Long Live 2D

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
Interesting. I'd like to see more of the kind of style that was in the first Blitzkrieg, and the first Port Royale, and Patrician. I'm not sure what it's called, but it allowed those game to have some minuscule detail, and look gorgeous, even today.

thesmurf45

Jun 9, 2009
I reckon they could if people would play them not just thinking "Its not 3D therefore it sucks"

Xvito

Aug 16, 2008
Great article as always!

And to answer your question: I want a game close to Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow, but with Co-op... And a bigger map. Ah yes... 2D-open-world.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I agree, Ive been parroting this a while now, I think there's a major lack of games coming out that are 2D and the major companies have little interest in doing them, like it'd be beneath them or something. What's wrong with 2D games? They were successful then and I'm sure they'd do fine now, you might not have the people depending on graphics on your boat but frankly I can't imagine that being a big group. I've spent a few bucks on some GBA games since many have the makings of a great/good 2D game that isn't trying to shoehorn in some stupid game mechanic and there's quite a few fun 2D games on the GBA.

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
Xvito said:
Great article as always!

And to answer your question: I want a game close to Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow, but with Co-op... And a bigger map. Ah yes... 2D-open-world.
Yes, yes, yes, yes. I love that game.

I also love the 2D Zelda games, they still come out on handhelds, but a console one would be excellent. I even like the 2D Capcom Zelda games on the Gameboy color.

I also loved the gameplay of Shadow Complex, I really hope some more games start using imaginative 2D games that do things like add tons of secrets, like you mentioned. Of course, I prefer 3D FPSs.

George Palmer

Halfro Representative
Feb 23, 2009
If the game is good, it doesn't matter what the graphics look like. (Look at how many people have played Tetris over and over again.)

If the game is bad then it REALLY matters what the graphics look like. (How many games have looked incredible, only to be put down after playing it a few times.)

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
SirSchmoopy said:
99% of flash games are all 2D and they are on the rise in popularity.
Excellent point. Perhaps the theme hasn't been abandoned, but technology has moved to the point where almost anyone can make a 2D game, so the market has become saturated with mostly low quality free games.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
We are just seeing the natural evolution of gaming as the technology gets better. From single screens (asteroids, berzerk, pac-man) to side scrollers (defender, moon patrol), to plane scrolling (xevious), to forced perspective (space harrier), to 2.5d like wolfenstein to modern 3d.

That doesn't mean the old tech will be abandoned, just that it will be more choices overall, even though there are less in any particular area. And as the technology gets better and better there is less of a development effort to make games in the older technology area. You can bang out a space invaders clone in Flash in about an hour if you know what you are doing. I'm sure the original assembly development took months.

I think Planescape was a bad example, because what made Planescape glorious wasn't the graphics or gameplay, which were pretty dated by the release date, but the unrivaled story. And part of the power of that game was the graphics helped the atmosphere and immersion rather than distracted from it.

2d is far from dead. World of Goo, Braid, Shadow Complex, Mega Man 9, Trine, Castlevania:OoE, Bionic Commando ReArmed are all recent, well reviewed games. How much more do you need? The background in all but Mega Man and Braid are 3d but the gameplay is all on the 2d plane.

Ravek

Aug 6, 2009
Commandos 2 is another example of how games with 2D graphics (Commandos 2 actually had partially 3D gameplay) can be absolutely beautiful. Sure, the resolution is low because it's old, but everything else is incredible.

As for what 2D game I'd like to see revived, I really wouldn't know. A lot of the SNES games still have something similar (or direct remakes) for the GBA or DS, and I can't really think of games you haven't mentioned that are completely brilliant in 2D but could never work in 3D. (I consider Metroid an example).

Speaking of DS remakes, I thought it was incredibly unfortunate that the Fire Emblem remake featured pretty bland 3D animations instead of the beautifully hand-crafted 2D animations that came before.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
I'd give my left arm for a Lost vikings reboot.

Wait, then I couldn't play it.

I'd give someone else's left arm for a Lost Vikings reboot.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
thesmurf45 said:
I reckon they could if people would play them not just thinking "Its not 3D therefore it sucks"
I've had my fair share of run-ins with these particular woefully misled individuals. Anyone who denounces a game purely because it's 2D should be shot on sight.

I would like to see a remake of Digger, but I'm led to believe that one is already in the works and due out late September, so I guess that renders my argument moot...

Oh yeah. WOOOOOO :)

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
When I was nine I was afraid to play games in 3d for some reason that now escapes me.

Nutcase

Dec 3, 2008
The overwhelming majority of shoot'em ups are 2D and have remained that way all along, so obviously the prejudice against 2D is not universal.

Looks to me like platformers have been hit the hardest for no reason whatsoever. Why aren't there games reminiscent of Super Mario World on the 360 and the PS3? Even Nintendo's own consoles do not have them. The Super Mario Bros Wii they are making now is the first they've done in three freaking console generations.

Grampy_bone

Mar 12, 2008
Err, Shamus, where have you been for the last four or five years? 2D games are flourishing on the DS and on Xbox arcade/PSN. New Super Mario Bros? Prince of Persia redux? Bionic Commando Rearmed? Hello? Ring any bells?

Also, this article and (to a greater extent) many of the comments imply a misconception so wrong it always makes my brain hurt. They are implying that the race for high-tech 3D graphics and lost 2D games is somehow being caused by "idiot casual gamers." Actually, the exact opposite is true. Hardcore gamers are the ones demanding more graphical quality and more complex 3D games, not the casuals. Casual gamers don't give a crap about graphics or technology; why do you think they Wii is so successful?

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
I would love to see old beat-em-ups rebooted. I cannot name any of them, I only played them on coin-operated arcade machines when I was a kid, but they were awesome. I remember in one of them I could throw a scooter at oncoming thugs... and remember another one having cooperative mode with weird characters, a kid on rollerblades, a robot guy and some kid on a skateboard if I remember correctly...

Oh, the good ol days...

Avernus

Jun 10, 2009
Battle for Bungling Bay... C64 old school :)
Really loved that game when I was young.

MajoraPersona

Aug 4, 2009
Metroid: Dread needs some love, for one.

For those of you who don't know, it's a Metroid game that's supposedly been in the works for years, a 2-d sequel to Metroid Fusion. It's not the 3-d game shown at E3; curious parties asked and got confirmation as such.

Nutcase

Dec 3, 2008
Playbahnosh said:
I would love to see old beat-em-ups rebooted. I cannot name any of them, I only played them on coin-operated arcade machines when I was a kid, but they were awesome. I remember in one of them I could throw a scooter at oncoming thugs... and remember another one having cooperative mode with weird characters, a kid on rollerblades, a robot guy and some kid on a skateboard if I remember correctly...

Oh, the good ol days...
I have never played beat'em ups more than a few minutes, but I know The Punisher and Aliens vs Predator are considered to be some of the best.