long term subsititute teacher quits after her 1st day

Darren716

Jul 7, 2011
I know this is kind of off topic but i remember back in 5th grade the school couldnt find any sub for my class because we were so bad mostly because alot of inner-citykids moved to my shool after the school they went to got closed down. Back on topic, wow that person sounds like a ***** if you ask me.

Matt Oliver

Mar 15, 2011
Screamarie said:
Matt Oliver said:
Screamarie said:
While it was crappy of her to do, there could have been any number of reasons why she quit. We had one teacher when I was in 8th grade that quite after only a month because she had to return her home state because her mother's health was failing. Don't get me wrong, I can tell the situations are vastly different, but yeah.

Also the thing about teaching is kind of like being a police officer. You go through all the training and you go to first day and....you can't handle it. So you quit. I'm not trying to say teaching is the same as being a police officer, it's just a job that until you get into you will have no idea what to expect. I've taken some teacher's certification classes and while they are informative, there's no way that they can teach you how to handle all situations, hell they can't even teach you how to handle a few situations.

But who knows, maybe she is planning something sinister and evil...or is just a total lazy *****.
she held a job as a long term sub at her former high school which is in the state as well. just saying...
Ahh I see. When you said long term sub I thought you meant that she was expected to stay long term. Well then who knows...
she was supposed to stay with us till the end of the year but this would of been her 2nd time doing so

Matt Oliver

Mar 15, 2011
"The fact that she has had long term placements in your school in the past suggests that she isn't a bum, that something actually came up this time to justify her actions." this is the first time she was at my school.
HR? in a public school system? funny if I was in any authority position to give references I would be as blatant as can be. No one escapes my blatant non-beating around the bushes honesty.

ffs-dontcare

Aug 13, 2009
I truly find myself wondering why she quit after one day.

Perhaps she had a somewhat decent motive if not sinister ones.

But I'm not holding my breath. Still, though, I am curious.

cheywoodward

Dec 2, 2009
Crazy. At least she won't be hired at my school now. I live in Concord (MA) so without that email my school could have been stuck with a terrible science teacher. Your principal seems to be quite principled.

Matt Oliver

Mar 15, 2011
cheywoodward said:
Crazy. At least she won't be hired at my school now. I live in Concord (MA) so without that email my school could have been stuck with a terrible science teacher. Your principal seems to be quite principled.
He sent out a phone call to the families of the affected students not email to all of you but watch out for a fairly young teacher who's only other job was long term sub at carver high.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Maybe she looked at the photo's and in true horror style half your class had no faces...

*insert dramatic music here*

And she then fled the country in terror in case the no faces came and fed her to their pet killer lemmings.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Screamarie said:
While it was crappy of her to do, there could have been any number of reasons why she quit. We had one teacher when I was in 8th grade that quite after only a month because she had to return her home state because her mother's health was failing. Don't get me wrong, I can tell the situations are vastly different, but yeah.

Also the thing about teaching is kind of like being a police officer. You go through all the training and you go to first day and....you can't handle it. So you quit. I'm not trying to say teaching is the same as being a police officer, it's just a job that until you get into you will have no idea what to expect. I've taken some teacher's certification classes and while they are informative, there's no way that they can teach you how to handle all situations, hell they can't even teach you how to handle a few situations.

But who knows, maybe she is planning something sinister and evil...or is just a total lazy *****.
Agreed overall.... but it's closer to being a police officer than you think. Seriously. Most of the time, you're not dealing with the best and brightest. Most of your time is spent dealing with society's left-overs -- kids whose parents don't give a damn, so neither do they, and yet you are responsible for whether or not they give a damn. The bad kids are where you spend most of your time and energy, just so you can get any work done for the rest.

The only thing that makes it not like being a cop is there is a bit less violence. A bit. Remember that not every day for cops involves shootouts, and many days for teachers involve breaking up fights between rather large kids.

The sad upsides:

1. Cops don't generally get fired because someone they arrested didn't turn into a model citizen, but teachers can be fired because the kid didn't suddenly decide to love school.

2. Cops have to deal with the ass-end of society, but they are at least given the tools and authority to do so. Imagine trying to arrest someone if they could just say, "No," and you couldn't do anything about it...

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
ravensheart18 said:
I think the students are feeding you BS they made up. No matter what you think is "right", what you are suggesting is a labor law/privacy law/employment law problem in most of Canada and the US.

As it comes to good reviews... the first rule of reference checks these days is you can't give a bad review, you can only refuse to give a reference or give a neutral or positive one. Anything else is an HR no-no. Also no one would put a one day job on their resume so no one will call him unless he violates privacy laws.

It's also worth saying that you are judging her based on rumor. For all you know she was offered a permanent position (and ALL employers with a brain expect a temp to leave them if a permanent job comes up), she could have had a death in the family, she could have just received a cancer diagnosis, she could have had a dispute with the principal that justifies her leaving for reasons you don't know, and on and on.

The fact that she has had long term placements in your school in the past suggests that she isn't a bum, that something actually came up this time to justify her actions.

Stop judging what you don't know.
Indeed.

Between cops and teachers, everyone likes to pretend they know everything about the two hardest damned jobs out there. Everyone likes to not only believe they could do it better, but that all of the problems are a result of laziness, incompetence, or the lack of ridiculously simple solutions that clearly everyone has already thought of and tried.

Cops and teachers are also human beings. They have lives outside work, and sometimes sudden changes in those lives cause changes in work. Also, those two jobs are bloody difficult, because you're constantly being pulled in ten different directions by ten mutually-exclusive sets of expectations, and all for piss pay.

Oscar Ben Newton

Oct 2, 2010
Satsuki666 said:
Wait your saying it took your principal six weeks to find this teacher and then she quit after one day? I am calling bullshit on that. Every single school has a very long call list of substitute teachers. No principal would even let a class go without a teacher for more then one day and still keep his job.

The other main thing that causes me to call bullshit is that somehow you know the inner workings of your school and have knowledge of stuff that cant be legally told to you.
Ok this might be because I live in Africa,but this one time we didnt have a teacher for a term(Like 2 months). This was because our principal could not find a substitute Afrikaans teacher. So I dont think the first calling Bullshit reason is valid.

Matt Oliver

Mar 15, 2011
Oscar Ben Newton said:
Satsuki666 said:
Wait your saying it took your principal six weeks to find this teacher and then she quit after one day? I am calling bullshit on that. Every single school has a very long call list of substitute teachers. No principal would even let a class go without a teacher for more then one day and still keep his job.

The other main thing that causes me to call bullshit is that somehow you know the inner workings of your school and have knowledge of stuff that cant be legally told to you.
Ok this might be because I live in Africa,but this one time we didnt have a teacher for a term(Like 2 months). This was because our principal could not find a substitute Afrikaans teacher. So I dont think the first calling Bullshit reason is valid.
LONG TERM SUB as in not oh my teacher is sick, so we need someone for the day sub. oh my teacher had her baby and wont be back till next year, so we need to find someone who can teach this class so the students don't fail when they go to college, sub.

Philol

Nov 7, 2011
Unless she had a legitimate reason to end her services, she shouldn't have quit, she should have stayed until her contract was up or a legitimate reason came about.

Matt Oliver

Mar 15, 2011
Philol said:
Unless she had a legitimate reason to end her services, she shouldn't have quit, she should have stayed until her contract was up or a legitimate reason came about.
I don't know if she was bound by a contract seeing as she was a long term subsitute. I expected my principal to come visit my class and atleast tell us himself what the plans are that are in the works atm.