Link Trades Epona in For "The Master Cycle" in Mario Kart 8 - Update

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Link Trades Epona in For "The Master Cycle" in Mario Kart 8 - Update

Link gives up the horse for something with a little more kick for his appearance in Mario Kart 8.

Update: Eiji Aonuma, the director for the Zelda franchise, has expressed interest [https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAAYUKlrPvX5hw] in the Master Cycle featuring in a future Zelda title. Could we possibly be getting the cyberpunk future dystopia themed Zelda we so desperately deserve? I'd like to hope so!

Source: Miiverse [https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAAYUKlrPvX5hw]

Original Story: We already knew that the first DLC pack for Mario Kart 8 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137073-Mario-Kart-8s-First-DLC-Packs-Detailed] would contain the hero of time as a playable character, as well as some Zelda-themed tracks to go with him, but we weren't quite expecting him to be getting his own vehicle. While Link's usual method of transportation is his trusty steed, Epona, the horse just wasn't going to cut it in the high-speed world of Mario Kart. So, Nintendo have seen fit to bestow upon Link "The Master Cycle," a badass Zelda-themed motorbike.

Behold:

Nintendo revealed the concept-art sketch of the bike via it's official Twitter account [https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/522430647143763968], promising that "The Master Cycle is part of the first DLC pack for Mario Kart 8 and has plenty of horse power." Hopefully we'll get to see it in action ahead of the DLC's November release.

Also included in Mario Kart 8's first DLC pack is a kart-version of Captain Falcon's iconic Blue Falcon racer, and Tanooki Mario and Cat Peach as playable characters.

Later on, in May 2015, the game's second DLC pack has an Animal Crossing theme, with the Villager and Isabelle being added as playable characters, along with Dry Bones Bowser, and two new cups.

Source: Nintendo [https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/522430647143763968]

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Is this Nintendo admitting that the Zelda series is getting stale and they might actually give in to making high technology mainstream in the next game, instead of unexplained ruins with robots flying around while the princess lives in an old stone building that likely lacks indoor plumbing? Probably not. But it is neat they're at least giving Link the motorcycle fans hoping for a technologically advanced Zelda wanted to see. I wonder how many will complain.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
So, this is Nintendo's "thing" now, is it? They've realised endless spin-off games of their, like, three surviving IPs are getting stale, so now every game is going to be a crossover mashup?

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
Anyone else a bit miffed that they opted to not put Link on Epona, galloping alongside speeding vehicles?

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
BrainWalker said:
tdylan said:
Anyone else a bit miffed that they opted to not put Link on Epona, galloping alongside speeding vehicles?
How the Hell do you drift on a horse?
Daytona found a way.

ejxyt5zYdps[/youtube]

:p

BrainWalker

Aug 6, 2009
xaszatm said:
BrainWalker said:
tdylan said:
How the Hell do you drift on a horse?
Daytona found a way.

ejxyt5zYdps[/youtube]

:p
I remember that! For some reason I thought it was a lot older. But I learned from the comments on that video that apparently Daytona USA on the Saturn actually did have an unlockable horse at some point!

¿?[/youtube]

It's about as goofy as I thought it would be.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Quite fitting they show this off with Epona being released as DLC in Hyrule Warriors. Now we need Samus using her gunship as a kart.

DynastyStar

Feb 12, 2014
I'm not into DLC, but these are the types of articles that I like. :) this was a good read, and I'm looking forward to seeing people that I follow on twitch/youtube play the game with the DLC.

gardian06

Jun 18, 2012
but wouldn't this future zelda game just be a shooter. maybe if they take inspiration from Killer7 it will all be ok.

jFr[e]ak93

Apr 9, 2010
The very thought of a cyberpunk Zelda game has me punching my computer with a wallet.

Seriously. That's two of my favourite things... in one place.

That's like ice cream covered waffles.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
"Could we possibly be getting the cyberpunk future dystopia themed Zelda we so desperately deserve?"

No, because that's a freakin' stupid idea. I understand being intentionally silly, but that's just trying too hard. i can't help but think that Aonuma is joking because while the series does have more technological elements like the robots in Skyward Sword and the trains in Spirit Tracks, but lines must be drawn.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Aiddon said:
"Could we possibly be getting the cyberpunk future dystopia themed Zelda we so desperately deserve?"

No, because that's a freakin' stupid idea. I understand being intentionally silly, but that's just trying too hard. i can't help but think that Aonuma is joking because while the series does have more technological elements like the robots in Skyward Sword and the trains in Spirit Tracks, but lines must be drawn.
Besides which, the obvious good idea is a mario kart/road rash hybrid with mario kart powerups and road rash violence. It would be the saints row of racing games.

jamail77

May 21, 2011
tdylan said:
Yep. It would be really funny to see for one thing. Plus, when you're playing friends and you manage to beat them they'll get all mad and be like "You're riding a freaking horse! How could you win against my tricked out car!?!?" and you could be all "You know, the tortoise ends up beating the arrogant hare" or "If you had the Triforce of Courage you'd be brave enough to try winning on the superior horse rather than trusting modern technology, the tool of cowards". I don't know; I'm not good with comebacks. The point is it'd look funny and the juxtaposition would probably make for fun gameplay especially if Epona could actually gallop as fast as the vehicles can drive.

In all honestly, I'd rather have the "Master Cycle" AND Epona. Best of both worlds. I mean, the "Master Cycle" does look pretty cool to me.

Keiichi Morisato

Nov 25, 2012
Aiddon said:
Quite fitting they show this off with Epona being released as DLC in Hyrule Warriors. Now we need Samus using her gunship as a kart.
or using her power suit as a motor cycle.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
As funny as it would be to see Epona going to head-to-head with a bunch of race karts, unless you can somehow mount monster truck wheels and a parachute on her, she'd be really out place. Not that it wouldn't be fucking hilarious to see, mind.

Still looking forward to playing as Isabelle more, though.

DragonWright

May 25, 2009
Sweet ride bro. ...shame I can't ride a 'cycle for my life.

tdylan said:
Not too late for them to make a Zelda Horse Racing franchise.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Mahorfeus said:
As funny as it would be to see Epona going to head-to-head with a bunch of race karts, unless you can somehow mount monster truck wheels and a parachute on her, she'd be really out place. Not that it wouldn't be fucking hilarious to see, mind.

Still looking forward to playing as Isabelle more, though.
nah, i want to see that horse diving into the ocean with the other karts at 30 mph or gliding upside down in a loop

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Aiddon said:

Let's be fair here. Nintendo has been wanting to do a future-related Zelda ever since Link to the Past. I don't think it would be that bad if they pull it off. But if they can't...yeah, it's gonna bomb hard.