Lollipop Chainsaw: An Observation on Cover Art

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Lugbzurg said:
So, you're all up in a tizzy, closely-analyzing the boxart, trying to figure out for the life of you why a girl isn't being overly-sexualized?

I think you need to calm down a bit. Not every boxart-developer is a shameless perv, you know.

And thrusting a large object over your shoulder isn't exactly male-exclusive, or a power stance, at all. Not to mention that Borderlands 2 is far from the only thing to use a pose like that.

What I want to know is why you're so worried that this girl might not be sexualized enough for you, and, instead, be made to look really (Tara*?) strong. That's what I'm getting out of this.

*Yes, I heard somewhere that Tara Strong is going to be the voice of Juliet (the protagonist) in Lollipop Chainsaw.

OT: I remember Moviebob doing either a Big Picture or a Game Overthinker Episode on this, about how many femenists are concerned less about the impossible bodies or the skimpy costumes, but how the women are posed. In animation, poses can and do tell a LOT about the character if you look close enough.

He his holding his weight on the foot nearest his weapon, meaning he knows how to use it, his hand is in a fist, eyes straight forward, very flat look on his face. This guy is determined.

Female characters on the other hand, just pose in the most sexy way possible, meaning nothing can be learned about their character.

Her legs are crossed in a position that is useless in battle. She is spinning her weapon around her body, meaning if she attacks from this position, she will rip every part of her open. Arms are in the air to give an impression her breasts are bigger. Nothing tells us anything about her character outside of her side career as a stripper and she is about to kill her self with that sword whip.

Smertnik

Apr 5, 2010
Prime_Hunter_H01 said:
baddude1337 said:
I don't think anybody understands Suda 51 nor pretends to try.
Exactly. The only way to justify anything to do with Lollipop Chainsaw is to say,"its Suda 51."
Except Goichi Suda is merely a producer in this case, as far as I know. James Gunn did the writing for the game (which makes it even more appealing for me, though).

SaetonChapelle

May 11, 2010
I eally don't see her in a "power" stance to be honest.

She has her hip cocked to the side and she is sucking on a lolipop. Her figure doesn't in any way convey that she is in any form of defense or power, besides the fact she is holding a weapon. I don't feel threatened, or feel she is a threat (once again besides that weapon). I don't really see too many male characters being featured in this way and still being seen as "strong".

Course, I could be wrong in every aspect. /shrug

That being said, this game is a parody, and I look forward to playing it, being a female myself. I have little to no issue with the cover. I think this looks like an entertaining play. :3

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
Not G. Ivingname said:

He his holding his weight on the foot nearest his weapon, meaning he knows how to use it, his hand is in a fist, eyes straight forward, very flat look on his face. This guy is determined.
Lets take a deeper look at this...

All the characters who are of the same proportion have their left legs are straight up and down, all of the poses have them oriented to the left, including red XIII and cait sith

Her right foot is pointed towards where she is looking, meaning she is oriented "offensively" towards you, when looking at the character you are drawn to her eyes over anything else. she's right handed with the pistol in her right hand and the weapon other than the bow on her back is easily positioned for her to grab reinforcing she is right handed.

Not all female characters are sexually posed, but, I'm sure if you want to find something wrong you'll find it.

Cloud has braids..... lol.. and is modestly posed.

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
SirBryghtside said:
Because of the fact that part of what makes Lollipop Chainsaw brilliant is how it is, ironically, less sexist than most games coming out nowadays. I cannot wait :D
Damnit beat me to it. Lollipop chainsaw and many of the other grasshopper studio games mock the typical themes and exploitations of the genres they are a part of simply by not exploiting them as much. Sure shadows of the Damned had a girl in her lingerie running around but aside from a few fleeting shots that is barely used and thrown out the window in favour of a homosexual undercurrent that totally rails against "woman are teh sexays".

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
the abyss gazes also said:
So I was in a GameSpot about a week ago and was stunned when I saw these two game posters side by side.

[img src="http://www.shoppingnexus.com/images/products/borderlands-2-pc-mac.jpg"] [/spoiler]

Now I'm not going to say that Lollipop Chainsaw is somehow not an inherently sexualized game (the character is still in a cheerleading costume and I heard something about an achievement for looking up her skirt?) but I find it interesting that her stance in the cover art is a "power stance" usually reserved for male characters as opposed to the classic pose of most female characters where they are somehow showing of both their tits and ass at the same time in what must be a very uncomfortable stance.

[spoiler] [img src="http://www.tor.com/images/stories/blogs/12_04/lara-croft.jpg"] [/spoiler]

If you don't think this stance is too prevalent, check out all the examples in http://www.tor.com/blogs/2012/04/hey-everyone-stop-taking-this-picture-no-i-mean-it

So why did the cover art folk for Lollipop Chainsaw not go with maximum sex on the cover? Was it an oversight? Are they actually trying to make their character seem tough? Am I, as usual, just over thinking this?[/QUOTE]I'd actually argue that the cover art presented is more sexy than "power". The only thing that makes it a "power" stance is having the chainsaw up resting on her shoulder. But the hip-cocked, holding a lollipop, in a cheerleader bikini, and that naughty smirk on her face all point more towards "We want to sell her sex appeal" rather than "We want to sell her badassedness."

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
Just popped in here to show off this boxart. Its CAVE's Mushihimsama HD LE cover

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
How ironic. The game that's about a scantily clad cheerleader who hacks up zombies with a chainsaw is more respectful towards its female lead than most anything right now.

So yeah, it's cool that they put her in a pose like that that makes her look hot and tough at the same time.

Yakslapper

May 29, 2012
The game still looks like spank material for teenage boys everywhere. The cover doesn't do anything to change that perception for me.

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
JeanLuc761 said:
the abyss gazes also said:
So I was in a GameSpot about a week ago and was stunned when I saw these two game posters side by side.

So why did the cover art folk for Lollipop Chainsaw not go with maximum sex on the cover? Was it an oversight? Are they actually trying to make their character seem tough? Am I, as usual, just over thinking this?
Well, Lollipop Chainsaw is a GIGANTIC parody of...well, just about everything to do with sexy cheerleaders, zombies, and cliche'd action heroes. It (appears) to mocking the absurdity that it simultaneously revels in. Should be interesting.
SirBryghtside said:
Because of the fact that part of what makes Lollipop Chainsaw brilliant is how it is, ironically, less sexist than most games coming out nowadays. I cannot wait :D
The two posts that hit it right on the nail.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
I'll admit, Lollipop Chainsaw didn't really interest me before because I thought it was just a pointless T&A slasher fest, but I might look to see if there is more nuance to its message now.

.No.

Dec 29, 2010
Lugbzurg said:
So, you're all up in a tizzy, closely-analyzing the boxart, trying to figure out for the life of you why a girl isn't being overly-sexualized?

I think you need to calm down a bit. Not every boxart-developer is a shameless perv, you know.

And thrusting a large object over your shoulder isn't exactly male-exclusive, or a power stance, at all. Not to mention that Borderlands 2 is far from the only thing to use a pose like that.

What I want to know is why you're so worried that this girl might not be sexualized enough for you, and, instead, be made to look really (Tara*?) strong. That's what I'm getting out of this.

*Yes, I heard somewhere that Tara Strong is going to be the voice of Juliet (the protagonist) in Lollipop Chainsaw.
Tara Strong is voicing Juliet. Honestly, that's one of the biggest reasons I'm getting the game.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
You're trying to make sense of a Suda51 game? Just watch this behind the scenes vidoe. It'll tell you everything you need to know. Pay special attention to the 50 second mark.

"I got the image of seeing a zombie being decapitated with blood bursting from it's neck and having a rainbow appear from that shower of blood. That's when I realized hey maybe I can make a game that's kind of new."
I have a strong feeling this is his normal thought process.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
LetalisK said:
I'll admit, Lollipop Chainsaw didn't really interest me before because I thought it was just a pointless T&A slasher fest, but I might look to see if there is more nuance to its message now.
No.

OT: I have no idea why people keep making threads about this game. Like, what characteristics does it have to distinguish it from every other generic hack-and-slash, beyond the aesthetic?

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
Kahunaburger said:
LetalisK said:
No.

OT: I have no idea why people keep making threads about this game. Like, what characteristics does it have to distinguish it from every other generic hack-and-slash, beyond the aesthetic?
It's the story. Boy meets girl, girl falls in love, boy becomes disembodied head, and they live life killing zombies together, and find out things deeper about themselves along the way.

Also, it's extremely over-the-top, as per Suda51's style.

the abyss gazes also

Professional Over Thinker
Apr 10, 2012
Shawn MacDonald said:
Maybe you shouldn't have that attitude that it's going to be just another hack n slash. You can't judge a game because it belongs to a certain genre. Really have to do it with all of them then. Putting on hate glasses for something you might really like. Have a crazy question to ask. You might just hate brawlers and not realize it, so the when one comes out your more quick to give it the thumbs down.
Lugbzurg said:

Wow. Let see if I can clarify here. I don't hate hack and slash, I just don't think this particular hack and slash is going to do anything new to the genre. With games going $60 a pop, I try to save my cash for things that do a bit more than Light attack/heavy attack combos after I bought up the first three god of war games. From what little I have read it will be nothing new in terms of gameplay and the zany aesthetic it is going for just isn't my thing. I could be wrong and this game could be the second coming on toast, but I doubt it. I tend to have low expectations for most forms of entertainment. I have been pleasantly surprised but not often disappointed. (Optimistic pessimism.)

As for the pose, I was more surprised that a game that is really going for the T&A factor didn't go with a more explicit cover. This isn't something I personally would ask them to do, but I find the choice interesting since it goes against the grain.