Lone Ranger Goes Boom! To Tune Of $150 Million Loss

Ace Morologist

Apr 25, 2013
Oopsie.

Quick redaction and word to the wise for everybody making the same mistake I did:

Tonto - the Lone Ranger's sidekick
tanto - a knife

That is all.

--Morology!

tsukikage

May 26, 2012
Chessrook44 said:
When they said "Everything looked perfect on paper" I was left thinking of this clip... [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsNrwHA6Big]
That was awesome - thanks for sharing.

KnowYourOnion

Jul 6, 2009
SonOfVoorhees said:
aPod said:
*Rabble Rabble* YA! Having Depp play an indian, super rascist! *Rabble Rabble*

Come on now people, it wasn't racism that got Depp the role, it was Depp being Depp that got him that role. Should an actual indian gotten the role? I'd say so, but lets go easy with the knee-jerk reaction to call it white-washing. If some nobody played that role, maybe, but that's Johnny Depp.
This is the problem with the world, it only works for white actors, never any other. Look at Idris playing the part of a norse god in Thor. The black actor in Kane and Lynch playing the character that was a white red neck. The black actor in Dare Devil who played Kingpin, who is white in the comics.

They always say the best actor got the role, fair enough. But this whole "white washing" thing only seems to count when its a white actor playing another character of colour. But it never seems to be the case when its the other way round.

As for Depp, totally sick of him now in movies. We need new actors to be given a chance in these big budget movies. An atleast the companies would not be paying $20 million just for the actor.
It's hard to draw parallels to Idris Elba as a Norse god. They specifically changed the character to be a black guy, if they used Idris and then decided to make him white with make up then you get into the same uncomfortable territory that the Lone Ranger occupies.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
It just comes down to putting so much money into special effects and setting, but not dealing with making a good story. The same problem the triple A game companies are seeing. More work in making it look good than in making the final product enjoyable. Playing by the numbers alone isn't enough. Research can say whatever you want it to say. Still don't disappointed in the lack luster returns. Moreso their estimated returns.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Spot1990 said:
rob_simple said:
To all the people outraged/upset/crying racism over Depp getting the role: just how many big Native American actors are there that could have fit the role, instead?

I know that will reek of ignorance, but the only Native Americans I have ever seen in films are usually old blokes and, from what I understand, even some of them are actually Hawaiian or something because it's that difficult to find good NA actors.

Is there really an actor as talented as Depp who would have been a sure thing for a solid performance? Or are we, once again, getting all bent out of shape for the sake of it?

OT: This is a shame, I was looking forward to seeing the film.
Maybe cast a household name as the whiteguy then? I mean Arnie Hammer, really? Why not cast Depp as the Lone Ranger if they wanted him in this so bad? They can't say he was wrong for the part because well look at the part they did give him

And yeah people are getting bent out of shape because it's really racist. I mean if they'd re-written the character to be a white guy it'd be less bad, simple whitewashing but this is the equivalent of Native American black face. Take 21, yeah people got upset because they got a story about Asian students but replaced them with a bucnh of white guys. Bad yeah, but it'd be much much worse if they had taped their eyes back and spoke in Engrish throughout the whole movie. Which is basically what this movie did.

Really if you're not ok with this:

Then you should not be ok with Lone Ranger. And if you are ok with the above, then yeah you're probably a racist who will never understand.
...Okay, let's take a deep breath and then point out all the ways you are over-reacting.

Is Alan Rickman a racist for playing Hans Gruber?
Is Gerard Butler a racist for playing King Leonidas?
Is Mel Gibson a racist for portraying William Wallace? (Note: Specifically William Wallace, disregarding all the other crazy shit he gets up to.)

None of those men carry the heritage of those they are playing, so why is that not racist? Is it only when skin colour becomes involved that it's considered offensive to portray someone else's nationality? Or is it just called fucking acting?

Given that Depp has claimed in the past to have Cherokee ancestry --which I'm inclined to believe, based on his facial structure, slightly tanned skin, dark hair & eyes-- it's absolutely nothing like blackface; also ignoring that blackface was performed at a time when black people had next to no rights whatsoever and was openly mocking them. If you honestly can't see the difference then you're probably a kneejerk reactionist who will never understand.

Here's the thing that annoys me the most about this: if Hollywood made a film where a an American actor of Chinese descent played a character of Japanese descent nobody would give two shits, but because Johnny Depp is noticeably different to a pure-blooded Native American people are up in arms.

So let's examine your other alternative: changing Tonto to be a white guy. Well, in that case, why not also make the Lone Ranger a knight of King Arthur's court and set the whole fucking film in Bosnia in the year 2030? How about in the next Batman film, instead of Robin as his sidekick, Batman has a black investment banker, called Chad?

Now that we've put that to one side, I will say it again: find me this rich stable of Native American actors who would have fitted the bill, and who were eschewed in favour of Depp, and then you will have a fraction of a point. Until then this has sod all to do with racism.

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
It's 2013, and nobody, nobody, gives a shit about 'Cowboys & Indians' anymore, except perhaps for the people who have nothing better to do with their time then loathe the entertainment of yesteryear.

If the producers had seriously wanted their best possible chance to make this a success on the same level as the original Pirates Of The Caribbean movie, both intellectually & financially mind you, then they ought to have started by hiring a more charismatic leading man to play the titular Ranger. Then they should have immediately tossed Johnny Depp overboard. Then they could have replaced him with the near whitest, but still visually recognizably Native American, who could be found while combing through last year's firefighters calenders. The rest pretty much writes itself. Make the action sequences spectacular, but still keep it family friendly. Bonus squealing fan-girls would be awarded and extra ticket sales generated if they can succeed at making either the Lone Ranger or Tonto ambiguously bisexual but still manage to safely navigate that fact over the heads of the younger audience members.

Reheat the leftovers, add additional filler then serve over 2-3 increasingly thin, insipid & stupid sequels. The end.

luckshot

Jul 18, 2008
rob_simple said:
Spot1990 said:
rob_simple said:
To all the people outraged/upset/crying racism over Depp getting the role: just how many big Native American actors are there that could have fit the role, instead?

I know that will reek of ignorance, but the only Native Americans I have ever seen in films are usually old blokes and, from what I understand, even some of them are actually Hawaiian or something because it's that difficult to find good NA actors.

Is there really an actor as talented as Depp who would have been a sure thing for a solid performance? Or are we, once again, getting all bent out of shape for the sake of it?

OT: This is a shame, I was looking forward to seeing the film.
Maybe cast a household name as the whiteguy then? I mean Arnie Hammer, really? Why not cast Depp as the Lone Ranger if they wanted him in this so bad? They can't say he was wrong for the part because well look at the part they did give him

And yeah people are getting bent out of shape because it's really racist. I mean if they'd re-written the character to be a white guy it'd be less bad, simple whitewashing but this is the equivalent of Native American black face. Take 21, yeah people got upset because they got a story about Asian students but replaced them with a bucnh of white guys. Bad yeah, but it'd be much much worse if they had taped their eyes back and spoke in Engrish throughout the whole movie. Which is basically what this movie did.

Really if you're not ok with this:

Then you should not be ok with Lone Ranger. And if you are ok with the above, then yeah you're probably a racist who will never understand.
...Okay, let's take a deep breath and then point out all the ways you are over-reacting.

Is Alan Rickman a racist for playing Hans Gruber?
Is Gerard Butler a racist for playing King Leonidas?
Is Mel Gibson a racist for portraying William Wallace? (Note: Specifically William Wallace, disregarding all the other crazy shit he gets up to.)

None of those men carry the heritage of those they are playing, so why is that not racist? Is it only when skin colour becomes involved that it's considered offensive to portray someone else's nationality? Or is it just called fucking acting?

Given that Depp has claimed in the past to have Cherokee ancestry --which I'm inclined to believe, based on his facial structure, slightly tanned skin, dark hair & eyes-- it's absolutely nothing like blackface; also ignoring that blackface was performed at a time when black people had next to no rights whatsoever and was openly mocking them. If you honestly can't see the difference then you're probably a kneejerk reactionist who will never understand.

Here's the thing that annoys me the most about this: if Hollywood made a film where a an American actor of Chinese descent played a character of Japanese descent nobody would give two shits, but because Johnny Depp is noticeably different to a pure-blooded Native American people are up in arms.

So let's examine your other alternative: changing Tonto to be a white guy. Well, in that case, why not also make the Lone Ranger a knight of King Arthur's court and set the whole fucking film in Bosnia in the year 2030? How about in the next Batman film, instead of Robin as his sidekick, Batman has a black investment banker, called Chad?

Now that we've put that to one side, I will say it again: find me this rich stable of Native American actors who would have fitted the bill, and who were eschewed in favour of Depp, and then you will have a fraction of a point. Until then this has sod all to do with racism.
just like to point out the show "Longmire" is able to find native americans to play the native american roles on the show...
also
http://www.imdb.com/list/2eje60Y5XLk/
http://www.nativecelebs.com/
http://pinterest.com/lana1024/native-american-actors-models-etc/

those lists are from a few minutes on google, if they couldn't find a native american actor that means they didnt look.
if they wanted depp like spot said why not cast him as the ranger and get a lesser known actor for tonto. Or is the guy who did play the ranger some big name actor i never heard of before?

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
luckshot said:
just like to point out the show "Longmire" is able to find native americans to play the native american roles on the show...
also

those lists are from a few minutes on google, if they couldn't find a native american actor that means they didnt look.
if they wanted depp like spot said why not cast him as the ranger and get a lesser known actor for tonto. Or is the guy who did play the ranger some big name actor i never heard of before?
Haha, did you happen to notice that Johnny Depp is in that IMDB list?

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
The problem is that the "paper" was a cocktail napkin upon which was scribbled "(Old Intellectual Property + Hype) x retread of Jack Sparrow + advertising at Subway = BONZO BUX". [small]Seriously, that is the ONLY place I've seen this movie advertised.[/small] Left out as per usual were considerations such as release timing, story, a likeable lead actor, respect for the actual original franchise, etc.

As badly as the movie's bombed, maybe it's for the best that an authentic Native American didn't get the Tonto role. Depp can just bounce off of this with little personal impact (probably), but to have some up-and-coming new actor's career saddled with this mess would've been awful.

Nov 28, 2007
rasputin0009 said:
SonOfVoorhees said:
aPod said:

Come on now people, it wasn't racism that got Depp the role, it was Depp being Depp that got him that role. Should an actual indian gotten the role? I'd say so, but lets go easy with the knee-jerk reaction to call it white-washing. If some nobody played that role, maybe, but that's Johnny Depp.
This is the problem with the world, it only works for white actors, never any other. Look at Idris playing the part of a norse god in Thor. The black actor in Kane and Lynch playing the character that was a white red neck. The black actor in Dare Devil who played Kingpin, who is white in the comics.

They always say the best actor got the role, fair enough. But this whole "white washing" thing only seems to count when its a white actor playing another character of colour. But it never seems to be the case when its the other way round.

As for Depp, totally sick of him now in movies. We need new actors to be given a chance in these big budget movies. An atleast the companies would not be paying $20 million just for the actor.
Because no-names sell movies... right... Anybody remember the actor's name from John Connor?
Which John Connor? I don't remember who played him in T3, but Salvation was Christian Bale and 2 was Edward Furlong. *research* OK, it was Nick Stahl in T3. Who was also the Yellow Bastard in Sin City.

As for this...yeah, I'm not surprised it was a loss, with a budget that big. I mean, 250 million dollars for a summer blockbuster is insane, unless you have a great need for special effects and need a large budget for it (see: Transformers). Something like this, though? Even if the movie was a decent summer blockbuster, it still would have lost money just because of an out of control budget.

Bestival

May 5, 2012
What exactly was this marketing campaign aimed towards? Because I had literally not heard of this movie until today.

Now that is not super crazy as I don't own a television, but still. I heard about Pacific Rim a good year ago. New Chronicles Of Riddick coming up has been giving me nerd-semi's for about a year and a half now.
And I love Depp, though I'm not at all pleased he took such a racist role upon himself. I'd ask if it was really that bad, but it's Hollywood, so you just know it is.

Oh well, another one to wait for at the bargain bin.

(Seriously though, you guys, Riddick! YAY!)

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
SonOfVoorhees said:
aPod said:

But there's a very clear difference there, because we have a long history of white actors assuming the roles of minority characters. Popular use of blackface really wasn't that long ago. Hell, it still happens to some extent. And the issue of whitewashing is rampant. Star Trek, The Lone Ranger, Avatar, Prince of Persia, Drive, Cloud Atlas, The Hunger Games...apparently Jaime Lannister is going to play freaking Horus [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2404233/] in an upcoming film. These are (nearly) all massive projects which decided for minority erasure in key parts. Significant parts that are rarely an option for actors of colour to begin with.
The opposite development isn't so much the flip-side of the same coin (it's not even faintly as widespread to begin with) as it is popular media beginning to catch up with the times. The implications of such casting are entirely different. Inclusion rather than exclusion, if you will.

luckshot

Jul 18, 2008
rob_simple said:
luckshot said:
also

yeah, but i dont make the lists.

he claims cherokee or creek at some point in his past so they include him

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
luckshot said:
rob_simple said:
luckshot said:
also

yeah, but i dont make the lists.

he claims cherokee or creek at some point in his past so they include him
I just found it ironic, is all.

Also, half the actors on that list are either old as fuck or women, so I don't think it's quite the rich vein of raw talent you're possibly making it out to be.

Like I said, as soon as I hear a Native American actor come forth and say he was turned down for the part because he wasn't as famous as Depp I may consider changing my stance; until then I consider him the best of both worlds: Cherokee descent and his name has a lot of star power (although clearly not enough to save this film, it would seem.)

luckshot

Jul 18, 2008
true, on most points rob, especially those lists containing a lot of old and possibly deceased actors. the point was that i was able to find LISTS of actors in a few minutes on a computer, casting depp in the part and no angry natives coming forward seems to imply they never looked.

the problem is they didnt seem to bother trying to find a good actor of native ancestry, or at least one with more evidence then simply saying they are

a similar thing happened with the last air bender, the casting calls were for all white children for the main characters

and as for depps star power, why not as some have suggested give him the star of the ranger rather than the crow hat of the overplayed stereotype?

and personally i would rather have good actors that fit parts that i dont know than an actor i do know miscast

also these rollover ads that sit in the message box are really annoying and keep me from proof reading

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
I wonder if the people bitching about Johnny Depp playing a "Native American" character are the same people who bitched about Idris Elba playing Heimdall - a Nordic/White character in Thor.

If they are, should we care what they think? Would it might have been a better idea to cast a character of the intended ethnicity? Maybe. Is it a critical factor? No. It's more about the actor.