Looking For a High-End GPU? Might Wanna Hold Off a Spell

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Whoa.

I’m good for now, but will consider a smaller form of this down the line.
Pffft, good luck affording it, I get the feeling that Nvidia's gonna jack prices up again with this new generation, just like they did with the 2000's.

If AMD gets a line of cards out with the 2000's series raytracing support and power at 1/2-2/3rds the price, that's the winner there, it requires multiple 4k monitors running the latest and greatest maxed out to even make those chug. I'm never gonna have the money or the inclination to set up that kind of rig.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
I am not quite familiar with how pc parts market works, but why does it always seem like whenever the details of a new part get released, the parts always seems to be an overkill?

Like, Just by the name alone, RTX 3080Ti sounds like it's designed for games coming out in 2025. Aren't the 2000 series already powerful enough?

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Not for the enthusiasts. They've got to get as many FPS out of their games as is possible.

The one description I’ve heard about the difference between console gaming and PC gaming that stuck is that console gaming is something you have, whereas PC gaming is something you chase. Of course, some PC gamers are content with their current setup and can refrain from upgrading unless something physically or practically calls for it. But, the temptation is always there. It can be fun, but how worthwhile the investment is will vary from person to person. Obviously there is a market for it, and if money is no object it can be a hell of a fun hobby.

Aegix Drakan

♪ Megalovania is a genre ♪
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Canada
Country
Canada
Is that...Really necessary?

Like, speaking as a PC gamer, I am more than happy with my RTX 2060, honestly.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
I am not quite familiar with how pc parts market works, but why does it always seem like whenever the details of a new part get released, the parts always seems to be an overkill?

Like, Just by the name alone, RTX 3080Ti sounds like it's designed for games coming out in 2025. Aren't the 2000 series already powerful enough?

I forget which of the myriad similary named cards it was, but I remember a tech article pointing out that the announcement largely revolved around it having some tech that when they analyzed every (major) game currently out or announced for the next 3 years, they found literally one that was going to even have it as an option.

Then resolutions at this point are already beyond what an actual human eye can perceive in scientific tests and have been for awhile now (which means the thing stopping your photorealism is just the artistic side), and I'd guess framerates are in a similar boat or fast approaching such.

DeliveryGodNoah

Legacy
Apr 26, 2020
Country
United States
I usually wait to upgrade every other generation.

I'm still happy with my 1080ti. The top of the line is usually really expensive at the start, but it's cheaper down the line compared to upgrading a mid-tier card every generation just to keep up with the games coming out.

So unless there's some kind of monetary roadblock coming my way, I'll probably pick up a 3000 series card and hand down the 1080ti to my younger brother.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Actually, yes, I have been to upgrade my GPU somewhere later this year. Buuuut, a lot will depend on Nvidia's pricing. If AMD's new offerings are better value, well...

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Is that...Really necessary?

Like, speaking as a PC gamer, I am more than happy with my RTX 2060, honestly.
Is the RTX 2060 really necessary? I'm still happy with my GTX 1070 lol. But the message Nvidia appears to be sending here is Go big or go home. Thrown down, the gauntlet has been.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA

Back around 2009 I built a PC with the goal of being able to play Crysis optimally. I did so easily and, disappointed, thought I'd overdone it. Actually, when things go well, games become more demanding while monitors become more capable. So, buying a monster card gives you some future proofing. As it is, my best card right now is an RX 480 8 Gig. Good enough for 1080P 60 FPS on most games. I hope it lasts me about 3 more years. After that, I'm told to get a new monitor running at 144 hz.

Course, were money no object? I'd be all over this 3080. Wonder if I can do it in SLI?!?! :) With 4 of 'em!

Is the RTX 2060 really necessary? I'm still happy with my GTX 1070 lol. But the message Nvidia appears to be sending here is Go big or go home. Thrown down, the gauntlet has been.
Depends on how nuts your are. Your 1070 stomps all over my 480. But I've seen crazy setups with multiple 4K monitors that all have to be driven by a hypothetical graphics card... from space. At 1080p 60 fps, yeah, your card should be fantastic.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Back around 2009 I built a PC with the goal of being able to play Crysis optimally. I did so easily and, disappointed, thought I'd overdone it. Actually, when things go well, games become more demanding while monitors become more capable. So, buying a monster card gives you some future proofing. As it is, my best card right now is an RX 480 8 Gig. Good enough for 1080P 60 FPS on most games. I hope it lasts me about 3 more years. After that, I'm told to get a new monitor running at 144 hz.

Course, were money no object? I'd be all over this 3080. Wonder if I can do it in SLI?!?! :) With 4 of 'em!

Depends on how nuts your are. Your 1070 stomps all over my 480. But I've seen crazy setups with multiple 4K monitors that all have to be driven by a hypothetical graphics card... from space. At 1080p 60 fps, yeah, your card should be fantastic.
I’m not even running 4K either so should be able to stretch it out quite a while yet. I’d love to see what that 3080 card can do but I also get kinda attached to my setup, and hate to think of any components as disposable.

Reactions: gorfias

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I'm still on a GTX 1070 - which is not a card to sneeze at - so I would like to upgrade but I'm long past chasing the dragon on this sort of shit. I mean, I'd need to upgrade my whole system really since I'm on a 4th Gen i7 and that's where the bottlenecks are gonna be if I get a 2000 series card. With any luck the 3000 series coming out will help price the RTX2070 down a bit and I can snap one of them up.

ewhac

Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
Sep 2, 2009
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
I've got a GTX-1070Ti in my box, because I can't see paying more than USD$500 for a GPU. NVIDIA's flagship GPUs are costing as much as whole PCs did just three years ago. Frankly, I don't see how it's sustainable.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
I've got a GTX-1070Ti in my box, because I can't see paying more than USD$500 for a GPU. NVIDIA's flagship GPUs are costing as much as whole PCs did just three years ago. Frankly, I don't see how it's sustainable.
Eh, it's not, Nvidia were just price-gouging by flashing their ray-tracing tech in the 2000s series to screw as much money as they could out of the graphics fetishists while the industry took a couple of years for the tech to actually be widely adopted. If they try to pull that shit again with the 3000s, AMD are gonna undercut them hard, and Nvidia's gonna deserve it.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Eh, it's not, Nvidia were just price-gouging by flashing their ray-tracing tech in the 2000s series to screw as much money as they could out of the graphics fetishists while the industry took a couple of years for the tech to actually be widely adopted. If they try to pull that shit again with the 3000s, AMD are gonna undercut them hard, and Nvidia's gonna deserve it.
There was also the crypto-currency boom that drove up prices for a while.