Look Out Rebels and Imperials, X-Wing Miniatures Has A Third Faction

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Look Out Rebels and Imperials, X-Wing Miniatures Has A Third Faction

At Star Wars [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/gen%20con%202014] universe. In addition to new unique ships, scum and villains will gain unique new type of upgrade: Illegal technology. The villains will be primarily introduced by the Most Wanted expansion pack, which will include a few ships and cards for past ships giving them all manner of new abilities themed to the scummy, evil pilots now inhabiting them. The various scum ships are slated to show up alongside the rest of X-Wing Wave VI in Quarter 4 of 2014.

Alongside existing ships, the scum will be able to claim a few new ships as entirely their own. The StarViper will be a quick, vicious attack ship with powerful maneuverability at a premium price. The M3-A interceptor will be a blisteringly fast and cheap attack platform. The IG-2000 will introduce robot bounty hunter cum assassin droid IG-88 to the game, and will be both very expensive in points and very deadly, possessing a unique maneuver only a few pilots can pull off to date. Further, as a droid ship, the IG-2000 will be able to network with other ships of its type to share information and pilot skills. As you might expect, the previous Firespray-31 expansion that added Boba Fett's Slave-I can be fielded by the scum as well as its previous exclusive masters, the Imperials. No word yet on whether any of the scum ships will show up in other lists.

[gallery=3038]

It's unlikely that this will be the last we hear out of Fantasy Flight for X-Wing Miniatures, as it's their most successful game ever. "We see both seven year old kids and hardcore competitive players on this game," said Steve Horvath, a Senior Vice President at Fantasy Flight, "so that's when we knew we had a hit on our hands. We love this game."

You can check out more info on their official announcement page. [http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4998]

Curious about X-Wing Miniatures? You can read our official review here. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/tabletop/reviews/11402-X-Wing-Miniatures-Game-Review-Precision-Planning-and-Pure-Luck]

If you like Star Wars and spaceships, Fantasy Flight was also showing off the larger scale game Star Wars: Armada at Gen Con. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136927-Star-Wars-Armada-From-Fantasy-Flight-Games-Gen-Con-2014-Preview]

Defective_Detective

Jul 26, 2010
I suppose it was inevitable after the miniatures games gathered steam. Though there will doubtlessly be some balancing problems, at least initially. Considering the game was balanced from the start on the basis of two mechanically distinct factions, a third one will have to find some niches of it's own, or face the issue of ham-handedly bogarting ships from both existing factions.

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Defective_Detective said:
or face the issue of ham-handedly bogarting ships from both existing factions.
Yuuuup, this is my worry. I guess we'll see when we get our hands on it. The scum's faction theme of "Fast ships only, deadly weapons, low direct toughness, low numbers" feels sort of similar to how a lot of people are playing Imperials right now.

Lil_Rimmy

Mar 19, 2011
JonB said:
robot bounty hunter cum assassin
Erm, well then. That's a... err... certain way to assassinate someone.

OT: So kind of like that expansion to Empire at War? That was a fun game, I gotta play that again.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
spartandude said:
So Forces of Corruption expansion from Empire at War? I am totally onboard for that!
Im glad I was not the only one thinking hey that looks like the Empire at War's 3rd faction.

If I played I think I would still play as The Empire

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
JonB said:
or face the issue of ham-handedly bogarting ships from both existing factions.
Yuuuup, this is my worry. I guess we'll see when we get our hands on it. The scum's faction theme of "Fast ships only, deadly weapons, low direct toughness, low numbers" feels sort of similar to how a lot of people are playing Imperials right now.
Even so, I'd still totally buy these if for no other reason than the models are absolutely beautiful. And the imperials still have options for high-numbers swarming and low-numbers high-toughness lists, the latter even more so with the upcoming decimator, so scum can fit in well I think as the go-to "low toughness, low numbers, deadly weapons, high maneuverability" faction. Of course, there's no telling precisely how it will play out once we get our hands on the actual ships and they add more scum ships and scum pilots.

But, as I said, the models alone are more than enough to make me buy these beautiful, beautiful toys.

Lur-King

Sep 22, 2012
spartandude said:
So Forces of Corruption expansion from Empire at War? I am totally onboard for that!
Oh gosh, someone who knows the sacred game. Just when all lore had be struck from memory, the grand civilization was reborn.

Yeah, I'm suddenly interested in this.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Add me in as another fan of them adding the Zann Consortium.

But seriously, stupid mass driver things that ignored shields, OP!

Oh, wait, the Empire got their SSD that took up the entire fucking screen... And now I'm going to have to go play it again.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Some deranged part of me hoped for reavers when I read the title. Ah well. Back to the firefly board game with me!

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
CorrectAndDone said:
So let me get this straight. In spite of being stricken from canon they're still adding Expanded Universe vehicles.

Awesome.
That's not terribly surprising. Lucas wasn't averse to cherry picking from EU material when it suited him, so why wouldn't Disney allow the trend to continue?

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
JaceArveduin said:
Add me in as another fan of them adding the Zann Consortium.

But seriously, stupid mass driver things that ignored shields, OP!

Oh, wait, the Empire got their SSD that took up the entire fucking screen... And now I'm going to have to go play it again.
That moment in the last mission where they announced the Super Star Destroyer was jumping in.... shit got turned up to eleven!

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Oh my God, they're adding Outrider, Dash Rendar's ship from Shadows of the Empire! I may buy that just to have it on my desk.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Loving those miniatures but the Escapist as of recently is starting to feel more about Tabletop than it is other games, my front page is full of more tabletop.

Defective_Detective

Jul 26, 2010
Shadow-Phoenix said:
Loving those miniatures but the Escapist as of recently is starting to feel more about Tabletop than it is other games, my front page is full of more tabletop.

This may or may not be related to the fact that Gencon has been happening. Where there is tabletop news aplenty to be had.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Shadow-Phoenix said:

This may or may not be related to the fact that Gencon has been happening. Where there is tabletop news aplenty to be had.
Ah that might explain why the influx is happening, cheers for the info btw, I'm just not used to seeing so much tabletop news is all, it;s not really my thing although I do love the models each one brings.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I get the criminals, hutts, and criminal hutts. But bounty hunters? We don't need that scum!

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
Is that a Z-95 Headhunter? I think that's a Z-95 Headhunter.
Can't be, Z-95's don't exist any more, must just be an x-wing with s-foils locked.