Live-Action Half-Life Series Hits Kickstarter Goal

Josh Engen

New member
Aug 19, 2013
569
0
0
Live-Action Half-Life Series Hits Kickstarter Goal



A group of filmmakers is asking Half-Life fans to support an upcoming live-action series called The Freeman Chronicles.

Unfortunately, Half-Life 3 probably won't hit the market for quite a while. But while we wait, the folks at Chariotdrive and Infectious Designer are teaming up to produce a live-action series based on the Half-Life franchise.

If the Kickstarter description is accurate, The Freeman Chronicles will be a "thrilling, action, horror series featuring one of the greatest video game characters of all time." Chariotdrive and Infectious Designer are planning to create several short films starring everyone's favorite crowbar-wielding scientist: Gordon Freeman.

Once finished, all of the films will be freely available, and the filmmakers will make exactly zero dollars in profit. This should alleviate any copyright issues that might arise, unless Valve decides that Chariotdrive is somehow deteriorating the Half-Life brand. But that seems unlikely. Valve is usually extremely supportive of fan-made projects like this.

Half-Life fans have already donated nearly $20,000, which is well past the $12,000 goal. With 15 days left in the campaign, Chariotdrive has set its sights on $25,000, which would allow a couple of CGI Vortigaunts to join the fun.

These filmmakers have already produced a number of extremely high-quality video game films, including two Half-Life flicks. So, if you're worried about wasting money on a donation, feel free to check out their Kickstarter page [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120039-Impressive-Hollywood-Fan-Film-Brings-Half-Life-Alive].

Source: Kickstarter [https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/half-life/half-life-live-action-film-the-freeman-chronicles?ref=category]

Permalink
 

Falterfire

New member
Jul 9, 2012
810
0
0
... Have they talked to Valve about this? Because as cool as Valve usually is about fan stuff, I think 'not illegal' is something I'd look at ensuring my project was before I kickstartered it.
 

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
8,977
0
0
Falterfire said:
... Have they talked to Valve about this? Because as cool as Valve usually is about fan stuff, I think 'not illegal' is something I'd look at ensuring my project was before I kickstartered it.
Agreed. There's fan tributes, then there are $25,000 fan projects.
If the first "real" transition from half-life to an actual video series is done by fans I could see why Valve would be a bit protective of their IP. At the very least, this seems like a detail you would work out before you ask people for tens of thousands of dollars.
 

MrBaskerville

New member
Mar 15, 2011
871
0
0
How is Gordon Freeman "one of the greatest video game characters of all time"? I must be missing something. An entire series where Mr "No Personality" runs around might not be the most appealing thing i can think of.
 

Rossco64

New member
Apr 14, 2009
173
0
0
I'm not really a fan of these sort of Kickstarters. It's like asking people to fund your fan-fiction.
 

Infernai

New member
Apr 14, 2009
2,605
0
0
MrBaskerville said:
How is Gordon Freeman "one of the greatest video game characters of all time"? I must be missing something. An entire series where Mr "No Personality" runs around might not be the most appealing thing i can think of.
You've clearly never seen Freemans mind. He shows of alot of his personality there.
 

Zefar

New member
May 11, 2009
485
0
0
You know how fans hate the very idea of movie makers making a bad game movie. Well this is that but far worse. Not only will it conflict with everyone else but it will ALSO have even shittier actors. Movies of games might not have had the best actors buuuuut the ones I've seen the actors have at least been quite ok.

I have very little faith in this.

Infernai said:
MrBaskerville said:
How is Gordon Freeman "one of the greatest video game characters of all time"? I must be missing something. An entire series where Mr "No Personality" runs around might not be the most appealing thing i can think of.
You've clearly never seen Freemans mind. He shows of alot of his personality there.
I have actually seen that youtube video and while it's fun and all I doubt that's how Freeman would be.
 

Josh Engen

New member
Aug 19, 2013
569
0
0
Zefar said:
You know how fans hate the very idea of movie makers making a bad game movie. Well this is that but far worse. Not only will it conflict with everyone else but it will ALSO have even shittier actors. Movies of games might not have had the best actors buuuuut the ones I've seen the actors have at least been quite ok.

I have very little faith in this.

Infernai said:
MrBaskerville said:
How is Gordon Freeman "one of the greatest video game characters of all time"? I must be missing something. An entire series where Mr "No Personality" runs around might not be the most appealing thing i can think of.
You've clearly never seen Freemans mind. He shows of alot of his personality there.
I have actually seen that youtube video and while it's fun and all I doubt that's how Freeman would be.
I'm pretty sure he's being sarcastic.
 

truckspond

New member
Oct 26, 2013
403
0
0
Zefar said:
You know how fans hate the very idea of movie makers making a bad game movie. Well this is that but far worse. Not only will it conflict with everyone else but it will ALSO have even shittier actors. Movies of games might not have had the best actors buuuuut the ones I've seen the actors have at least been quite ok.

I have very little faith in this.

Infernai said:
MrBaskerville said:
How is Gordon Freeman "one of the greatest video game characters of all time"? I must be missing something. An entire series where Mr "No Personality" runs around might not be the most appealing thing i can think of.
You've clearly never seen Freemans mind. He shows of alot of his personality there.
I have actually seen that youtube video and while it's fun and all I doubt that's how Freeman would be.
Have you seen the other 40+ videos in the series?
 

Zefar

New member
May 11, 2009
485
0
0
truckspond said:
Have you seen the other 40+ videos in the series?
I've seen them all. I still stand by what I said. I doubt Gordon Freeman would act and think like that. Not counting the pirate joke episode. The guy doesn't know what Shield items are. He has them in his own locker.