Loathed phrases/terms

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
"You know me, I'm not ____, But..."

Proceeds to do everything to make me think you're a Card carrying member of ____.

"Western Ideals of Beauty is so restrictive for women"

Proceeds to describe a guy that must be above 6 foot, muscular for 'protection', and a great head of hair for... being able to tell wind direction? I don't know that.

"Fake News"

Proceeds to prove to me that just means 'I don't want to think of the truth, because my feelings are all that matter'

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Sep 5, 2014
down a well
Country
Northumbria
"We need to have a discussion about this" or "there needs to be a discussion about this".

It always seems to lead to the kind of discussions where you're not actually allowed to say anything.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
"Could you just take a quick look at this?" Cue hours of extra work

"I know you're busy, but..."

Reactions: Kae

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
"We need to have a discussion about this" or "there needs to be a discussion about this".

It always seems to lead to the kind of discussions where you're not actually allowed to say anything.
Just be thankful you're not in my job. There's a discussion for everything. I have entire weeks pretty much burned to the ground with "discussions". On the bright side, some are occasionally constructive.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
"I'm not a [insert type of bigot or other dickishness], but ..."

Hot tip, if you don't want to come off as whatever you claim not to be, don't preface it like this. Also, don't follow it up with something that is whatever you claim not to be. Which is 9+ out of 10 what happens whenever someone does this.

Last edited:

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
"You can't say that."
The winning rebuttal to any argument. Though to be fair the people that say this phrase aren't used to arguing. Or at least the fine art of doing it over the internet.

Shadyside

Bad Hombre
Legacy
Aug 20, 2020
On top of your sister
Country
Republic of Texas
"I'm not a [insert type of bigot or other dickishness], but ..."

Hot tip, if you don't want to come off as whatever you claim not to be, don't preface it like this. Also, don't follow it up with something that is whatever you claim not to be. Which is 9+ out of 10 what happens whenever someone does this.
I'm not racist, but

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Prolly problematic because that's a greek word which has a very different nuance in the common normal people usage. It's slang for a "difficult person", someone disagreeable.

In English it's kinda like a catchall for "offensive" or "cancel-worthy" and it's overused to an absurd degree. One of the most annoying neologisms for sure.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
"Gaming would be better if [game I hate here] shut down/was deleted."

No it wouldn't, you elitist chode. It's just that people would have fewer choices other than your favorite game, forcing some of them to play it, and buttressing the fragile sense of self-worth you've leashed to a video game.