Lone Ranger Writer To Script Masters of the Universe Movie

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Lone Ranger Writer To Script Masters of the Universe Movie

By the power of Tonto's bird hat?

If you're a die-hard fan of Masters of the Universe - and yes, it is the one you think it is, Grayskull and all - then you may already have been aware there's a movie in the works. But until now you won't have known who's going to write it: Terry Rossio, co-writer of that blockbuster Western, The Lone Ranger [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/7660-The-Lone-Ranger]. Look on his works, ye mighty, and despair? Possibly, but don't hold your breath waiting for this one to come out; it hasn't got a director yet, having lost Jon M. Chu of G.I. Joe: Retaliation fame.

Rossio's done the action thing once or twice before, more often than not in movies that involve Johnny Depp in some capacity. He's the man to go to for Pirates of the Carribbean trivia, as he's had his hand in Book of Secrets, At World's End, Dead Man's Chest, The Curse of the Black Pearl, On Stranger Tides, the video game, Tales of the Code: Wedlocked, and the upcoming Dead Men Tell No Tales. The Masters of the Universe has already gone through three other writers at this point, and the departure of Chu with no replacement in sight means yet another delay for the movie.

Will you see Eternia on the big screen? Maybe, and if you do, you may have Rossio to thank, but there's no way to know when that's going to happen. At least not yet.

Source: Hollywood Reporter [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/lone-ranger-writer-tapped-write-644438]

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Starring Depp as Orco, a character that, for some reason, has twice as much screen time as He-Man.

Also I have to link this at this juncture

Thedutchjelle

Mar 31, 2009
I'll be honest, I've never seen this series as a child. Might be because I didn't grow up in the US in the eighties. Must admit that judging by Youtube, I haven't really missed a whole lot.

However, I must point out that you missed a glorious oppertunity to use the HEYYEYAAEYAAAEYAEYAA video as leading image.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
I think the title is a bit harsh, attaching a recent failure to the man. He's written and co written some great family films:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Rossio#Filmography_.28partial_listing.29

The thing to note though is the word "family". They are family films, which will be ok if he can mould a "Curse of the Black Pearl" out of it, but will likely end up unsatisfying (like John Carter on Mars). Which is a shame, because the world is ripe for some good pulpy Sci-Fan

Bring back Barbarella or a live action Heavy Metal plzthx

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Except Dead Man's Chest, At World's End, and The Lone Ranger all sucked. I put absolutely no confidence in this writer.

P.S. Thanks

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Covarr said:
Except Dead Man's Chest, At World's End, and The Lone Ranger all sucked. I put absolutely no confidence in this writer.
After At World's End, PotC can't hurt me any more.

He might be a terrific writer, for all I know. He's clearly signed on to make Jerry Bruckheimer-style action vehicles. And I can understand that; I'm sure they paycheck is better than decent, and steady work as a Hollywood screenwriter is a rare and precious bird. But when you spend a long time producing more-or-less consistent, assembly-line work, there's a good chance that all you're going to produce is more-or-less consistent, assembly-line work, especially if you're given something like Masters of the Universe which to many people will scream to be... a Jerry Bruckheimer-style action vehicle. At best.

I suppose that given the number of cooks that goes into these things (even the first PotC boasted no less than six writing credits), the question is how much influence he had, and whether that influence was good, bad or indifferent.

Alcom1

Jun 19, 2013
Thedutchjelle said:
I'll be honest, I've never seen this series as a child. Might be because I didn't grow up in the US in the eighties. Must admit that judging by Youtube, I haven't really missed a whole lot.

However, I must point out that you missed a glorious oppertunity to use the HEYYEYAAEYAAAEYAEYAA video as leading image.
I was born in '92 and I still managed to see some episodes while I was still a small child. Even then, I'm certain that I didn't like it very much for some currently intangible reason.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
MCerberus said:
Starring Depp as Orco, a character that, for some reason, has twice as much screen time as He-Man.

You forgot to mention that Orco will be wearing a silly hat for absolutely no reason at all.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
RJ 17 said:
MCerberus said:

You forgot to mention that Orco will be wearing a silly hat for absolutely no reason at all.

AAARRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!, damn ninjas, both of you! >.<'

OT: I was about to say something related to Depp wearing silly hats and getting more screen time than He-Man, but apparently, EVERYONE thought the same :/

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
I'm not sure how much I'd blame him for the failings of the Lone Ranger, it seems like that movie had too many cooks, and producers (and probably Depp) are more to blame.

Who knows how this will turn out. I'm not terribly invested, but I certainly hope it will be good.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
SupahGamuh said:
RJ 17 said:
MCerberus said:

AAARRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!, damn ninjas, both of you! >.<'

OT: I was about to say something related to Depp wearing silly hats and getting more screen time than He-Man, but apparently, EVERYONE thought the same :/
To be fair: Depp, his screen-time, and the wearing of silly hats is probably one of the easiest go-to comments for this thread. :p

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
Ooh boy. So this means we can look forward to three quarters of the film focusing on the day to day tedium of Prince Adam's slog through Eternian court bureaucracy before we finally see him turn into He-Man and actually fucking do something interesting. Thanks, but no thanks.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
The Masters of the Universe has already gone through three other writers at this point
Only three writers? A quality Hollywood a script needs to be rewritten at least six or seven times and go through a handful of directors before filming can begin. Then you have to have at least twelve rewrites after you've finished filming using no less than four writers, but each writer can only rewrite every other page or every third page if it is the same week as someone else has done a rewrite. That's how you make a box office hit. Also it has to relate to the source material as little as possible.

And I think it's obvious that I'm going to give this one a miss. The last He-Man/Masters of the Universe movie was rather shit, I'm expecting this one to remain true to that legacy.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
But will it be as epic as the Dolph Lundgren movie?

MCerberus said:
Then no. No Gwildor, no sale!

>.>

But seriously, at least he already has a hat?

CriticalMiss said:
The last He-Man/Masters of the Universe movie was rather shit
YOU TAKE THAT BACK!

*runs off sobbing*

DSK-

May 13, 2010
Haha. Man I loved watching He-man as a kid. Can't think why nowadays, but all I can remember is "I HAVE THE POWERRRRRRRRRR!".

Also worth noting is my tutor at a part-time college class in called Heman :D

I have to force myself to refrain from uttering the aforementioned phrase constantly around him, heh :D