Live-Action Hawken Films Coming This Summer

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Live-Action Hawken Films Coming This Summer

A series of live-action Hawken films are being made in support of the game.

The upcoming free-to-play mech shooter graphic novel [http://playhawken.com/] and now comes word that work is underway on a series of live-action films set in the Hawken universe.

A series of films, presumably of the short type, is being made under the direction of Gears of War art director Jeremiah O'Flaherty in conjunction with independent production company DJ2 Entertainment. The films will introduce viewers to individual pilots in the game and establish the "mythology" of the setting. "The beautifully atmospheric visuals and kinetic energy of the first video release of Hawken took me by surprise," O'Flaherty said. "It's been a long time since a game has intrigued me and inspired me the way Hawken has and it made me eager to be a part of that world."

"Jerry is literally the best, and perhaps the only feature director in the world, capable of combining live action with the Unreal 3 game engine," Meteor Entertainment CEO Mark Long added. "Khang [Le, co-founder and CEO of Hawken studio Adhesive Games] and I were psyched when he agreed to direct but after watching the rushes on the set we can assure Hawken fans that Jerry is going to kill it!

O'Flaherty may very well "kill it" and more Hawken is a welcome thing, but why can't it be more actual Hawken rather than a bunch of mini-movies about the game? This kind of project can't be cheap [the behind-the-scenes photo sure looks expensive at any rate] so instead of horsing around with promotional videos, why not put that money into, say, a single-player campaign? I'd be more than happy to give some cash back for that.

The first of the Hawken live-action videos will debut at E3 [http://www.e3expo.com/], which this year runs from June 5 to June 7 at the Los Angeles Convention Center. Hawken is scheduled to go live on December 12.

Source: Gaming Nexus [http://www.gamingnexus.com/FullNews/Hawken-comes-to-life-via-series-of-digital-shorts/Item26258.aspx]

Bolt-206

Dec 6, 2010
Hawken should be great, and I want it to be great,
But all this expanding into other media before the game's even gotten into anyone else's hands is getting me nervous...

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
Seems like an... odd move...
I would of just focused on the game and other areas of marketing, but as long as the game is quality, it's alright.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Like how it used to be that games were made to support the release of movies. Now it seems to be reversing with movies an anime being made to support game releases...

Valagetti

Good Coffee, cheaper than prozac
Aug 20, 2010
Mech fans are certainly getting their fill, I don't think there have been many mech flicks in the past? This looks intriguing, I will be following this closely.