Looking for a good RTS game

Burld

Feb 9, 2008
Manta173 said:
I'm a die hard fan of Age of Empires 2 but definitely with the expansion... they made it too busy with AOE3 and age of mythology just doesn't allow for large armies. Red alert 2 is also good. Don't know why no one has made games with similar mechanics... warcraft 3 ruined it with the stupid hero units... campaign is fun but against the bots or other players its just no fun with those powerhouses walking around.
FANBOY DEFENSE MODE!
You do know that you have those walking powerhouses too?
I think the best thing about hero units is that from what I've seen, in other RTS games you build your base and your units, and then attack the other guys. It always works like that and the environment itself doesn't feel too important. In WC3 you have creeps that you feel you must kill in order to improve your hero units, and so the battle is less 2-sided and the entire map is used. It also means that you fight pretty much as soon as you have more than one unit, so there's more to do.

nightfish

Nov 7, 2007
Burld said:
Manta173 said:
I'm a die hard fan of Age of Empires 2 but definitely with the expansion... they made it too busy with AOE3 and age of mythology just doesn't allow for large armies. Red alert 2 is also good. Don't know why no one has made games with similar mechanics... warcraft 3 ruined it with the stupid hero units... campaign is fun but against the bots or other players its just no fun with those powerhouses walking around.
FANBOY DEFENSE MODE!
You do know that you have those walking powerhouses too?
I think the best thing about hero units is that from what I've seen, in other RTS games you build your base and your units, and then attack the other guys. It always works like that and the environment itself doesn't feel too important. In WC3 you have creeps that you feel you must kill in order to improve your hero units, and so the battle is less 2-sided and the entire map is used. It also means that you fight pretty much as soon as you have more than one unit, so there's more to do.
He has a point to be honest. Warcraft 3 was ruined by the heroes - not so much in singleplayer but definitely in multiplayer.

Trust Blizzard to create another type of rush. Couldn't just give us the Zerg rush could they.

Burld

Feb 9, 2008
nightfish said:
Trust Blizzard to create another type of rush. Couldn't just give us the Zerg rush could they.
A hero rush? There is a 3 hero limit right? Have I been missing out on some kind of strategy?

Darksea

May 14, 2008
Ummm for my opinion as a Long time fanboy of RTS and for the past several years
hooked on DoW.

SS is probably the best Expansion so far. Although Vanilla Dawn of war is by far
the best DoW, SS isn't too far off. The game is challenging and fast paced its
Resource system is by far the best and closest to Ground control where the more
area u control (Control points) u gain more resources. Its an RTS with a slight
arcadey feel that SC and RA used to give u.

IF ur not into the arcade gamestyle DoW has try CoH its very similar but its fucking wicked graphics and looks amazing.

Nimic

Apr 23, 2008
If you want some good "classics", I'd go with Rise of Nations and Empire Earth (only the first, mind). Oh, and if you're looking for grand strategy, Europa Universalis 3, Europa Universalis: Rome, Hearts of Iron 2, etc. Basically any Paradox game. Just remember to get the patches, it's VITALLY important when dealing with Paradox games.

Ultrajoe

Omnichairman
Apr 24, 2008
tooktook said:
twilight_dweller said:
StarCraft.

Every other RTS pales in comparison.
100% true. It is a must play game if you can handle the dated graphics.
i disagree, three races with similar pacing styles? say what you like about different units and so forth, but damn is that game predictable, plus the unholy amount of 'turtle-ability' some maps have is crazy

great game no doubt, possibly the best ever in a generational context, but we have gone past what star-craft was as a game.