Lionhead Officially Unveils Fable: Heroes

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
Well I don't hate the idea...
Seems like it could be good. Strange turn that is for sure. Fable tends to be dark and gritty. This seems very bright. But nevertheless it seems interesting so I will probably buy it.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
fluxy100 said:
Granted you have me there, but my point is that people are crying about wanting a new black and white and "the movies" while Lionhead has shown no interest in continuing those franchises. Yet people still get disappointed and angry when lionhead doesn't make one.
I never played The Movies (it didn't really appeal to me at the time after all). While another B & W would be nice, it is quite unlikely we will see another one anytime soon. The way I see it, it's the whole "morality" slant that Lionhead have being going for in recent times more than anything, something which Fable has satisfied their itch for. Though it's always seemed a tad simplistic at times in those games. Rebuild the orphanage, or turn it into a brothel? Uh, why not rebuild the orphanage and turn one of the other many unoccupied buildings on the other side of town into a brothel.

Anyway, going back to the XCOM thing, maybe the way to get a new Black & White game released will to have some company start work a Black & White FPS (however that would work, I don't know). Amidst the fan uproar - tada! - a new B&W strategy-type game appears!

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
R.I.P - Here Lies The Fable Franchise. Died sometime between 2004 and 2012.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
To all the people saying that this is ruining the fable franchise: remember Fable 3?
This seems like fun, and if it's cheap enough I'll probably get it. I've always liked mario party, and the backstabbing aspect sounds like a lot of fun.

bean burrito

Jul 10, 2009
The Red Dragon said:
I'm not going to dismiss it quite yet, it might be rather fun to play but c'mon Lionhead, why does this have to be another Fable game?
I agree... It seems like they could have released this as a new game series and it would have been just as good. I don't see what they gain by milking a dying brand name. What if they had another mythos, or some sort of unique humor that was the selling point instead of simply a brand name that used to be good?
*sigh*

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Looks pretty shitty. Like dungeon defenders.
I hope they got the memo that a game about nothing but killing things, killing things should feel satisfying.

As for this carrying the name fable, why?

Detective Prince

Feb 6, 2011
This can't be a Fable announcement. Where's Peter Molyneux tells me it'll bring back my dead cat? It's in his contract that he needs to be over the top about EVERY related to Fable...XD

Can't we have nice things anymore from Lionhead? :( Black & White was just too awesome. And I only really liked Fable 1....

fozzy360

I endorse Jurassic Park
Oct 20, 2009
Foolproof said:
Penguinplayer said:
Hey, Lionhead, remenber when you used to make good creative games like "The Movies" and "Black & White" instead of just things related to the Fable franchise?

Can't we go back to those days?
....no, I remember when they made sucky, overhyped games like The Movies and Black & White. Is that what you're referring to?
You best be trollin', amigo.

Heroes might be cool, or it might be terrible. Don't care too much about it, but it can't be any worse than Fable 3, right?

Right?

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
Eh. Well I can't say this appeals to me so I'll say this about Lionhead as a whole instead:

I'm not gonna say 'make another Black and White' because I wasn't really keen on em. If you'd removed the thing where you had to drag yourself along with a disembodied hand like a crawler zombie then I'd probably have liked them more.
What I'm going to say is this: If you keep making Fable games, stop adding stupid gimmicks. Stop adding all this emphasis on relationships with characters that it's impossible to care about because frankly without really good AI and a dialogue system beyond anything currently in existence they will never be anything more than pixels.
You cannot care about an in-game wife who communicates chiefly by laughing when you fart around her.
And stop trying to simplify everything. Having the red-screen edge thing instead of a health bar actually worked ok. The dog in place of the minimap was ok. But that doesn't mean you should also remove anything resembling depth in the combat system or levelling system or whatever. Come with something new by all means, but only implement it if it works better than the usual system employed by RPGs.
Gah.

If you're going to try and make a game feel dark and gritty, don't immediately undermine it with stupid dialogue and the aforementioned farting stuff. Or if you want to do both humour and grit, find writers who can genuinely mesh the two without one wrecking the other. Neil Gaiman is good at that. So is Christopher Brookmyre. Terry Pratchett could write an amazing fantasy game, although you'd probably have to pay a bomb to get him on your side. Talking of Terry, does anyone know how he's doing at the moment?

Back to Lionhead:

Reign molyneaux in. Keep him coming up with ideas, but by God don't let him be the one to decide which ideas are any good. And don't let him near the press. Ever.

Right. Okay. Time to calm down.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Looks like the Lionhead has lost its teeth.

Why in hell are they still banking on this mediocre franchise?

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
greenflash said:
vrbtny said:
R.I.P - Here Lies The Fable Franchise. Died sometime between 2004 and 1012.
I think you mean "somewhere between 2004 and 2012" not 1012
Thanks for that.... or maybe reverse time-travel!!!(colbert eyebrow dance)

srsly though, thanks for the heads-up