LittleBigPlanet 2 Changes the Game by Letting You Design It

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
LittleBigPlanet 2 Changes the Game by Letting You Design It

If you thought LittleBigPlanet 2 [http://www.amazon.com/LittleBigPlanet-Game-Year-Playstation-3/dp/B002ELCUUG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278513430&sr=1-1] has in store.

If information coming out of NeoGAF [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=394825] is accurate, the June 2010 issue of Game Informer is set to confirm the release of Sony and Media Molecule's LittleBigPlanet 2 for the PlayStation 3. Players won't only be creating levels this time though, they'll be creating entire games.

According to the post, LittleBigPlanet 2 encourages players to create game types, including "shooters, racers, puzzle games, Space Invaders clones, and even RPGs." For example, a Media Molecule developer has already created a Command & Conquer clone. Players (designers?) can create their own HUDs (health bars, etc.), record their own sounds, and create enemies with unique and deeper AI than in LittleBigPlanet. The ability to make cutscenes and short films is also being implemented.

One of the most awesome bits of info is how levels can be saved to a QR code [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QR_Code] and printed out. When the QR code is put in front of the PlayStation Eye, it'll load up the level. LittleBigPlanet 2 will also give players a unique profile online where people can preview their stages.

Story mode will focus more on periods of time rather than regions, and will work much in the same way as the first game with 3-planes to move between. The NeoGAF post has spoilers for some of the levels if you care to read about them. LittleBigPlanet DLC and costumes will thankfully transfer over to the sequel as well, so you can still be a Medusa wearing a tutu if you choose.

Sony and Media Molecule had plenty of trouble dealing with players' creations from the now seemingly limited level creator in LittleBigPlanet, and it seems like they'll have a much grosser can of worms on their hands with a complete game editor. If that's what they want to get themselves into, fine, because this stuff sounds incredible.

Source: NeoGAF [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=394825]

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
As a non PS3 gamer, what do they mean "limited" on the level designer? Was it neutered after all the infringement issues, or what?

D0WNT0WN

Sep 28, 2008
This sounds awesome but the community will probably abuse it with Penises.

God I love the internet.

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
Damn. This is some SERIOUS impressive tech. I want.

D0WNT0WN said:
This sounds awesome but the community will probably abuse it with Penises.

God I love the internet.
Oh. Isn't that the point? Penises for everybody[sub]My kind of democracy![/sub]?

Ragnar Homsar

Feb 11, 2010
A Command and Conquer clone on a sequel to a platformer. The mind boggles.

Once actual footage of the LBP2 game editor shows up, I'm gonna pre order it.

Though the bugs that'll arise from poorly made levels/games make me a bit skeptical, I'm still excited for the actual good levels/games.

spinFX

Aug 18, 2008
When will the PS3 be worth the money? I mean if I didn't already have a 360 and a gaming PC it would be worth it but as it is... I can't justify having yet another console for about 5 exclusive titles that are good.

inFamous
LBP2 (not 1, 1 wasn't quite good enough)
Uncharted 1 and 2
I want to say MGS4 but I haven't played an MGS since it was on the PS1
God of War 3

And that's all I want from a PS3 :S

Potato21

Dec 17, 2009
Starke said:
As a non PS3 gamer, what do they mean "limited" on the level designer? Was it neutered after all the infringement issues, or what?
You only really could make levels like those in the actual game. Sure some smart cookies found ways around this to make interesting levels, but that was a lot more complex than what you'll have to to do in the sequel by the sounds of it.Cutscenes weren't really all that possible in the first either, nor were custom HUDs (unless you were one of those smart cookies I mentioned earlier, but even then they were basic)

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Sounds great! Since they where so strict on clone games like Mario, etc last time they may have shot themselves in the foot. In LBP the best I could build was a rocket propelled Balloon so I won't do well in this one.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Hehe! Well, they certainly developed it in the right direction! Nice to see its keeping the innovation!

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009
Good God...This is awesome.

I really want a RPG in LBP, sooo...Fucking perfect, if you ask me.

Maybe I will buy a PS3 for my birthday.

Pandora92

Apr 2, 2010
Give me Source SDK any day of the week, this sounds like they're making a developer toolkit as user friendly as possible and then trying to sell it as a game.

laryri

May 19, 2008
spinFX said:
When will the PS3 be worth the money? I mean if I didn't already have a 360 and a gaming PC it would be worth it but as it is... I can't justify having yet another console for about 5 exclusive titles that are good.

inFamous
Uncharted 1 and 2
God of War 3

You aren't going to know all the good games for a system if you don't have it. Trust me, there are more.

OT: I am extremely skeptical about this. You can't really make an RPG in a filesize fit to be a level for a game.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I'm so excited. Little Big Planet is my second favorite PS3 game, it's really amazing.

spinFX

Aug 18, 2008
laryri said:
spinFX said:

inFamous
Uncharted 1 and 2
God of War 3

You aren't going to know all the good games for a system if you don't have it. Trust me, there are more.

OT: I am extremely skeptical about this. You can't really make an RPG in a filesize fit to be a level for a game.
Metacritic knows all :p Besides I have friends with PS3s.