Little Chocobo Hints at Direct Sequel to Final Fantasy XIII

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Little Chocobo Hints at Direct Sequel to Final Fantasy XIII

A domain registration points toward the Final Fantasy X-2 treatment for Final Fantasy XIII.

In the PS2 era, Square Enix didn't want to let the popularity of Final Fantasy XIII [http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-X-Playstation-2/dp/B00005TNI6] could be in for the same treatment.

Supererogatory caught a domain registration [http://whois.domaintools.com/finalfantasy13-2game.com] for "FinalFantasy13-2game.com" made by Corporation Service Company. This might seem like someone else trying to get in on Square's business, but CSC is an official Square Enix registrant and has filed for many other domains in the past.

Square Enix uses "FinalFantasy13game.com" as its website for Final Fantasy XIII, so "FinalFantasy13-2game.com" is likely what it'd use for the direct sequel's website. The company has an event planned for January 18, 2011 called the Square Enix 1st Production Department Premiere, where the "1st Production Department" that worked on titles like Final Fantasy XIII will presumably be revealing something, or finally going over more details on the long awaited Final Fantasy Versus XIII [http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-Versus-XIII-Playstation-3/dp/B000ZK9QBY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1294933022&sr=8-2] for PlayStation 3 and Final Fantasy Agito XIII for PSP. The event would also be a good place to announce a title like Final Fantasy XIII-2.

If Final Fantasy XIII-2 is swimming around over at Square Enix, I'm wondering if the company would handle it the same way as X-2 or if it'd be more of an extension of XIII. Final Fantasy X-2 added new aspects of gameplay, such as a costume/job system, and allowed players to visit many different locations from the get-go in an airship. If the same were done for a XIII-2, it'd at least reduce any obligatory complaints about linearity.

Source: Supererogatory Twitter [http://twitter.com/#!/supererogatory]

Mike Laserbeam

Dec 10, 2010
But with the step down in quality from X to X-2 applied to XIII... Is it possible to make a game so poor...?

Josdeb

May 22, 2008
I guess this means I actually have to buckle down and finish XIII.
(Stupid save file and it's stupid dying... I was almost finished then, bang!, gone)

Oh, I should probably add that I was one of the 5 people on this planet who enjoyed X-2

Ishadus

Apr 3, 2010
Well....X was great (imo) and X-2 was terrible.

Here's hoping the laws of the universe dictate that XIII-2 must be good considering that XIII was terrible.

It's a beautiful place here in my fantasy land.

Kwatsu

Feb 21, 2007
Wait wait wait.

So there's Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Final Fantasy Agito XIII, and now a possible Final Fantasy XIII-2?

*nosebleed*

megs1120

Wing Commander
Jul 27, 2009
Josdeb said:
(Stupid save file and it's stupid dying... I was almost finished then, bang!, gone)

Oh, I should probably add that I was one of the 5 people on this planet who enjoyed X-2
Pssh, FFX-2 was rad! The Job System is the best thing ever to have come from the Final Fantasy series and it was awesome to see it come back.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
I'd play it.

Just have Sazh in it.
Same, I never really play much of FF13, but I watched my brother play it. Seemed really good. I enjoyed the story as well.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Further proof that they no longer have the ability to come up with a completely new world every time they make a Final Fantasy Game. Lazy buggers!

Final Fantasy XV now please.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Why?

Why make a sequel to a game that was so poorly received? This isn't like FFX; which was positively received at the time, FFXIII got some poor reviews, from both critics and fans - why would you want to make a sequel to such a terrible game? If it's additional content not used in the first game then there's DLC for that - if you want to "finish" the story of Lightning, as the writer, or designer or someone had previous stated...then that's a poor idea because the story of FFXIII was abysmal once you look behind the flash and melodrama.

I can't see the logic behind the move but then again this is Square-Enix; a company that has pretty much run Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Dragon Quest and pretty much any other series it had going for it into the ground...

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
megs1120 said:
Josdeb said:

Pssh, FFX-2 was rad! The Job System is the best thing ever to have come from the Final Fantasy series and it was awesome to see it come back.
Reminded me off FF5's job system. VERY good thing.

kingcom

Jan 14, 2009
All i can say in resposne to this is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5FTJxfV3pc

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
Hahaha. Color me interested. I think the paradigm system deserves another shot. Hopefully it would be more open world, and more freedom when powering-up your character.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
No. Bad. We've already seen that direct sequels don't work for Final Fantasy games. Spinoffs rarely work, either.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
I think we need to take Squeenix out back and put 'er down for good.

Seriously tho... ugh... Are the sales of these games really that good? I would have thought most people would have wised up by now and gone on to different, better JRPGs (or other genres).

midpipps

Feb 23, 2009
Really I don't get why everyone is so harsh on FF13 granted it was not the best in the series but I enjoyed it. I thought it was fun the story was fun and engaging the control system was definitely not my favorite but it worked and I never felt like I died because of it. I think overall it was a step above FF12 but did not quite reach FFX or FFVI status.

(Note: I do think the story was better in 12 but the controls are basically an mmo where you don't push any buttons.)

Batfred

Nov 11, 2009
I didn't hate FFXIII, but I am agreeing with the general consensus here: why expand a poor game when you can use the resources to build something new and good at a later date? Oh, economics and cashing in, silly me, of course.

Come on Square, you used to be good, don't ruin it.

Enagan

Nov 2, 2009
Please Square-enix... Don't launch XIII-2 before Versus XIII...
I've been waiting for Versus for so long... It looks so much better than regular XIII!