Lollipop Chainsaw: An Observation on Cover Art

the abyss gazes also

Professional Over Thinker
Apr 10, 2012
So I was in a GameSpot about a week ago and was stunned when I saw these two game posters side by side.

[img src="http://www.shoppingnexus.com/images/products/borderlands-2-pc-mac.jpg"] [/spoiler]

Now I'm not going to say that Lollipop Chainsaw is somehow not an inherently sexualized game (the character is still in a cheerleading costume and I heard something about an achievement for looking up her skirt?) but I find it interesting that her stance in the cover art is a "power stance" usually reserved for male characters as opposed to the classic pose of most female characters where they are somehow showing of both their tits and ass at the same time in what must be a very uncomfortable stance.

[spoiler] [img src="http://www.tor.com/images/stories/blogs/12_04/lara-croft.jpg"] [/spoiler]

If you don't think this stance is too prevalent, check out all the examples in http://www.tor.com/blogs/2012/04/hey-everyone-stop-taking-this-picture-no-i-mean-it

So why did the cover art folk for Lollipop Chainsaw not go with maximum sex on the cover? Was it an oversight? Are they actually trying to make their character seem tough? Am I, as usual, just over thinking this?

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
the abyss gazes also said:
So I was in a GameSpot about a week ago and was stunned when I saw these two game posters side by side.

So why did the cover art folk for Lollipop Chainsaw not go with maximum sex on the cover? Was it an oversight? Are they actually trying to make their character seem tough? Am I, as usual, just over thinking this?
Well, Lollipop Chainsaw is a GIGANTIC parody of...well, just about everything to do with sexy cheerleaders, zombies, and cliche'd action heroes. It (appears) to mocking the absurdity that it simultaneously revels in. Should be interesting.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Now I just want to see a picture of the big hairy Borderlands guy with his hips cocked and sucking on a lollipop.

Hal10k

May 23, 2011
Zhukov said:
Now I just want to see a picture of the big hairy Borderlands guy with his hips cocked and sucking on a lollipop.
Posting a request for this on Deviantart right now.

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
Hal10k said:
Zhukov said:
Nooooo! What have you done?!?!?! What hell have you wrought?!

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
wintercoat said:
Hal10k said:
Zhukov said:
Nooooo! What have you done?!?!?! What hell have you wrought?!
And so, the end-times had arrived. They'd been spoken of in hushed tones, spook tales crafted to sway forum-goers from making disastrous requests of the deviant paint-meisters. But now, alas, it was over. Nothing could stop the arrival...of the end.

the abyss gazes also

Professional Over Thinker
Apr 10, 2012
Shawn MacDonald said:
Man these threads are getting out of hand. You guys sure do like to bring up how women are viewed in videogames. Really matters is if it's fun to play.
I know, it is so awful when a culture becomes aware of its own troupes and starts to analyze them for some deeper meaning. We should go back to the before time, the long long ago when we just didn't talk about our culture or its implications or even just pointing out deviations from the norm.

For me, personally, I have found that most games that try to get away with "sex sells" lack in the actual fun department. Having not played this game I'm not sure if it is fun, but I'm probably not going to shell out the cash for another hack and slash that, as far as I can tell, doesn't bring anything new to the table. I could be wrong and it might up being being awesome... but I somehow doubt it.

Ignatz_Zwakh said:
And so, the end-times had arrived. They'd been spoken of in hushed tones, spook tales crafted to sway forum-goers from making disastrous requests of the deviant paint-meisters. But now, alas, it was over. Nothing could stop the arrival...of the end.
Does this mean I have played a part in starting the apocalypse? *Achievement Unlocked*

surg3n

May 16, 2011
I'm sure Lollipop girl is supposed to be a kick ass zombie slayer, more Buffy than Bunny - so the pose probably suits that persona better - I mean, cheerleader costume, blonde chick, Jessica Nigri - the franchise doesn't need any more sex appeal, a sexier cover would be like a cherry on top of a bowl of sugar.

Angelina Jolie got it just right IMO, Lara Croft, like Lollipop girl, doesn't really have to sex it up. It's sexy enough, people would really rather have a defined and believable game avatar - even if it is a zombie-slaying cheerleader.

Also. Borderlands 2, can't bloomin wait!

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Clearing the Eye said:
Zhukov said:
Are you sure about that? I mean really sure?
The sketch is already done. I'm about to start on the shading.

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
I'm going to say because although they made a sexy looking character, the parody aspects and zero-fucks-given attitude of the game are key. They've deliberately given her an oversized weapon and she literally has the decapitated head of her boyfriend hanging from her waist. These things are more important thematically than looking at her ass. Try and imagine Juliet in the Lara Croft pose but still incorporating the chainsaw and boyfriend head. It'd look ridiculous.

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
Zhukov said:
Clearing the Eye said:
Zhukov said:
I think I want to see it, but I also think such a thing would ruin the game for me later, lol.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Zhukov said:
Clearing the Eye said:
Zhukov said:
Is it too late to request the guys has pigtails? Preferably from his beard but not mandatory.

Lugbzurg

Mar 4, 2012
So, you're all up in a tizzy, closely-analyzing the boxart, trying to figure out for the life of you why a girl isn't being overly-sexualized?

I think you need to calm down a bit. Not every boxart-developer is a shameless perv, you know.

And thrusting a large object over your shoulder isn't exactly male-exclusive, or a power stance, at all. Not to mention that Borderlands 2 is far from the only thing to use a pose like that.

What I want to know is why you're so worried that this girl might not be sexualized enough for you, and, instead, be made to look really (Tara*?) strong. That's what I'm getting out of this.

*Yes, I heard somewhere that Tara Strong is going to be the voice of Juliet (the protagonist) in Lollipop Chainsaw.

Shuguard

Apr 19, 2012
I think everyone also missed the fact she has a decapitated head on her belt...
I'm pre-ordering this game soon, always wanted some combat with a chainsaw.
Edit: one person saw it :p