Lone Ranger Goes Boom! To Tune Of $150 Million Loss

Stalydan

Mar 18, 2011
Flatfrog said:
Chessrook44 said:
When they said "Everything looked perfect on paper" I was left thinking of this clip... [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsNrwHA6Big]
Whereas I could only think of Brian Clough:

"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass"
This is like the ultimate argument against focus groups. They'll say what they think they should like, not what they actually do.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Doesn't surprise me.

The outrage against Johnny Depp for speaking for Native Americans despite never understanding their culture nor living like one, and the fact that they would rather hire Depp instead of an actual Native American to play the role- the movie was damned to fail.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Not suprised. Good on paper? Perhaps in a 1950's comic book, and don't expect it to do anything over seas. No one out side the US has ever cared about the Lone Ranger. It's an exclusively USA thing. Zorro was always far more populare a character. Reminds me when they did the green hornet film as if anyone knew or cared. The only reason none americans even know the name of character was because it comes up in general knowledge pub quiz machines about bruce lee.

Seventh Actuality

Apr 23, 2010
It fucks me off that this is going to be turned into another point against the Western genre instead of badly thought out reboots, terrible casting or by-the-numbers filmmaking.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
"Everything was perfect on paper," says Disney exec.
Yeah, I can't help but think that this movie was drawn out on construction paper with crayon and glitter. -_-

If you're making a Lone Ranger movie, you've gotta play it straight and earnest. That's the whole point of the character. Also you've gotta cast a real native American dude (or chick, I could live with that) as Tanto. And you've gotta not spend a bajillion dollars -- it's just a Western, people. Show some restraint. Or ever learn... anything.
Well said, Ace Morologist, well said.

When they said "Everything looked perfect on paper" I was left thinking of this clip...

I see your Nostalgia Critic, Chessrook44, and raise you an epic applause from Citizen Kane...

Ever since the first photo of Tonto came out, everyone on the planet (except for the ones that actually saw the movie) knew this was going to suck. The comic book adaptation from Dynamite Entertainment was more faithful than this cinematic turd.

Not much else to say or do about this... except bust a move! HAPPY DANCE TIME!

Better hang onto that Marvel property good and tight, Disney!

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Dragonbums said:
Doesn't surprise me.

The outrage against Johnny Depp for speaking for Native Americans despite never understanding their culture nor living like one, and the fact that they would rather hire Depp instead of an actual Native American to play the role- the movie was damned to fail.
Was there much outrage on this? As in, by the general audience?

I don't watch (US) tv or talkshows or follow entertainment news apart from games, so I wouldn't know.

luvd1 said:
Reminds me when they did the green hornet film as if anyone knew or cared.
Hey! I cared! I liked the show.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
I saw it coming. But I didn't want it to fail.

I don't like cash-in reboots, but the movie looked cool enough......I mean it couldn't be worse than At World's End right?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
"Everything was perfect on paper," he said, as he painted Johnny Depp's face white with warpaint.

Yeaaaaaaaaah. I wonder what they'll pin the blame on now. Nostalgia Chick's review of The Host makes it more depressing, because she points out that they INVARIABLY blame the wrong thing (she's absolutely sure that execs will blame the failure of The Host on the fact that it's sci-fi with a female lead).

Dendio

Mar 24, 2010
Should have had deep play the lone ranger and hired a hot native american chick to be tanto. Deep should channel his jack sparrow while playing lone ranger.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
It's good to see that my initial reaction to this film
was echoed in its box office performance.

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
Dragonbums said:
Doesn't surprise me.

It was nothing to do with any sort of outrage. It's just a shitty, uninteresting film. I have to say that I saw this coming.

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
Was there much outrage on this? As in, by the general audience?
While it wasn't reported on the news or any other mainstream outlet, my dashboard was more than stuffed with very pissed off Native Americans about the entire movie as a whole.
And considering how the notes were blowing through the roof I can only assume it reached many readers.

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
It was nothing to do with any sort of outrage. It's just a shitty, uninteresting film. I have to say that I saw this coming.
From what I say, a very vocal and a much listened to Native American people went to tumblr and spread their outrage around like fire.
On top of the SJ people refusing to see the movie, a bunch of Johnny Depp haters came out of the wood works too.
Johnney Depp and his whole Native American speech didn't help much either.

aPod

Jan 14, 2010
*Rabble Rabble* YA! Having Depp play an indian, super rascist! *Rabble Rabble*

Come on now people, it wasn't racism that got Depp the role, it was Depp being Depp that got him that role. Should an actual indian gotten the role? I'd say so, but lets go easy with the knee-jerk reaction to call it white-washing. If some nobody played that role, maybe, but that's Johnny Depp.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Number one problem is trying to sell a niche movie to the world. Most people outside USA dont give a shit about lone ranger, or more to the point, cowboys in general. Very bad idea to make a big budget cow boy movie. They should of just made it low budget and told a good story and it would have made money instead of spending $175 million to sell it to the world that dont care.

Like computer games, you cant just throw a ton of cash and famous actors at it and expect it to sell.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Launching it against Monsters University couldn't have helped. I can't believe they didn't realize they'd be cannibalizing their own sales by competing with another (better) movie from the same company.

P.S. Thanks

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Release average summer movie between MAN OF STEEL and PACIFIC RIM

Be shocked when it tanks

Disney please.