Long-Lost Star Wars Blooper Reel Hits YouTube

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Long-Lost Star Wars Blooper Reel Hits YouTube

A Star Wars blooper reel that hasn't been seen in 36 years demonstrates that it's not easy running around in stormtrooper armor.

Back in July a short video of outtakes from Star Wars - the original, the one you kids call A New Hope - was shown for the first time to a small audience at Comic-Con. It was discovered by editor J.W. Rinzler, who had been digging through Lucasfilm archives for a "making of" video, and while members of the Comic-Con audience were asked not to make any recordings, the brief blooper reel has now made its way to YouTube.

It's a quick clip, about 2.5 minutes, and not nearly as profane as I generally prefer my bloopers to be, but watching C3PO slowly tumble sideways after laboriously cresting a sand dune is great, and the "Oh my God, my finger!" bit is good for a laugh. But the highlight has to be the stormtrooper hole, which if nothing else is an object lesson in why real soldiers don't wear full suits of hard-plated armor.

It's also kind of fun to note, as the sharp-eyed Paul Goodman [https://twitter.com/wmdogma] did, that the title on the clapper is The Star Wars, the original name of the film. Be aware that there's no audio for the first few clips, which is a loss - that lead rebel soldier looks like he's got a few choice words for the guy behind him. Enjoy!

Source: Mashable [http://mashable.com/2013/07/20/star-wars-bloopers-comic-con/]

skywolfblue

Jul 17, 2011
Watching stormtroopers tiptoe around and slide like it's an ice rink was glorious!

Also: "How do you pronounce supernova?" hehehe

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Aaaaand watching the great Peter Cushing mess up a take suddenly makes Grand Moff Tarkin seem all the less evil as a character. Way to ruin an iconic villain!

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
This just made my day. They all had such distinctive character in the film, watching them spontaneously break out of it is quite a treat (particularly Peter Cushing).

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
My sides entered a new plain of existence by the time that stormtrooper's belt came off.

Animyr

Jan 11, 2011
Yeah, the stormtrooper's entrance was the best part. It looked like it was straight out of a parody.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Aerosteam said:
My sides entered a new plain of existence by the time that stormtrooper's belt came off.
Part of me wished his trousers would fall downshortly afterwards, accompanied by a sliding whistle noise.

Think how great it would be if the next trilogy was just a bunch of Star Wars themed slapstick routines. It would make the prequel trilogy look like less of a joke.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Loved the Stormtroopers stumbling over the fake debris and sliding around. I guess their costumes' boots didn't have a proper profile or something?

kael013

Jun 12, 2010
That was alright, got a few chuckles out of me. The stormtrooper and Tarkin bits were the best though.

UrinalDook

Jan 7, 2013
I didn't think the stormtrooper bit could get any funnier... then the guy's belt fell off! Oh, my sides. Split second, and completely unintended, timing - the purest form of comedy.

I know I should be grateful for getting anything, but I still wish it was a little longer. I'd love to see some outtakes from the trash compactor scene, or some more stormtroopers bumbling about it - I mean some of their numbskullery made it into the final cut, there must be a motherlode of unrevealed gems.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Did anyone else have Yakety Sax suddenly start playing in their head the moment the Stormtroopers were trying to pile through the hole?

No? Just me?

Okay then...

Aug 1, 2010
That was really really strange.

Something about seeing the scenes that have been ingrained in the memories of myself and popular culture, but done wrong somehow puts them in this weird non-movie space that feels impossible for Star Wars.

Also I love how serious Mark Hamill is about pronouncing "Supernova" correctly, and then they didn't even use the line.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I love how Harrison Ford visibly winced when the explosives took out half the set by accident. The wall exploded and he just cringes.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Mark D. Stroyer said:
To my dry sense of humour, this is hilarious.

That stormtrooper entry was side-splitting.
Same reaction from me. They could put that on a loop with Yakety Sax and I'd piss myself.

Edit:
Vigormortis said:
Did anyone else have Yakety Sax suddenly start playing in their head the moment the Stormtroopers were trying to pile through the hole?

No? Just me?

Okay then...
I think this means we're kindred... or something.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
That was amazing. I really can't blame those storm troopers. Poor buggers can't see a thing in that helmet.

And C-3PO and that Duros' finger had me laughing.