Little League Trained Me for Battlefield 3

Dennis Scimeca

Mar 29, 2010
Little League Trained Me for Battlefield 3

In baseball or Battlefield, teamwork is teamwork.

Read Full Article

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
I for one love team work video games and can't stand death match games as I find them boring with little objective.

One teaches that everyone is important and you have to work together to succeed.

The other, in my opinion, makes some people self centered and self entitled. It's the kind of vibe I get whenever I played a game like Cod, or even when people coming from Cod play Battlefield. Too often do I hear someone whining about "this game sucks because I don't have kill streaks" or some other similar comparison involving Cod.

Battlefield is easily one of those games where you can't lone wolf your way through, simply because you ability to get kills doesn't necessarily help anyone, and you end up losing. Everyone needs to play their role if the team as a whole hopes to succeed.

The ability of a person to cooperate, lead a team, or support their fellow team mates is a great show of character regardless if it's a outdoor sport or a video game.

Also, in regards to the cheaters/glitchers: I hate those people, I can't understand how someone can be so desperate to win that they have to go out of their way to exploit certain aspects of the game and ruin it for everyone else. Frequently I come across those snipers in one of the Karkand maps who use the MAV, not to spot for their team, but give them a boost so that they can get to a building that has no conventional means of accessing. I'm the guy who plays recon and specifically hunts for those people. Generally, they're not as good a shot as me. ;)

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Wait, you play against teams that don't yell obscenities and racial slurs every minute? Where are you finding these people?

TheCakeisALie87

Jun 7, 2010
I loved this column, and not just because I have fond memories of playing baseball as a kid. I think the middle section about not using cheap tactics could be its own article. Do you know a way of getting strangers to not use these tactics? It is amazing how things like the "noob tube" used to be a banner of shame, but is now a basis for many of the matches I play online.

Enslave_All_Elves

Mar 31, 2011
Oh is that what sports teaches people? I uhhh... didn't know because I was busy Street Fightering it up back then (fat kid! everyday I was trufflin' shufflin'). I dunno seems pretty common sense to me.

Then again, I play as a team member and I nearly always make top 3... what do I know? Nothing if you listen to the people I yell at. "Why do you yell at them?" Because I asked nicely the first five times and apparently their ear holes are clogged with fuckstupid. That or they gave up communicating like a normal human being because no option exists for people to travel through the internet, popping out of a loudmouths system like a genie so you can hurl a brick at them. Seriously, it is hurting teamwork and worsening gameplay.

I do the MAV glitch though. I don't always have my squad, so if the enemy does it I toss fairness aside. If that isn't an option (sometimes hard to find a spot to ride up), then I counter camp with my sniper or grab a mortar and rain doom on them. I don't usually mortar because I'm good at it. I hit moving vehicles and preempt people who run from me... in short I'm "That Guy." Glitchers and campers will be dealt with swiftly.

-Torchedini-

Gone Bonzo
Dec 28, 2009
The tank thing is what I do after assessing the current situation and then deciding. Also if it is green then I almost always revive. But when a teammate steals your tank it is a little annoying.

Good to hear that Im not the only one doing it this way round.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
I found this column very interesting. It's good to see that others have a similar approach to multiplayer games as I do.

-Torchedini-

Gone Bonzo
Dec 28, 2009
weirdguy said:
Wait, you play against teams that don't yell obscenities and racial slurs every minute? Where are you finding these people?
on pc, where one does not simply have ingame voice. There is the chat window but that's easily ingored. And you can use teamspeak to voicechat with your friends.

The only thing I want to come from the xbox to pc is the squad join. That would be awesome.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
weirdguy said:
I for one play on servers that kick for abusive language. Unfortunately BF3 on PC doesn't have fully functioning teamspeak, so the only people you can talk to are the ones you know.

I am in total agreement, although swap Baseball with Soccer. I was an average player, and all the lessons I learnt I learnt playing in defense. You will never be a star in defense, but you can make a big contribution to the team. you certainly learn to take one for the team.

In regards fairness I don't use the INVR (except in Tehran where it is night), the USAS-12, frag rounds for shotguns, or the FAMAS (I did get a service star in it because I'm a grind monkey) because I don't want to be "that guy" in BF3. In regards the "noob tube" in BF3 I don't think it is as easy to use as in other games. I use the grenade launcher a lot in BF3 as an anti sniper weapon, if someone is sniping from a window or roof top I'll pop a couple of grenades their way and at the very least I'll destroy their cover, allowing my squad mates to shower their position in bullets. It also gives the assault class a weapon that can damage vehicles, if somewhat ineffective it is a good distraction so engineers can get out of cover and do some real damage.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
I'd have to disagree with you on your stances about cheap strategies, simply because there's no such thing. People often used to whine about witches in MW2 when all it took to kill them was to play a bit more carefully and take a longer range weapon. If there's a strategy that gives me an edge that isn't cheating, I'll utilise it to the fullest.

Averant

Jul 6, 2010
octafish said:
weirdguy said:
I for one play on servers that kick for abusive language. Unfortunately BF3 on PC doesn't have fully functioning teamspeak, so the only people you can talk to are the ones you know.

I am in total agreement, although swap Baseball with Soccer. I was an average player, and all the lessons I learnt I learnt playing in defense. You will never be a star in defense, but you can make a big contribution to the team. you certainly learn to take one for the team.

In regards fairness I don't use the INVR (except in Tehran where it is night), the USAS-12, frag rounds for shotguns, or the FAMAS (I did get a service star in it because I'm a grind monkey) because I don't want to be "that guy" in BF3. In regards the "noob tube" in BF3 I don't think it is as easy to use as in other games. I use the grenade launcher a lot in BF3 as an anti sniper weapon, if someone is sniping from a window or roof top I'll pop a couple of grenades their way and at the very least I'll destroy their cover, allowing my squad mates to shower their position in bullets. It also gives the assault class a weapon that can damage vehicles, if somewhat ineffective it is a good distraction so engineers can get out of cover and do some real damage.
Hah, I remember the first time I came across someone using frag rounds. I turned the corner, and it looked like I got hit with IFV rounds from an autoshotgun. Which then had me wondering how the hell he was able to hack on the Xbox.

Noob tubing is really only useful against buildings and in long tunnels. Anything else there's a decent chance you'll only hit them with the blast fringe. As for grenades, smoke rounds are honestly more useful than an underslung frag on Offense, though the smoke stays for far too short a time.

As for the INVR? Takes to long to scope it. I'm frequently at CQ, if I have to stop to scope at that range, I'm as good as dead.

I do like me some FAMAS, though...

Bishop99999999

Dec 6, 2007
I'd have to say the Army trained me for Battlefield 3.

Well, a part of it.

I was impressed by how useful BF3 makes a squad machine gun with a bipod and M145 sight. Set up a good overwatch position with a stable firing base, and you can engage folks at distances that are usually reserved for snipers. With the suppression mechanic, it is the most realistic implementation of a machine gun I've seen in a game. Leaps and bounds better than the MGs in CoD, which are basically just assault rifles with larger magazines and longer reload times.

Well done BF3.

Al-Bundy-da-G

Apr 11, 2011
Waaghpowa said:
I for one love team work video games and can't stand death match games as I find them boring with little objective.

One teaches that everyone is important and you have to work together to succeed.

The other, in my opinion, makes some people self centered and self entitled. It's the kind of vibe I get whenever I played a game like Cod, or even when people coming from Cod play Battlefield. Too often do I hear someone whining about "this game sucks because I don't have kill streaks" or some other similar comparison involving Cod.
Yea the difference between the two is essentially CoD has you playing as a one man wrecking crew and BF focuses of teamwork.

I usually play recon and have all but mastered the default rifle to the point where I can headshot an entire squad from across the map to keep them off the bomb my team planted. That being said I'm useless with assault engineer and support. On Cod exact opposite... Still trying to find out why.