Little things that Shape your life towards the Annoying.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I hate being asked how I'm doing in the morning. I know people are just trying to be friendly and seeing how I'm doing but I always just think, "I just got up an hour ago and still aren't all here yet and nothing interesting has happened, how the hell should I know how I'm doing yet?" The only answer I got at that point is, "I guess I'm ok?" which just makes people think I'm hiding something.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
When people say goodbye with "Have a blessed day." It happens so often where I live, that I have to actively keep my mind aware for it, so I don't reflexively go "You too." Because my default phrase is "have a nice day" or "you take care." if I'm the one ending the conversation. A nice generic, neutral statement of farewell. But no, I have to curb my reflex and change it so I don't say "You too." and tacitly support their mystical hoodoo thinking. And before anyone tries to defend it, I can fucking guarantee you if I used some other religion's farewell statement, they would get offended that I did it to them.
On that one I generally actually reply with a smile and heart-felt "inshallah." It does usually infuriate the kind of people that say "have a blessed day," but usually all they do is fume and sputter and leave... and that's generally what I wanted anyway. On other occasions, someone doesn't understand it and I can just walk away laughing to myself. And on very rare occasions someone will understand the sentiment behind what I said and accept it at face value, and restore a little of my faith in humanity. Other times an argument does start. And I'm not Islamic, but I did study comparative theology (pre 9\11 so it wasn't tainted by post 9\11 islamaphobia) and can convincingly "back it up" pretty well. It helps that even though I am white and was born in the U.S. and in a Christian family, I have a name with Arabic roots. Not that Mom knew that, mind you. And when the theology argument starts I can usually just mic drop the Abrahamic religions bombshell on them. Telling them they worship the same God the "terrorists" do is one of the warm-glowiest feelings I can describe.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I'm primarily an English speaker, which obviously is not very common where I live. I'm not the most fluent in our language, but I can get by in normal conversation (just don't ask me to write anything lmao).

But it really fucking annoys me when someone says something to me in Filipino, I ask them to repeat it because my hearing is terrible, and they repeat themselves in English. Shit bruh this is exactly why I never mastered the language in the first place, because people refused to talk to me in it.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Something just popped up re: the missus. She's one of those "I don't want [insert food/drink here] (but I really do)" types (in fairness, so am I at times), but since we're both kind of childish at times and often get a kick out of trolling each other, we'll usually let this sort of slide (I'm guilty of it too as mentioned). It can be a little irritating though when I've already reiterated things though, when I give some of the whatever it is I'm having to her and she'll turn her nose up at it. I'm drinking a Spanish soda and I told her it's got beer in it. I repeat, it's got beer in it. She has a sip anyway and goes "I don't like beer". Honey, I love you, but I frickin' told you it's got beer in it! -_-

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Something just popped up re: the missus. She's one of those "I don't want [insert food/drink here] (but I really do)" types (in fairness, so am I at times), but since we're both kind of childish at times and often get a kick out of trolling each other, we'll usually let this sort of slide (I'm guilty of it too as mentioned). It can be a little irritating though when I've already reiterated things though, when I give some of the whatever it is I'm having to her and she'll turn her nose up at it. I'm drinking a Spanish soda and I told her it's got beer in it. I repeat, it's got beer in it. She has a sip anyway and goes "I don't like beer". Honey, I love you, but I frickin' told you it's got beer in it! -_-
This is kind of similar to something my wife does, that irks me. She will have an impulse craving for some chocolate that she saw at the checkout register at a store, and buy it. And to cover the fact that she's clearly just buying it for herself, because she has ZERO impulse control, she'll buy a second candy bar for ME, even though I didn't ask for it, and actively try and avoid sweets ever since I was told I'm pre-diabetic.

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
So, spent most of yesterday feeling like I had something stuck in my shoe. Feeling followed my foot out of my shoe, still couldn't find anything. This morning, got annoying enough that I took a close look at the bottom of my foot and found I had a splinter about 1/3-1/2 inch long running under the skin under the joint on one of the outer toes. Since it seems to be completely embedded into my skin, I get to sit in a hospital waiting to have it removed.

Reactions: happyninja42

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
This cracks me up. It reminds me of a time, that I was INVITED BY SOMEONE ELSE, to join her and her daughter for a birthday party/lunch thing, and ended up finding myself being the deciding factor on where we were going to have the party. Between the daughter not wanting to put us out with undo effort for her, thus turning down going to a place like Chuckee Cheese, to the mother not being able to climb stairs due to an injury, and thus unable to go to a gaming/restaurant on a 3rd floor, to about 3 other options that they both "I dunno, I'm fine with whatever you want"-d their way out of, I found myself on the phone, suddenly being the deciding factor.

And I flat out told her "...ok wait, YOU called ME to join YOU for this event, how the fuck did *I* end up being the one coordinating this shit?!" which made her laugh guiltily, because my wife and I have given her shit for all the years we've known her, about acting like that.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
This cracks me up. It reminds me of a time, that I was INVITED BY SOMEONE ELSE, to join her and her daughter for a birthday party/lunch thing, and ended up finding myself being the deciding factor on where we were going to have the party. Between the daughter not wanting to put us out with undo effort for her, thus turning down going to a place like Chuckee Cheese, to the mother not being able to climb stairs due to an injury, and thus unable to go to a gaming/restaurant on a 3rd floor, to about 3 other options that they both "I dunno, I'm fine with whatever you want"-d their way out of, I found myself on the phone, suddenly being the deciding factor.

And I flat out told her "...ok wait, YOU called ME to join YOU for this event, how the fuck did *I* end up being the one coordinating this shit?!" which made her laugh guiltily, because my wife and I have given her shit for all the years we've known her, about acting like that.
That's ridiculous. How do you plan a party, invite guests and everything, literally without having a plan??

Closest I can come to anything that absurd is an anecdote from high school. Not even sure if it's true or not; might have easily been an urban legend isolated to my school, but our Spanish teacher was... odd. Really tall, very skinny and gaunt with an abnormally deep voice, but was a really nice guy if a scosh severe in appearance. But ostensibly, he invited another teacher (our Belgian French teacher) over to his place for dinner, and "dinner" was tuna fish salad on soda crackers, like $6 worth of food.

Thinking about it now, +20 years removed from high school and an adult myself, I'm fairly certain that can't be true. He ended up marrying that French teacher after all, and I can't imagine a date like that would have warranted another date let alone the eventual life-long commitment.

Reactions: happyninja42

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
That's ridiculous. How do you plan a party, invite guests and everything, literally without having a plan??

Closest I can come to anything that absurd is an anecdote from high school. Not even sure if it's true or not; might have easily been an urban legend isolated to my school, but our Spanish teacher was... odd. Really tall, very skinny and gaunt with an abnormally deep voice, but was a really nice guy if a scosh severe in appearance. But ostensibly, he invited another teacher (our Belgian French teacher) over to his place for dinner, and "dinner" was tuna fish salad on soda crackers, like $6 worth of food.

Thinking about it now, +20 years removed from high school and an adult myself, I'm fairly certain that can't be true. He ended up marrying that French teacher after all, and I can't imagine a date like that would have warranted another date let alone the eventual life-long commitment.
Yeah I doubt that too, that sounds like the Richard Gere + Gerbil thing, and similar school myths that just float around collections of children without any basis. I had one about me pop up actually. Short version: A kid at school that, for whatever reason didn't like me, dumped a bag of chips on me as I was sitting in the gym, waiting for the class period to end. He had gone down the row, offering it to everyone, who all declined. I also declined, and for whatever reason, he chose me to dump them on. I got annoyed, and called him a fucking *****. He got up in my face and told me to say it again, I did, and he proceeded to hit me in the jaw twice, before the coach saw it, and sent us to the office. By the time we got done with the admin, and I went back to class (2 classes later), the story had blossomed up to him "beating my ass repeatedly, while I was screaming "I'm Sorry I'm Sorry!" This is not what happened, as I barely had time to say anything other than "You fucking *****. I called you a fucking *****" before he popped me in the mouth. Now, it hurt sure, but it was hardly the end of the world as far as injuries go. But that's not going to get in the way of the child rumor mill, making something outlandish.

As to my friend's situation, it wasn't like a huge party or anything, it was just the 3 of us. When she's actually coordinating a large party, she's more decisive. But, that day, for that unique situation, they were both indecisive as hell.