Living forever, would you?

Xixikal

Apr 6, 2011
So, there I was, casually watching a doco on achieving immortality and I wondered to myself: would I like to live forever?
My answer, of course, is an enthusiastic "YES". (Using the technique of vitrification, no less)

But I would like to know the thoughts of my fellow Escapees on the matter.

So, I ask:

a) How long could you see yourself living? (e.g. I would like to see the end of the universe)
b) How would you achieve this? (e.g. I'm going to implant my consciousness into an indestructible personalised robot body)

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
What would I have to do for the rest of my eternal life? Because I do not think I would want to live my current life forever and ever.

Also would my family be immortal too? Because being the only Immortal in the world would mean I would have to see every friend I ever have/get die at one point... that is a lot of sadness.

But in general it would be cool to be immortal... but all in all I think it would be a lonely existence :(

Limecake

May 18, 2011
no I wouldn't like to live forever, the world around me would continue to change but I would stay the same, for hundreds of years. People and culture would continue to evolve and change with new technology and I would quickly find myself out of place.

That plus the physical limitations of my brain would come into play if I never passed away. Besides I doubt I'd want to come to work 5 days a week for 200 years.

And this isn't even mentioning that if I could live forever what's stopping everyone else from living forever? then we run into the issue of overpopulation.

Just remember: We're here for a good time, not a long time.

DiMono

Mar 18, 2010
My entire family is very long lived, so I expect to reach 140 naturally (I'm 30 now, I figure the technology will be available within the next 50 years to prolong life a little more). Honestly, that's probably enough.

Because if you're living forever, you're going to get really bored. What do you do for entertainment when you've literally done everything there is to do, to its full extent? There will come a point where you just can't think of anything new to do, and suddenly being alive all that time will seem like kind of a waste. I'd rather enjoy what I have because it is, by definition, limited, than risk getting bored with existence.

Michael Logan

Oct 19, 2008
DiMono said:
My entire family is very long lived, so I expect to reach 140 naturally (I'm 30 now, I figure the technology will be available within the next 50 years to prolong life a little more). Honestly, that's probably enough.

Because if you're living forever, you're going to get really bored. What do you do for entertainment when you've literally done everything there is to do, to its full extent? There will come a point where you just can't think of anything new to do, and suddenly being alive all that time will seem like kind of a waste. I'd rather enjoy what I have because it is, by definition, limited, than risk getting bored with existence.
Im not sure if being dead is a good alternative to being bored :p

Anyway, yes I would love to live forever.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I sure wouldn't. I mean, for a while it would seem like a good idea since you can experience everything that will ever happen. The thing is, everything changes but you, and when the mortals evolve and you don't, suddenly you've become the freak.

Also, I'd imagine that when technology evolves, I would be left out and I would think that my feeble brain could only take so much before everything becomes an Eldritch Abomination, and I'm running and freaking out over everything.

Besides, I would find everything to be so damn boring after so many years, so no. I would much rather enjoy my short little time than live forever.

Sandernista

Feb 26, 2009
Definitely. Yes, people die, but you always meet new people, you can't have more good times if you're dead.

I don't understand any argument against eternal life.

DiMono

Mar 18, 2010
Michael Logan said:
DiMono said:
That's not what it's about though. It's about making sure that your life is full of good memories and experiences, so that when you look back at the end you can say "I had a full life, and I enjoyed it." If you live long enough to get bored with everything, you're going to look back and say "I can't believe I wasted so much time on all this crap." I'd rather the first one.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
No I would rather die like any other normal hurman and gamble where I will lead to once I had died.

However if I was force to be immortal (or curse) I guessing I would end up taking different persona and leading different lives until I get bored from it. By the time this had happen I would be no longer my true self but a shell/ shadow of my former self.
As for my body I would like to think my body had transcend human flesh but into a cosmic energy but I can still transforms back into flesh and blood.

Michael Logan

Oct 19, 2008
ravensheart18 said:
Michael Logan said:
DiMono said:

Anyway, yes I would love to live forever.
Everyone you ever knew and loved dies. Again and again. Eventually man evolves and you become a relic of time, similar to how a cave man would be in our society today. You'd probably be caged and turned into a giant science experiment, either to find out what ancient man was like, or to discover the secrets of creating a longer life. Your brain, designed for storing a century or two of data, is slowly overloaded by the billions of years of memories and now long useless facts, probably creating instablity. And in the end the sun dies, leaving you adrift and alone in space.

Yeah, brilliant move.
I prefer it to the alternative to be honest.