Lone Ranger Goes Boom! To Tune Of $150 Million Loss

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
synobal said:
"Everything was perfect on paper" says the disney exce that was in charge of the committee over seeing the development of the movie.

Seriously I felt like this entire movie was done by the numbers, like one of those old pain by numbers pages.

Also Pirates of the Caribbean 5? I've still not watched 2, 3, and 4!
That line sums up the problem really, the movie was made 'on paper', by the numbers, it was simply a product to be sold not a story to be told and they got what they deserve. Disney needs to be slapped over the back of the head from time to time.

TWEWYFan

Mar 22, 2012
synobal said:
"Everything was perfect on paper" says the disney exce that was in charge of the committee over seeing the development of the movie.

Seriously I felt like this entire movie was done by the numbers, like one of those old pain by numbers pages.

Also Pirates of the Caribbean 5? I've still not watched 2, 3, and 4!
God am I with you there, the series really needs to just end! Also I think you meant "paint by numbers" but given the film in question pain may have been more apt.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
aPod said:
*Rabble Rabble* YA! Having Depp play an indian, super rascist! *Rabble Rabble*

Come on now people, it wasn't racism that got Depp the role, it was Depp being Depp that got him that role. Should an actual indian gotten the role? I'd say so, but lets go easy with the knee-jerk reaction to call it white-washing. If some nobody played that role, maybe, but that's Johnny Depp.
This is the problem with the world, it only works for white actors, never any other. Look at Idris playing the part of a norse god in Thor. The black actor in Kane and Lynch playing the character that was a white red neck. The black actor in Dare Devil who played Kingpin, who is white in the comics.

They always say the best actor got the role, fair enough. But this whole "white washing" thing only seems to count when its a white actor playing another character of colour. But it never seems to be the case when its the other way round.

As for Depp, totally sick of him now in movies. We need new actors to be given a chance in these big budget movies. An atleast the companies would not be paying $20 million just for the actor.

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
I remember seeing the trailer for this movie when I was at the movies a month or so ago, and thinking to myself, 'god that looks just awful, and so boring.'

A dull brown-gray setting, dull characters, and what seemed like an excuse to put Johnny Depp in a movie (not even going to touch the Red-face debacle). Not sure why Disney thought this was going to fly.

As for Pirates 5, hopefully Disney will realize you can't just build a movie around Johnny Depp and expect it to make money - it just barely broke even from what I've read. Anyway, you've got to have other interesting characters, and a fun setting to make it a success.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
And you can be sure Disney's soltution to this will be to sink even more money in the next nostalgia grab or quirky Depp vehicle. You think they would've learned their lesson with John Carter.

Anyway, nice to see shit getting treated like shit.

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
Considering the MovieBob review I'm not surprised

I for one have tired of movies that seem to revolve completely around Depp making funny faces and being silly. The last Pirates of the Caribbean movie is a great example of this.

Plus, white guy playing indian - just... no - this is bordering The Last Airbender levels of bad racial miscasting

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
Or... you know... maybe it was just a crappy movie?

Can we get this tagged "hubris"?

Pinky's Brain

Mar 2, 2011
lacktheknack said:
Yeaaaaaaaaah. I wonder what they'll pin the blame on now. Nostalgia Chick's review of The Host makes it more depressing, because she points out that they INVARIABLY blame the wrong thing (she's absolutely sure that execs will blame the failure of The Host on the fact that it's sci-fi with a female lead).
Small consolation ... the hunger games sequel is almost certainly going to be a success, so everyone will ignore them.

Unfortunately that just means they will try to force more hunger game elements into plots utterly unsuited for it.

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
Legion said:
CriticalMiss said:
And does it really cost $175 million to market a film? That's more than half of the budget to actually make it!
The funniest part of reading that for me was that I wasn't even aware of it's existence until I saw Moviebob had done an article on it. Even now I know about it, I still know absolutely nothing about what it is except a Western of some kind with Johnny Depp.

So their marketing money was clearly well spent.
Ya, same here. I had never heard of the movie until every critic was giving it shit reviews. I probably would've gone to see it because I love Depp and I love Westerns. Yet I saw lots of Despicable Me 2 trailers.

The marketing team must have gotten confused on whether to market Depp to teenage girls or market it being a Western to old people.

Diana Kingston-Gabai

Aug 3, 2010
Chessrook44 said:
When they said "Everything looked perfect on paper" I was left thinking of this clip... [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsNrwHA6Big]
And I had "Square root of 912.04 is 30.2... It all seemed harmless..." :)

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
SonOfVoorhees said:
aPod said:

Come on now people, it wasn't racism that got Depp the role, it was Depp being Depp that got him that role. Should an actual indian gotten the role? I'd say so, but lets go easy with the knee-jerk reaction to call it white-washing. If some nobody played that role, maybe, but that's Johnny Depp.
This is the problem with the world, it only works for white actors, never any other. Look at Idris playing the part of a norse god in Thor. The black actor in Kane and Lynch playing the character that was a white red neck. The black actor in Dare Devil who played Kingpin, who is white in the comics.

They always say the best actor got the role, fair enough. But this whole "white washing" thing only seems to count when its a white actor playing another character of colour. But it never seems to be the case when its the other way round.

As for Depp, totally sick of him now in movies. We need new actors to be given a chance in these big budget movies. An atleast the companies would not be paying $20 million just for the actor.
Because no-names sell movies... right... Anybody remember the actor's name from John Connor?

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
Casual Shinji said:
And you can be sure Disney's soltution to this will be to sink even more money in the next nostalgia grab or quirky Depp vehicle. You think they would've learned their lesson with John Carter.

Anyway, nice to see shit getting treated like shit.
Phrozenflame500 said:
Karloff said:
"Everything was perfect on paper," says Disney exec.
Pffffft hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Johnny Depp good on paper

Hahahahahahaha
Johnny Depp is good on paper. He sells movies. But you'd think the Jack Sparrow character might be a little stale now.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
I didn't really mind Johnny Depp playing a Native American, as I assumed his name on the cast list was the only reason the film was made. The real problem with this film, as I saw it, was that Johnny Depp was the main selling point. He has a strange habit of trying to steal the show as a secondary character when everyone would rather worry about the main character. It worked in Pirates of the Caribbean because those movies without Jack Sparrow were like political dramas on boats. But in the Lone Ranger, if there's someone who's name I recognize, I'd like it to be the Ranger's.

DwRedux

Oct 28, 2009
Speaking as an overseas fella, I have to say that the advertisement for this has been horrible. I was interested in this, until the trailers started coming on. I dunno who they have in charge of my regions advertisement. But ive seen the US trailers, and that made the movie seem at least watchable. The local trailers, not so much.

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
SonOfVoorhees said:
aPod said:

Just so you know, there was a lot of noise made about a black kingpin, and even more about a black norse god, (especially the whitest of norse gods being played by a black actor) I didn't hear anything about Kane and Lynch because I just heard that there was a movie about it.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Nimzabaat said:
SonOfVoorhees said:
aPod said:

Just so you know, there was a lot of noise made about a black kingpin, and even more about a black norse god, (especially the whitest of norse gods being played by a black actor) I didn't hear anything about Kane and Lynch because I just heard that there was a movie about it.
I remember, and all those people complaining were shot down as racist.

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
That's what happens when you make a WESTERN for $250 million. You could of made a decent Lone Ranger film for half, maybe even a third of that money. I can't believe nobody at Disney pointed this out, especially after the failure Cowboys and Aliens.

Make a good film on less money, make a better profit or at the very least, less of a loss.