Longest Singleplayer Game?

Chaosut

Apr 8, 2009
What's the longest singleplayer game that you've played that's also good. Particularly on first playthrough. You may have seen one of my previous posts about how i miss long singleplayer campaigns (or you may not have, as the case may be), so i thought i'd see if there's any i've missed out on. I'd probably say mine is Knights of the old Republic, particularly on the first playthrough, because i've played it so much it doesn't take anywhere near of long, but yeah. Also KOTOR2 will being just as long as the first when the restoration project is done (though that's a whole other topic).

isay

Apr 15, 2009
Grand Theft Auto technically ends when you want it to in terms of messing around in the sandbox environment by yourself.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
Bioshock or Mass Effect both have long campaigns. The sort of thing that I really let myself immerse into.

NoriYuki Sato

May 26, 2009
pretty much any open ended RPG..Mass Effect, Fallout 3, Oblivion, Morrowind...you know..free roams...so much backstory and side story to add in to the main story, it's virtually endless

...true story

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
Baldur's Gate, definitely. The whole series if you see it as one giant game (which I sort of do). I kid you not when it took me four months of playing Baldur's Gate and nothing else to complete it, and I finished Baldur's Gate II after three months of playing it. It took me more than half a year to finish those games.

And then, after all that, you've got BGII's expansion pack, Throne of Bhaal, to play through. It's an absurdly long series.

Archaeology Hat

Nov 6, 2007
Morrowind. I finished the main quest after very aproximatly 60 hours gameplay. I still am nowhere near a 100% compelete. But then I play very much with a "hey... what's that over there, I'll go see" attitude in free roamers and Morrowind is a rare example of a game that rewards this.

Curtmiester

Jan 13, 2009
Sadly I'm almost sure it's a pokemon game. I look at the time keeper thing and it said 80 hours...

Chaosut

Apr 8, 2009
Vrex360 said:
Bioshock or Mass Effect both have long campaigns. The sort of thing that I really let myself immerse into.
Yeah, mass effect was quite a long game, especially when doing all the extra missions. I think i may have to respectively disagree with you about bioshock, just imo i thought it wasn't particularly long, though not short either.

varulfic

Jul 12, 2008
Gotta be one of the elder scrolls, right? You can pour hundreds of hours into those games and still only discover half of it. Not to mention user made content.

I'm an Oblivion man myself, mostly because I own it, and when I played Morrorwind there was some bugs that made the game unplayable (though I guess I still consider it the superior game in theory). I've got over 70 hours of gameplay with my character. I've completed the main quest, a bunch of sub quests and the Mage Guild questlines, I still have all the other guilds and two expansion packs to get through. I don't play it that often, but every month or so I get a hankering, and then I play all day for like a week. Once you start playing, you're garanteed to lose atleast three hours.

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
All of them. It depnds how long you spend doing side missions and experimenting with the game mechanics.

NoriYuki Sato

May 26, 2009
Archaeology Hat said:
Morrowind. I finished the main quest after very aproximatly 60 hours gameplay. I still am nowhere near a 100% compelete.
yeah, some ppl log under 7 minutes, some over 300 hours for the end of the main quest..i was one of the 150 hours ppl myself..same with Oblivion

Ultress

Volcano Girl
Feb 5, 2009
Probely any Tales game. All filled with a longer narritive and plenty of sidequest for complesininsts.

October Country

Dec 21, 2008
I don't really play RPG's so the longest game I played was Okami, which took me around 40 hours to complete, but I thought that it felt a bit dragged out in the end.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Anachronism said:
Baldur's Gate, definitely. The whole series if you see it as one giant game (which I sort of do). I kid you not when it took me four months of playing Baldur's Gate and nothing else to complete it, and I finished Baldur's Gate II after three months of playing it. It took me more than half a year to finish those games.

And then, after all that, you've got BGII's expansion pack, Throne of Bhaal, to play through. It's an absurdly long series.
This.
The BG Series is freaking long. And not 'freaking long' in the 'Now I have to go run around the wilderness to kill things to raise my level enough to defeat the next boss' type of long. It's the 'Plenty of quests and places to explore and things to do to keep me busy' type of long.

Favourite RPG ever.
Favourite game series ever.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
Chaosut said:
Vrex360 said:
Yeah, mass effect was quite a long game, especially when doing all the extra missions. I think i may have to respectively disagree with you about bioshock, just imo i thought it wasn't particularly long, though not short either.
With Mass Effect I confess I sort of pretended it was an episodic sci fi show, so I decided which characters lived (all of them except Kaiden) and all that. I made sure every character got proper air time. It was fun.
I reccomend playing Mass Effect like it's a movie/tv series. It becomes so much more unique then.

Also I think Bioshock was long to me because of how long I spent exploring.

dungeonmaster

Apr 30, 2008
I finally played Halflife 2 last month, and I was obsessed with it for two days straight.
I was amazed at how it never ended! I never had the patience to play through Bioshock or Mass Effect cause I thought they both sucked. But Halflife 2 kept me more then entertained, and it was a truly epic experience. And the last stage was amazing too.

Im sad that most games arent as polished as this, and unlike any of the Halo games it couldnt be completed in a few hours. I slept ate and breathed Halflife 2 for 2 days.

olicon

May 8, 2008
Heh..I have a propensity to draw out games very greatly, due to my love of excessive grinding and getting lost.
Star Ocean 2 took me well into 80 hours, and I only got through half the game when my PS1 finally gave out. Not a surprise, considering I spent well over 300 hours on it playing Gran Turismo.
My history with Gran Turismo runs long and deep. I went through 4 copies of GT2 campaign discs, and 2 copies of arcade discs, no to mention 2 copies of GT3. Considering how long each CD ROM actually lasts, that's a surprising number of hours wasted on 1 series.

Most FF and other jRPGs takes me about 60 hours to beat on my first play through without side quests. With side quests, it usually approaches 120 hours, unless I use faqs..in which case it drops to about 100 hours. FF7 and 9 are my ultimate woe--I lost my safe early in the game's story in FF7 (right before escaping from Midgar) after weeks of mad grinding--I was level 30 before the real game even begins. So I got to do that twice..then I got lost on the way to Juno, leveled up until I can kill those crazy snow snakes (level 50-ish), etc etc. Overall, FF7 (the main one) eats up well over 150 hours of my life, not to mention the spin-offs.
FF9--I wreaked disc 2, bought another set, which turns out to not work with the last save (I think it was EU instead of US version like my first copy), so I got to start over again. Then my PS died, killing it (along with my SO2 file). I started up again on an emulator on PC and took another 20 or so hours before I gave up because I hate playing on keyboard.

My most memorable though has to be Suikoden. Reaching level 99 where the soft cap is 60 is by no means an easy feat.

Chaosut

Apr 8, 2009
Vrex360 said:
Chaosut said:
Vrex360 said:
With Mass Effect I confess I sort of pretended it was an episodic sci fi show, so I decided which characters lived (all of them except Kaiden) and all that. I made sure every character got proper air time. It was fun.
I reccomend playing Mass Effect like it's a movie/tv series. It becomes so much more unique then.

Also I think Bioshock was long to me because of how long I spent exploring.
Awesome idea, i never really thought bout it like that when i played Mass Effect. Tempts me to go back for a replay. I suppose i didn't explore bioshock that much, i guess the game felt sorta linear so i didn't really bother (not to put down bioshock because it's a great game).