk said:
I guess I'll have to get around to getting a 3DS, then.
Me too...maybe. After the camera, and graphics card, and Skyrim, and getting a job, and.....maybe I'll just grab an N64 emulator.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
...goosebumps.

Yeah, it is wonderful recognizing everything. I can even tell which part of Hyrule Field Link and Epona are hanging around at in the beginning. Isn't it that little river section two spots to the left of the town gates? There was always an annoying big poe that would run into that area...

Yeah, I see what you mean!

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
That's actually really nice looking. I was expecting just an updated port like Master Quest, but this is a lot better.

I'm definitely getting a 3DS when it's a good time to preorder this.

tunderball

Jul 10, 2010
Ocarina of Time is a legendary game that is truly special from start to finish (except the water temple).
Really tempted to get a 3DS now, the graphics look really impressive too everything looks very crisp for a handheld, you can really see the improvement in Link.

Kakashi on crack

Aug 5, 2009
Amazing, half-tempted to buy a 3DS now, except I have ocarina for the wii so my urge to play it has been satiated. (I swear all I use my wii for is playing N64 and similar old-era games. XD)

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
I wonder if its much to ask for them to replace Navi's voice with Midna's. And not because I found it erotic every time she'd moan when I was in wolf form...

LadyMint

Apr 22, 2010
Oh my stars and garters but that looks nice.

To this day I can't believe I played Ocarina of Time. The oldschool graphics are hard for me to stare at. But this update is way better on nearly everything in the video.

I say nearly everything because the Great Fairy still looked like ass to me. She was probably one of the worst-looking characters in the game.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Still the greatest experience I've ever played but I'm not going to get a 3DS just because of old ports. I've completely lost all confidence with Nintendo since after the Wii. Nope, they're going to have to release a new real quality game to get my attention.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Honestly... I might have to pass up on this. I don't own a 3DS to begin with, too much money to invest in and not enough games on the market to warrent it. Secondly the game really isn't impressing me. Beyond updated link, this looks almost exactly like Ocarina of time for the N64, half of the things look as though they have had no graphical update at all, or very minimal. I know its handheld, but I still feel more could have been done.

On top of that from the reports, you won't be playing this thing for too long a period of time anyway, so you'll get a half hours worth a day of playing before you feel your insides want to turn into outsides.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Holy pants soiling delight that looks amazing...so rich, so detailed, so colorful...having just replayed OoT after finals, that looked absolutely astounding. And yet...what's with the ears? I had always thought that the pointy ears was just how the polygons came out on the N64. I didn't realize they actually had ears that stuck a foot off their head. Bizzare.

Seieko Pherdo

May 7, 2011
I already have two versions of this game. I suppose the Master Quest is a good add-on since a lot of people may not have that. However It annoys me how they made this new system just to remake old games. Not to mention a game that was released three times before (N64, Collectors Version, the one with Master Quest) I don't see why they don't use this system to bring over games that never came out in America or something like that.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Yeah, OoT is legendary alright. I'm still going to wait for some massive price drops though.

Unless they want to tempt me with Majora's Mask. Just sayin'.

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
Alright. Two things.

One: I try to deny it as much as I can. There are tons of great games out there, some hold up over time, some don't. Despite the fact that I want to try and have my own unique opinion, I can't deny that Ocarina of Time is simply the greatest video game ever made.

Two: As good as the game is, am I the only one not really impressed by the graphical upgrade? I've played street fighter 3D. The graphics are nothing short of beautiful. The graphics of this game look like a slightly more polished version of the N64 one. It doesn't seem to use the full potential of the system. Now, this is nitpicking a bit, and YES I WILL BUY A 3DS WHEN THIS COMES OUT, but when you're going to do a direct port with some upgrades of one of the best-selling and most popular games of all time, we'll need those upgrades to be noticeable, otherwise it's just another port.

Let's hope the 3D is good, the graphics are really polished, and the water temple is improved. (I heard that somewhere, they're re-tooling the water temple?)

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
Just like the top rated comment on the video:

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
I'm still going to keep my money and save it for some brand new games. I have one of these that still works fine [http://images.wikia.com/gamecube/images/f/fb/Master_quest.jpg], so if I want to play Ocarina again, I'll use that.

I see the fairies are as creepy as ever, though. I am going to have nightmares tonight, yes sir.

tehweave said:
Let's hope the 3D is good, the graphics are really polished, and the water temple is improved. (I heard that somewhere, they're re-tooling the water temple?)
As far as I know, they said it would be easier because now the boots can go on or off just by tapping the touch screen instead of going into the menu all the time. I hadn't heard anything about actually changing the dungeon.

BehattedWanderer said:
And yet...what's with the ears? I had always thought that the pointy ears was just how the polygons came out on the N64. I didn't realize they actually had ears that stuck a foot off their head. Bizzare.
Nope, those are the normal ears. They've been that way since the very first Legend of Zelda [http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/0e/Link_LOZ_with_items.png/200px-Link_LOZ_with_items.png].

sylekage

Dec 24, 2008
I seriously just cried.

I watched that trailer, and man, did I get hit with so many memories.

I'm probably not gonna buy a 3DS, but damn, this game looks beautiful.

I'll agree with you, one of the best games ever made