Lionsgate Waging a Legal War Over Expendables 3 Internet Leak

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Ajarat said:
For it to be copyright infringement, doesn't the IP holder have to take steps to ensure their work is protected?
If so, how is suing after copyright has been infringed considered "protecting" said copyright? The fact that it's being copied wholesale suggests to me that there was very little protecting the work, if anything at all, or that there was obviously inadequate protections placed upon the work. Sure, there are always going to be people that will find a way, but since they get mad over EVERY IP they make being copied I would suggest they care not for attempting to protect their work.
Well, I never could make it through the first expendables movie, wasn't even aware of the second, but I'll download this one just to be a pain in their lazy deluded behinds. Let's see how well they protected this copyright of theirs...
Oh, downloading already and I didn't even need trackers either! Didn't notice any protection at all. Thanks TPB, And Thanks Lionsgate, I still won't bother watching the movie though, not for free either. Downloaded and deleted, all within 5 minutes.
this lawsuit is considered part of protecting their copyright

Omnicrom

Jun 26, 2012
"...Recover all copies of the stolen film or any portion thereof they have distributed"...

Good luck with that is all I'm going to say. I don't begrudge them for filing suit over a movie being available before it even came out, especially a crap one they spent a lot of money on, but it'll take an act of god to remove every single file in existence out there. Good luck getting every single copy of the file off of each computer it's sitting on is all I'm saying.

I think Lionsgate probably has more justification for filing suit than a lot of other similar actions, but they're fighting a losing battle. This won't put a dent in the number of downloads, indeed on the contrary there's a good chance that confirming this is a real copy of the film will result in another demonstration of the Streisand effect and make it even easier to acquire.

Raynor Stott

May 31, 2014
And posting the fact the leak happened all over sites like this is really going to reduce the demand now.

BoredRolePlayer

Nov 9, 2010
Oh sweet it comes out on the weekend I'm taking off for my birthday, I know what I'm doing on Friday :). That said this reeeeaaallllyyy isn't a movie I would watch on a computer or a home theater system the first time (even if it is a bad ass set up). This is something you watch at the movies and go FUCK YEAH. Anyway, I wish them luck on getting those copies back, won't happen though :p.

The_Great_Galendo

Sep 14, 2012
Do you ever wonder, when you hear news like this, if maybe the studio leaked it on purpose? Like, maybe they realized that their movie sucked, at least compared to the budget they blew on it, so they figure they'll need an excuse to explain to their shareholders why their film won't make its money back. Leaking a copy of a bad film not only gives them a good excuse but also opens up the potential for lawsuits (which, if they can get one to stick against a deep-pocketed ISP, could be quite lucrative), potentially recouping all the money that their film wasted.

I mean, it's not terribly likely, and if their movie is actually good it becomes exceedingly less so, but without having seen the first two, I'm guessing that, as is common with third films in a series, this movie will not be a stellar example of its craft -- and given the credits list, I bet the cast didn't come cheap.

TristanBelmont

Nov 29, 2013
RJ 17 said:
.............the hell is Kelsey Grammer doing in this movie? Don't get me wrong, I love the guy and think he's a great actor. It's just when I think "80's/Early 90's Action Movie" (which all these movies are purely an homage to and almost even a parody of), I don't really think of Kelsey Grammer kicking ass and taking names.
You know, I actually thought this as well. Then I remembered he was the original Beast in the X-men movies.

then I still thought he wasn't a great fit but I still think it's badass that he's gonna be killing people with his doctor powers.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
TristanBelmont said:
RJ 17 said:
.............the hell is Kelsey Grammer doing in this movie? Don't get me wrong, I love the guy and think he's a great actor. It's just when I think "80's/Early 90's Action Movie" (which all these movies are purely an homage to and almost even a parody of), I don't really think of Kelsey Grammer kicking ass and taking names.
You know, I actually thought this as well. Then I remembered he was the original Beast in the X-men movies.

then I still thought he wasn't a great fit but I still think it's badass that he's gonna be killing people with his doctor powers.
Oh I agree, I actually thought he was a brilliant choice to play The Beast as he really has the perfect look for it and can very easily play the part of a sophisticated intellectual. Like I said, though, he's not really the first name that comes to mind when I think of over-the-top 80's/Early 90's Action Movies. The type of movies where the hero literally just stands in one spot, shooting from left to right and mowing down an entire line of guys with machine guns shooting at him...all while not even getting a scratch.

Caffiene

Jul 21, 2010
Falterfire said:
Alex Co said:
downloading a film and watching it for free is theft however you look at it
Not exactly. It's copyright infringement, but theft requires not just having something you didn't pay for but also depriving the original owner of it. Since digital copies are copies and leave the original owner in possession of the original, it's not theft.

Whether or not infringement is morally wrong or not is not an argument I'm particularly interested in having since it ultimately ends up devolving into unverifiable claims about whether somebody would have bought a movie/game/whatever had they not pirated it, but I'll stand by copyright infringement and theft not being the same thing.
Well said.

I honestly find it a little mystifying. I think there are legitimate arguments for why copyright infringement is the wrong thing to do, but when I see people equate infringement with theft I cant help but feel like its almost a admission of defeat. The message it sends, at least to me, is that people consider that it has to be theft in order to be a bad thing - or on the flip side, that if it isnt specifically theft then its ok.

Misrepresenting the actual act and trying to equate it with a somewhat stronger illegal act sends the message that the people using those arguments dont in fact believe their own position. Infringing copyright is immoral on its own - it doesnt need to be made into something its not for that to be true.

zumbledum

Nov 13, 2011
Alex Co said:
Say what you will about movies not being worth the price of admission, but downloading a film and watching it for free is theft however you look at it -- regardless if you think it's worth paying full admission price or not.
well about from actually , factually and legally i guess.

TristanBelmont

Nov 29, 2013
RJ 17 said:
TristanBelmont said:
RJ 17 said:

Oh I agree, I actually thought he was a brilliant choice to play The Beast as he really has the perfect look for it and can very easily play the part of a sophisticated intellectual. Like I said, though, he's not really the first name that comes to mind when I think of over-the-top 80's/Early 90's Action Movies. The type of movies where the hero literally just stands in one spot, shooting from left to right and mowing down an entire line of guys with machine guns shooting at him...all while not even getting a scratch.
Maybe he has a gun in his briefcase. Maybe he's been hiding the action hero side of himself this whole time. MAYBE HE'S THE TRUE EXPENDABLE

Ajarat

Apr 29, 2014
weirdee said:
this lawsuit is considered part of protecting their copyright
I understood that that is what they think, but I was under the impression that litigation is a reactionary method of reclaiming actual damages, not a method of protection for suing does nothing to actually prevent any such copyright infringement. Next time you want to argue, try fucking reading what someone has said.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
I wouldn't watch that garbage for free.

And despite the leak they're still going to be #1 at the boxoffice that weekend and they're still going to make lots of money off of a crappy movie just because that's how things work.

Shodanbot

Apr 7, 2013
Alex Co said:
...Last week, Thursday, Lionsgate filed a lawsuit in California against "John Does 1-10," and targets the people behind torrent sites: limetorrents, billionuploads, hulfile, played, swantshare and dotsemper, and "uses language that's similar to past mass 'Doe' complaints against torrent users."...
This is very surreal. It's stuff like this that a story of comedic excellence is waiting to be penned.

It's like suing Keyser Söze.

I wish them all the best with it.

raankh

Nov 28, 2007
"take all steps necessary to recall and recover all copies of the Stolen Film or any portion thereof that they have distributed,"
That line there just proves how far distanced from reality these film companies are. Yeah. Right. Revoke replicated information distributed across computers all over the world.

Welcome to the third millennium!

It sucks that their material was leaked, but smacking their faces against the Internets is just going to make them look bad.

Omnicrom

Jun 26, 2012
The_Great_Galendo said:
Do you ever wonder, when you hear news like this, if maybe the studio leaked it on purpose? Like, maybe they realized that their movie sucked, at least compared to the budget they blew on it, so they figure they'll need an excuse to explain to their shareholders why their film won't make its money back. Leaking a copy of a bad film not only gives them a good excuse but also opens up the potential for lawsuits (which, if they can get one to stick against a deep-pocketed ISP, could be quite lucrative), potentially recouping all the money that their film wasted.

I mean, it's not terribly likely, and if their movie is actually good it becomes exceedingly less so, but without having seen the first two, I'm guessing that, as is common with third films in a series, this movie will not be a stellar example of its craft -- and given the credits list, I bet the cast didn't come cheap.
I doubt this. For starters, despite being bad, The Expendables 1 and 2 both made zillions of dollars. Chances are good that this one will also turn a profit and make a zillion dollars. If they need a scapegoat they already have an excuse in its cast list, they spent too much on celebrities and nothing on making a good movie. Not like they'll need it probably, Expendables 1 and 2 brought in 3 times their hundred million budget in sales. Additionally a lawsuit probably isn't going to get back a hundred million dollars from a gaggle of anonymous people, so recouping losses is unlikely.

Basically Lionsgate had no reason to leak their own movie. A product being leaked before its official launch is about the only piracy I think might actually harm sales in a real way, and considering that Lionsgate sees all piracy as unilaterally evil I can only imagine how satanic they find pre-launch leaks.

Uratoh

Jun 10, 2011
Three Expendables movies and still no Reb Brown? For shame! I know he doesn't seem to have aged well, but all he really needs to do is yell and shoot a lot.

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
I knew a third Expendables movie was being made, but I had no idea it was releasing this month. Have they just not bothered to market the movie at all?