Live-Action Halo Dawns This October

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Live-Action Halo Dawns This October

Microsoft doesn't need a deal with Hollywood to create a feature film.

The ill-fated Halo movie may have already received its 21-gun salute, but that hasn't stopped 343 Industries from forging ahead with its theatrical efforts. Earlier this year, Microsoft announced Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn, a five-part live-action web series set in the Halo-verse. Judging from the ambitious scope of the project, the concept of a full-length Halo film may just come to fruition.

The series, which was filmed in Vancouver, likely cost between $5 million and $10 million to produce, according to insider estimations. Tom Green takes on the lead role as a cadet in a UNSC military academy, with Daniel Cudmore donning the iconic Mjolnir armor as Master Chief.

Forward Unto Dawn is a prequel to the Halo trilogy. The story revolves around the first contact with the Covenant, the long-standing alien villains of the series. Director Stewart Hendler aims to humanize the series, rather than continue the larger-than-life feel of the games. "I wanted to bring a sense of reality and gravity to the world," Hendler explained. "Everything from the performances to the aesthetics should be tethered to a sense of authenticity and grittiness." Despite the new tone, the live-action adaptation will be taking no artistic liberties with the existing lore - 343 has made sure of that. "They were checking every costume stitch, the placement of LEDs on the guns, and the bevels on the visors," Hendler said.

Microsoft has partnered with Machinima to get the series to viewers. The first webisode is scheduled to go live on October 5, with new installments airing weekly leading up to the release of Halo 4. Special editions of the game will include Forward Unto Dawn compiled into a movie with 15 minutes of additional footage. The complete film will also be available on DVD, Blue-ray, and digitally.

Source: LA Times [http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2012/07/11/halo-4-forward-unto-dawn-will-be-the-first-halo-movie/#/0]

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
I was watching for actors that I knew.
Then I saw the older sister from Narnia and flipped.

Always had a little celebrity crush on her XD

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Oh, good. Now an utterly generic, boring action game can become an utterly generic, boring action movie. Progress!

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
RJ Dalton said:
Oh, good. Now an utterly generic, boring action game can become an utterly generic, boring action movie. Progress!
Oh, good. Now an utterly generic, boring comment can become an utterly generic, boring attempt at being funny. Progress!

>.>

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Korten12 said:
RJ Dalton said:
Oh, good. Now an utterly generic, boring comment can become an utterly generic, boring attempt at being funny. Progress!

>.>
Oh, good. Now an utterly generic, boring retort can become an utterly generic, boring verbal slap-fight. Congress!

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
RJ Dalton said:
Korten12 said:
RJ Dalton said:

>.>
Oh, good. Now an utterly generic, boring retort can become an utterly generic, boring verbal slap-fight. Congress!
Okay honest question here:

What makes Halo generic?

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Halo has always had some rather cool live action adverts, so despite never being hugely into Halo I think it could be good. It'll probably look good at the very least.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
saintdane05 said:
Seriously, how can anything be better than this?

http://roosterteeth.com/archive/?id=4991
Um... That is all CGI, real life has it's limits. Plus while RvB is good, it's story has some faults.

Plus they're to seperate things, this is based soley in Halo lore and is Live action, while RvB is in their version of Halo lore with CGI + ingame graphics.

:p

WonderWillard

Feb 4, 2010
Korten12 said:
RJ Dalton said:
Korten12 said:
RJ Dalton said:

>.>

What makes Halo generic?
Yeah, seriously. Halo has an incredibly vibrant and unique art design, and call the gameplay what you want, but I think it's anything but boring... But it's also popular, which means it's the cool thing to hate on it. So yeah, uh, fuck Halo, karma please.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Korten12 said:
RJ Dalton said:
Korten12 said:
RJ Dalton said:

>.>

What makes Halo generic?
Ah! You broke the combo first. Just as well, I suppose. If this thread had gone on like that any longer, the mods would probably have dropped the ban-hammer.

But as to what makes Halo generic; firstly it's a lack of original ideas, or original presentation of its ideas. Aside from a few changes to minute details (most of which are lifted wholly from other sources) the basic idea of Halo is indistinguishable from any other power-armored space marine story. Master Chief has no character beyond being a soldier. The universe in which Halo takes place feels hollow, because it's just a checklist of standard tropes of the genre.
Gameplay-wise, the game is adequate, but is nothing more than the standard run-and-gun gameplay of just about every shooter in the genre made in the last ten years. Even Call of Duty surpassed it in terms of innovation with a few moments in the first Modern Warfare game.
About all you can say about it is that it's competently put together, so there's nothing that gets in the way of enjoying it, if you enjoy that sort of thing.
It works, but it never does anything spectacular, yet consistently gets labeled as one of the greatest games ever made. It therefore earns snarky remarks from me at most turns, but gets no real strong hatred. It's a game which I find myself entirely unable to build up any passion for, positive or negative, and I wouldn't even bother with snark if many people hadn't responded to my statement that it really wasn't as good as people made it out to be with "OMYGOD!!! U so STOOPID!!!!1" and annoyed me.
Also, I'm sort of a troll. http://youtu.be/Npkhyeotzog

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
RJ Dalton said:
Korten12 said:
RJ Dalton said:
Korten12 said:
RJ Dalton said:

>.>

What makes Halo generic?
Ah! You broke the combo first. Just as well, I suppose. If this thread had gone on like that any longer, the mods would probably have dropped the ban-hammer.

But as to what makes Halo generic; firstly it's a lack of original ideas, or original presentation of its ideas. Aside from a few changes to minute details (most of which are lifted wholly from other sources) the basic idea of Halo is indistinguishable from any other power-armored space marine story. Master Chief has no character beyond being a soldier. The universe in which Halo takes place feels hollow, because it's just a checklist of standard tropes of the genre.
Gameplay-wise, the game is adequate, but is nothing more than the standard run-and-gun gameplay of just about every shooter in the genre made in the last ten years. Even Call of Duty surpassed it in terms of innovation with a few moments in the first Modern Warfare game.
About all you can say about it is that it's competently put together, so there's nothing that gets in the way of enjoying it, if you enjoy that sort of thing.
It works, but it never does anything spectacular, yet consistently gets labeled as one of the greatest games ever made. It therefore earns snarky remarks from me at most turns, but gets no real strong hatred. It's a game which I find myself entirely unable to build up any passion for, positive or negative, and I wouldn't even bother with snark if many people hadn't responded to my statement that it really wasn't as good as people made it out to be with "OMYGOD!!! U so STOOPID!!!!1" and annoyed me.
Also, I'm sort of a troll. http://youtu.be/Npkhyeotzog
Yeah, you're kind of missing the point... Halo seems generic because all modern shooters rip it off shamelessly. By the way, how was CoDs co-op campaign? And how were the vehicle sections? And how... nevermind.

More on topic... if it's Tom Green as in the Tom Green Show... I swore I'd never watch anything with him in it again. That man is more of an embarrasment to Canada then Justin Beiber.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Now this is going to be good. It's about time we got a proper live-action Halo series. Hell, we already have an anime :p.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Nimzabaat said:
Yeah, you're kind of missing the point... Halo seems generic because all modern shooters rip it off shamelessly. By the way, how was CoDs co-op campaign? And how were the vehicle sections? And how... nevermind.

More on topic... if it's Tom Green as in the Tom Green Show... I swore I'd never watch anything with him in it again. That man is more of an embarrasment to Canada then Justin Beiber.
That argument might have tread some water if I hadn't first made the accusation when I played the first game. True, most of its tropes have been done even more to death now than they were then, but they were still old hat to the point of being generic at the time.

Do totally agree with you about Tom Green, though.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
How the hell are 343 able to keep up with all these projects? are they a big team?

Oh well, I can't wait for this!

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
CardinalPiggles said:
How the hell are 343 able to keep up with all these projects? are they a big team?

Oh well, I can't wait for this!
They're a team of 250 people according to wikipedia.