LMGs = RAGE!

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
Radeonx said:
Korten12 said:
Radeonx said:
Oh god, someone dies too much from a certain type of weapon and suddenly it is overpowered and needs to be removed. Why am I not surprised?
No see this is a problem I have in a lot of FPSs. Literally LMGs are always over powered in almost all FPSs.
I don't think that it is the game's problem.
Yeah..I was going to say this but instead I'll leave it with an image.

Black-6

Apr 20, 2010
It's fine. Learn to play...

Sorry..it is my standard response when the "OP" flag is thrown.

Seriously they are not overpowered. A real LMG fire either 5.56mm or 7.62mm ammo just like assault rifles and most sniper rifles. Thy have the same range as other weapons as well as accuracy. If you have half a brain, you will fire in controlled bursts with LMG's and when doing so will have great accuracy.

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
The only way you can use one of those over a certain range is if you're just good, they're not overpowered at all, some of them are better for different types of combat, yeah, but in the end, it's the player that matters.

Now, shotguns? Those are overpowered!

Master Kuja

May 28, 2008
Korten12 said:
Master Kuja said:
*Sigh* No, they're not overpowe-

OP, what class do you play?
Recon, Assualt, and Engineer.
Right, how do you play Recon? Because if you're just sitting there with a sniper rifle, that's a good reason why you're getting gunned down by Medics.

Assault, you can out-range them and out-damage them at range easily with just about any assault rifle, the damage drop off for LMGs is a hell of a lot greater than the damage drop off for Assault Rifles...Unless you count that bastard M60.

Engineer...Well, yeah, the Engie does have a tough time against medics I tend to find, but that's why you try and stay behind your team's armour, it's a marginally tougher time as engineer to kill someone at range (again, unless you count using that loltastic 9A-91 with an ACOG), which is why you need to move a lot more tactically.

I'll agree that LMGs being able to basically snipe is absolutely fucking ridiculous at times, and is utterly impossible, but they're far from overpowered by any stretch of the imagination, they do their job brilliantly and that job is to chew up any infantry idiotic enough to get in the way of the line of fire.

It's still rather easy to out gun a Medic at close range if you're quick enough to the trigger, but a lot of BC2's gunfights take place at longer range and any weapon can be used with perplexingly lethal accuracy if you slap a 4x scope on it and fire in bursts.

You want overpowered? Even after all the nerfs, I still hold up the Carl Gustav as the single, most overpowered, ridiculous, horrible and evil weapon in the game (and I should know, given the shiny plat star hanging off of it).

But anyway, honestly I just think LMGs do their job fine, you just have to have a bit more situational awareness when it comes to medics, because if they get the drop on you, you will always lose and I think having an LMG is certainly a fair trade off for having to keep an eye on your oft dipshit team members.

Shimmyshake

Mar 25, 2010
But there's not much more cathartic than running straight towards a guy pumping out 200 bullets at full auto and screaming! Really, the LMG's aren't that overpowered in Bad Company 2, get up close to them, they're not very good in close quarters as, say, an SMG.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Bullets. So totally overpowered.

...What, they keep killing me!
^^Winnage^^

OT : Yeah. Stop being ignorant and do some actual "Real Life" research. LMG's are actively used for sniping roles. During vietnam a soldier converted .50 browning LMG into a Sniper rifle and used to great effect.

Enough with the Rage threads and put to use your 3 brain cells, please.

Danish_4116

Sep 15, 2009
I'm sorry, but this has to be done:

Yeah they are a bit too overpowered when combined with the medic class but they have their weaknesses too.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
AmrasCalmacil said:
The only way you can use one of those over a certain range is if you're just good, they're not overpowered at all, some of them are better for different types of combat, yeah, but in the end, it's the player that matters.

Now, shotguns? Those are overpowered!
Those bad boys certainly are, but if you manage to get in range without getting killed, You damn well deserve that kill. Shotguns are my favourite weapon in BC2.

OT: The LMGs are not over powered. I think the balancing is actually pretty fair in BC2, with perhaps the exception of the VSS. God damn do I hate that weapon. Mostly because I'm crap with it :D

RobCoxxy

Feb 22, 2009
TerranReaper said:
Cogwheel said:
Not that I've played Bad Company, but who's this Lieutenant Marzipan Gorilla you're talking about?
I can't be the only one that sees this?

OT: LMGs usually aren't overpowered in FPS games, and certainly not in Bad Company 2 either. People have been fairly resourceful by actually firing in bursts or single shotting, instead of spraying and hoping a few bullets hits them from long range.
this.

You want overpowered, especially at range?

SMGs on CoD. Holy shitsauce.

Zannah

Jan 27, 2010
My personal educated guess is that a game with destructible cover, where the guy with the unlimited ammo packs and the guy with the rifle mounted grenades are the same person, has worse balance issues?
(Good thing nobody can notice, because everybody snipes)

ClassicJokester

I Love You.
Apr 16, 2010
Zannah said:
My personal educated guess is that a game with destructible cover, where the guy with the unlimited ammo packs and the guy with the rifle mounted grenades are the same person, has worse balance issues?
(Good thing nobody can notice, because everybody snipes)
My friend loves blowing up buildings I'm in with his 40mm. I don't love it so much >.< but he gives me ammo, so we're cool.

However, someone has already correctly said that the Carl Gustav is evil. I use it ALL THE TIME, and it's just preposterous. Especially with the Explosives upgrade. 7 Rockets? Really now?

"Hmmm, there's a guy in that building, but I'm not sure where... I'll just shoot a rocket at it."
PHWOOOOM--EXPLODING NOISE!

+50

I hardly ever use my SMG with engineer.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Korten12 said:
Radeonx said:
Oh god, someone dies too much from a certain type of weapon and suddenly it is overpowered and needs to be removed. Why am I not surprised?
No see this is a problem I have in a lot of FPSs. Literally LMGs are always over powered in almost all FPSs.
The LMG, by deffinition I believe, is suppose to fire actual, literal death from its barrel.

You want over powered, talk to me after getting knifed in the 15 times in one match of COD. If anything needs to be fixed, its the fucking melee.

TheLefty

May 21, 2008
I don't understand why so any people are complaining about this. You're not the first person I've heard, and I've never really had this problem. If anything the overpowered one is the sniper rifle. I want to say M95 but I'm not sure, something like that. It's pretty much always a one shot kill, and the only saving factor is the fact hat it takes five hours to pull the bolt back.

Really I feel like people should be complaining about the M16, which I've taken out quite a few far off snipers with a single pull, (which is a three shot burst).

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
This is a big part of why I don't play competitive FPS games.

To have any kind of serious competitive multiplayer game balance has to come before everything. The problem is that some weapons are simply far more effective than others, and that's not surprising as it's perfectly realistic, however in a competitive multi-player game there really shouldn't be an advantage based on picking one class, spec, loadout, or weapon over another, yet there is.

I personally don't think that snipers as a general concept belong in this type of game, they are complained about through the entire FPS spectrum, and it's easy to understand why. Killing people from concealment at extreme range with one shot is what snipers do, but it's not exactly a fun thing to be on the receiving end of. One of the big complaints in a lot of FPS games is of course everyone rolling a sniper class, and then it turning into ridiculous super-long range pop and shoot engagements.

Now, I know many people are going to disagree with me here, but honestly I think "old school" far less realistic games had the right idea in starting the players off with the same weapon (typically a pistol) and then randomly depositing other weapons throughout the map which gave everyone a reasonable chance of getting something decent. It might not be an "evolution" in some people's minds, but honestly I think the key to this kind of thing is game balance and the only way to acheive it is to put everyone on the same page right from the start.

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
tellmeimaninja said:
If we get rid of them, everyone will complain about something else.

Eventually, all of our online FPSs will be people running around shouting angry words at each other.
No! Angry words are too overpowered. They should just shoot vacant stares at each other. That'll work.

SonicKoala

The Night Zombie
Sep 8, 2009
Yes, LMG's are quite good at long range, but then again, so are sub-machine guns and assault rifles, provided you have a good scope. The only benefit of LMG's is that they have a much larger clip, and thus one can continue aiming without having to stop and reload.

Frankly, with how wide-open BC2's maps are, I find most kills come at long-distance (I certainly know most of mine did), but "overpowered"? No way, that just sounds like a petty complaint to me. A good assault rifle can easily counter a LMG at long range...sounds like you just need to adjust your tactics.