LMGs = RAGE!

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
Cogwheel said:
Korten12 said:
I am confused aswell, what do you mean: Lieutenant Marzipan Gorilla..?
Having never played the game, I don't know what an LMG is. A class or weapon, by the sound of it.

My interpretation of the acronym, on the other hand, is what's commonly known as a joke.
It's Light Machine Gun to those (like you) who are confused.

sylekage

Dec 24, 2008
LMG's are fun, fun guns. You can run around, spraying the shit out of them, and piling up bodies all around you. But it takes some skill to actually use them correctly. You can snipe anyone with any weapon if you're good at bursting. When my friend first got into call of duty, he would run around doing just that. Spraying and praying. I told him, "Chill the fuck out! Use three or four shot bursts!" needless to say he got better at it.

It's not that hard, and getting killed a shit ton by a certain gun does not make it overpowered." It means the person is using it to the best of its abilities.

Cogwheel

Apr 3, 2010
Justin Tarrant said:
Cogwheel said:
Korten12 said:
Having never played the game, I don't know what an LMG is. A class or weapon, by the sound of it.

My interpretation of the acronym, on the other hand, is what's commonly known as a joke.
In hindsight, I really, really should have guessed this. Sorry.

That said, I still believe that the ability to summon Lieutenant Marzipan Gorilla to unleash his diabetes-inducing primate fury upon your enemies would improve the game a great deal.

JackKrauserFtw

May 21, 2008
Korten12 said:
In Bad Company 2, they need to be removed from the game. Last time I checked, LMGs can't snipe me from afar. Its even worse since medics use them and therefore a lot of people use LMGs.

Anyone else hate LMGs?
They don't, I have NEVER had this problem, I think your exaggerating

Mace Tulio

Feb 5, 2011
I usually play medic (I've been playing engineer recently though) and I agree. The LMG's are fairly overpowered, however, a medic is completely incapable of defending themselves from most vehicles, especially tanks. As I've learnt from my time as an engineer is that a well placed rocket won't go astray.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
IBlackKiteI said:
Korten12 said:
In Bad Company 2, they need to be removed from the game. Last time I checked, LMGs can't snipe me from afar. Its even worse since medics use them and therefore a lot of people use LMGs.
Are you serious? You made a thread because you got killed from a long distance by a machine gun?
Even going as far to say they should be removed?
This wasn't a first and won't be the last. This has happened many many times and its annoying.

Best of the 3 said:
It's the internet, there's always someone else.
For the first time, I disagree, from what I see, I am the only one. At least on here.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
No. I am actually quite keen on them. I just love using LMGs in CoD4. I still get killed plenty of times, but I almost never have to fear anyone rushing me with a shotgun.

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
Cogwheel said:
Justin Tarrant said:
Cogwheel said:
Korten12 said:

That said, I still believe that the ability to summon Lieutenant Marzipan Gorilla to unleash his diabetes-inducing primate fury upon your enemies would improve the game a great deal.
Ya the person who made the Lieutenant Marzipan Gorilla was trolling but it would seem only 25% of us got the troll. That is sad. Especially for the people here on the Escapist.

INF1NIT3 D00M

Aug 14, 2008
tellmeimaninja said:
If we get rid of them, everyone will complain about something else.

Eventually, all of our online FPSs will be people running around shouting angry words at each other.
That game already exists. Search up the game Flamewar. You wander through corridors and shoot insults at other nondescript, stick figure-ish, cel-shaded avatars. The walls and floors are made of text, kind of like the hallways at the end of the first Matrix movie.

In regards to the OT, I don't think the LMGs are by any stretch of the imagination the game-breakers the OP says they are. In my opinion, the Magnum Ammunition that you only get at level 15, complemented by the body armor you don't get until 14 is probably the most idiotic decision I've ever seen in any multiplayer First Person Shooter, and I've been playing since original DOOM. Can you say "Massive Barrier To Entry?"
The perks themselves aren't the problem, it's just the fact that you don't get them until you've invested quite a few hours into the game. It's really no fun when you have one gun for each class, no attachments, no gadgets, and your bullets do less damage than everyone else's. The deaths from levels 1-5 are usually derived from inexperience. However, it's just a horrible slog from 5-15, when you've gotten a grip on how to play, but you literally cannot outshoot a guy with Magnum Ammo. This problem, along with the complete lack of a server browser or autobalance system, is what keeps me from playing this game for more than one or two rounds at a time.

Medic is my favorite class, because I like being the guy that tanks damage with his healthpack and stops ticket loss with the defibrillator, though I really wouldn't mind using a gun other than an LMG. It's not really my kind of gun. I reload after every kill out of habit, and an LMG proves to be very VERY problematic in that regard.

On a semi-related note, am I the only one who has noticed that the stats of the first 3 or so guns you unlock for each class actually have worse stats than the starting guns? Going from the starter Engineer gun to the SCAR-L, all the stats are the same except the damage is less. You might get more ammo in the SCAR, I haven't checked ammo count, but all the same that's not a great trade. The later unlocks are undoubtedly the most powerful weapons, but just about everything between the first gun and the last one or two are completely awful.

Midnight Crossroads

Jul 17, 2010
Cogwheel said:
McNinja said:
Cogwheel said:
Not that I've played Bad Company, but who's this Lieutenant Marzipan Gorilla you're talking about?
I see what you did there.

But on topic, I've sniped with LMGs before, on other games. All you need to do is not be out in the open, and all they need to do is not fire like a maniac and actually have some patience.
The irony of it is that for all the quoting, no one has actually told me what an LMG is.
A light machine gun is a machine gun crewed by one man which can be carried easily around the battlefield. It fires the same rounds as you would find in a rifle such as an M16 or G36 or FAMAS.

It's separated from a submachine gun in that SMGs carry pistol rounds, and heavy machine guns in that HMG are are too cumbersome to quickly move and sometimes require a crew of more than one person. To give you an idea of the differences in size, the US army's M249 is a LMG which weighs 22lbs. The US army's M2 heavy machine gun weighs almost 90lbs not counting the tripod. Adding one of those puts it above 100lbs.

The designations are sometimes blurry because when they were made, in WW1, it was easy to tell the difference. No one carried around automatic rifles. Nowadays, there are assault rifles which can be modified for use as an LMG.

Cogwheel

Apr 3, 2010
Justin Tarrant said:
Cogwheel said:
Justin Tarrant said:
Cogwheel said:
Korten12 said:

Ya the person who made the Lieutenant Marzipan Gorilla was trolling but it would seem only 25% of us got the troll. That is sad. Especially for the people here on the Escapist.
Well, this is awkward.

I'm kinda the one who posted that. It was a genuine question, since I never played the game. Just, you know, threw a rather poor joke in as well. Didn't mean to troll.

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
Cogwheel said:
Justin Tarrant said:
Cogwheel said:
Justin Tarrant said:
Cogwheel said:
Korten12 said:

Well, this is awkward.

I'm kinda the one who posted that. It was a genuine question, since I never played the game. Just, you know, threw a rather poor joke in as well. Didn't mean to troll.
... You mean you were fucking serious? WOW I thought that was HUGE troll. Most FPS's have LMG's so I thought you were.

Cogwheel

Apr 3, 2010
Midnight Crossroads said:
Well, that was far more educational than I expected from any reply. Thanks a lot!

Justin Tarrant said:
... You mean you were fucking serious? WOW I thought that was HUGE troll. Most FPS's have LMG's so I thought you were.
If I understood Midnight correctly, it's a bit bigger than an SMG, which is the closest I know. A fair bit bigger, really.

And I don't exactly play the standard super-realistic (supposedly or otherwise) online FPS games at all. Not one bit.

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
Cogwheel said:
Well, that was far more educational than I expected from any reply. Thanks a lot!

Justin Tarrant said:
If I understood Midnight correctly, it's a bit bigger than an SMG, which is the closest I know. A fair bit bigger, really.

And I don't exactly play the standard super-realistic (supposedly or otherwise) online FPS games at all. Not one bit.
Well an LMG is like a portable Chaingun. They usually have HUGE clips (60-120) and really good piercing abilities and somewhat good accuracy but their damage is not to high and they have horrible recoil. This is usually fixed with a grip though.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
IRL, they're support weapons. I find the game that does them best is Flashpoint Dragon Rising.
You mostly fire them near people to scare them, occasionally killing or wounding so that the enemy is hindered.

It's a very psychological weapon.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Only LMG I ever had a problem with on FPS games was the HK G36 from the first Bad Company game.
A light machine gun, with a scope, good accuracy, good range, pretty much good in all areas >.>
Getting sniped by so many people using that kinda made the game a bit less fun. But I got my revenge in various ways.

Cogwheel

Apr 3, 2010
Justin Tarrant said:
Cogwheel said:

Justin Tarrant said:

Well an LMG is like a portable Chaingun. They usually have HUGE clips (60-120) and really good piercing abilities and somewhat good accuracy but their damage is not to high and they have horrible recoil. This is usually fixed with a grip though.
Right. Sounds like the sort of thing that should only be given to those with an appropriately Russian accent.

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
Cogwheel said:
Justin Tarrant said:
Cogwheel said:

Justin Tarrant said:

Right. Sounds like the sort of thing that should only be given to those with an appropriately Russian accent.
That is obviously a joke about Heavy but the Heavy's gun is a Mini-gun, not a LMG.