Logitech G910 Orion Spark Review - Mechanical Happiness

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Logitech G910 Orion Spark Review - Mechanical Happiness

This mechanical keyboard is pretty dang great if you can spend this much on a keyboard.

Read Full Article

happy_turtle

Apr 11, 2010
Sorry guys, love y'all but this reads like a paid advert. Too much use of fawning superlatives, not enough factual comparison. It actually ventures into the language of the spam email trying to get me to sign up to Binaural trading options.

Luckyo

Nov 19, 2014
G910 has been out for at least a month, probably more. What exactly is this "orion spark" version and how is it different from basic G910?

Or is this just another "G[xx]s" rebranding?

SJXarg

Sep 20, 2010
As much as this keyboard sounds pretty awesome, and I have been considering getting a new one, I haven't been able to justify to myself the cost of a mechanical. Everyone I know who has one assures me they're awesome... but given my keyboards typically last up to 8 years, and can be had for, I dunno, $10-15, I don't think I'll still be alive before my peasant keyboard purchases are equal to the money they want for that thing....

8BitArchitect

Sep 24, 2014
There's a link error in the second paragraph. It should read:

Not so! The set of keys you press to attack demons in [a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/dragon%20age%20inquisition"]Dragon Age: Inquisition[/a] or build cities in [a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/civilization"]Civilization[/a] can affect your gaming. Not only can well-constructed keyboards react better to your inputs, but they often come with a slew of features to improve your experience. Sometimes those bells and whistles are annoying, getting in the way of just playing the game. The Logitech Orion Spark G910 mechanical keyboard doesn't veer too far into feature-creep territory and instead offers an absolutely wonderful way to play games with only a few minor problems. Even using it to type up emails is oddly pleasurable.
I found it odd that you mentioned attacking demons in Civ, unless you were referring to FFH (A mod for Civ IV that's way better than Civ V+Expansions)

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
was sort of considering getting it. the G keys do come in handy and i sure like the switching colours since at times i am a bit in the dark. but its just too expensive and i ended up with the G105. so far no complaints and does well for my needs. even when i do miss a wrist support. thats really the only bad thing about the G105.

Kazedarkwind

Inner Working Reviewer
Nov 18, 2009
I Just got one of these last week. The best keyboard ive used on the market by far. (Including Razers Blackwidow Ultimate and Logitechs g710+) Keys feel just like the g710+ but way more durable. With the g710+ my keycaps would slip off all the time for no reason. orion sparks keycaps are extremely sturdy and feel great in your hand. I've heard people saying they have issues with typing on this keyboard but i never felt that way. With the new mechanical keys the LED's look amazing.

If there is one critique i have is that i love how i can set lighting zones, but you cant set them by profile. so if i have all my Final Fantasy XIV game keys lit, and go back to desktop. It wont change the lighting unless i do it manually. Other than that. This keyboards worth every dime.

Rhykker

Level 16 Scallywag
Feb 28, 2010
8BitArchitect said:
There's a link error in the second paragraph. It should read:

Not so! The set of keys you press to attack demons in [a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/dragon%20age%20inquisition"]Dragon Age: Inquisition[/a] or build cities in [a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/civilization"]Civilization[/a] can affect your gaming. Not only can well-constructed keyboards react better to your inputs, but they often come with a slew of features to improve your experience. Sometimes those bells and whistles are annoying, getting in the way of just playing the game. The Logitech Orion Spark G910 mechanical keyboard doesn't veer too far into feature-creep territory and instead offers an absolutely wonderful way to play games with only a few minor problems. Even using it to type up emails is oddly pleasurable.
I found it odd that you mentioned attacking demons in Civ, unless you were referring to FFH (A mod for Civ IV that's way better than Civ V+Expansions)
My bad - thanks for the spot. Was missing a closing " in the html.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Mechanical keyboards are nice, but I can't justify the $180 one this one, even with the purdy colors it can do. I'm happy with my G110 for now. Although, I do miss the screen from my old G15. It would be nice if that dock had a USB connector to charge the phone.

I tried out the Arx program (dumb name BTW). Why did they decide on just Wifi, not Bluetooth or direct usb? It took forever to talk to my AP up stairs and sometimes the page doesn't load. When I can get it took work, it seems useful. The lack of landscape viewing is a glaring oversight, though. I'm glad I read this review just to try it out.
blurredplacebo said:
why do all gamer keyboards look hideous?
Because the product designers are 12 year olds who just read/ watched a bunch of sci-fi, and/or they expect half of the guys, willing to shell out nearly $200 on a keyboard, to paint or mod it to their liking. I'd put the guts in a much nicer opaque acrylic case, if I had one. (Then again, if I had the money, I'd get a nicer looking KB and put the extra money towards actually useful hardware.)

If it wasn't for the lighted keys and the extra keys, the G110 wouldn't look out of place in an office. So at one time, Logitech had at least one designer who wasn't trying to one up fictional space craft.

Xyebane

Disembodied Floating Skull
Feb 28, 2009
I think Greg Tito is just taking the piss with us now right? This is really a Joke?

It is hard to take this review as a review with the language used. No one says you can't review a product you like but come on, you could at least try to be critical and sound objective.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
happy_turtle said:
Sorry guys, love y'all but this reads like a paid advert. Too much use of fawning superlatives, not enough factual comparison. It actually ventures into the language of the spam email trying to get me to sign up to Binaural trading options.
Xyebane said:
I think Greg Tito is just taking the piss with us now right? This is really a Joke?

It is hard to take this review as a review with the language used. No one says you can't review a product you like but come on, you could at least try to be critical and sound objective.
Objectivity? This is the man who said DA2 was the best RPG on earth and gave it 100% in his review.

A better review of the G910, from someone who's owned mech keyboards before:

If you want flash, and a keyboard, buy Razer, this one simply does not have the features to justify it's obscene pricetag. The only good thing about this keyboard is the switch type it uses (Logitech's take on Cherry MX Browns)

If you know precisely what you're buying and why you want a mechanical keyboard, check out Ducky for an amazing keyboard which won't break the bank. Cherry Blue/Black/Brown(mine)/Red/Green are all available for a reasonable price.

Here's the one I own

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Xyebane said:

He's not a hardware reviewer. He shouldn't be doing this stuff. All the talk about journalistic ethics in the past couple of months, and then The Escapist lets someone talk about a thing they have no knowledge of. And it sounds like an advertisement. Yeah, it's a cool keyboard and it does cool stuff. Anyone could have told us that. I mean, how did he even give this keyboard any stars? Why is this keyboard 4/5? Why not less, why not more?

Compare this "review" to, for example the way Tek Syndicate guys do it, and the difference is night and day. Here they explain the difference between different mechanical switches. Very useful for anyone who want to get a mechanical keyboard:

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Adam Jensen said:
Xyebane said:

He's not a hardware reviewer. He shouldn't be doing this stuff. All the talk about journalistic ethics in the past couple of months, and then The Escapist lets someone talk about a thing they have no knowledge of.
Lol sup, haven't seen you in ages.

That link you posted is the bread and butter of mech keyboard reviews. Great talking points, explains the benefits of what's in an MKB and doesn't needlessly gush over flashy bits of plastic.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Give me a fucking break. I was genuinely interested in this, but I see now that despite being almost $200, there is no basic USB hub on it. Where am I supposed to plug my USB headset into? My distant tower?

SJXarg

Sep 20, 2010
Golan Trevize said:
SJXarg said:
As much as this keyboard sounds pretty awesome, and I have been considering getting a new one, I haven't been able to justify to myself the cost of a mechanical. Everyone I know who has one assures me they're awesome... but given my keyboards typically last up to 8 years, and can be had for, I dunno, $10-15, I don't think I'll still be alive before my peasant keyboard purchases are equal to the money they want for that thing....
And you call yourself a Smoke Jaguar. :)
Doing more with less seems to me like it fits right in with the Clan thought-train of not wasting resources on ostentatious extras :p