Looking for horror novels set in a fantasy world

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
So I've got an odd itch I wish to scratch. Basically I want a horror story set in a standard medieval fantasy world. Low or high fantasy doesn't bother me and if setting is weird in some creative ways, like Planescape for instance, then that's even better. My Google searches for this largely pull up works that are heavy in supernatural elements, but set in what is meant to be our world.

For clarity's sake I'm not currently interested in an epic-scale quest or political story with some horror elements in there. The primary genre needs to be horror, just in a fantasy setting. Think if Lovecraft, or Stephen King's or *insert horror author here*'s stories were set in Middle-Earth and you're on the right track!

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Games Workshop/Black Library has a few Warhammer books that lent that way.

Steven Savile's vampire stuff was mostly random horror scenes stuck together for little reason. Brian Craig's stuff were Lovecrafty in theme, though not so much in style.

MLionheart

May 21, 2011
Forest Kingdom Saga is good. Heads up though, the first book Blue Moon Rising starts out like an affectionate parody of the fantasy genre, then it just kinda switches gear half way through.

Simon R. Green is the author. I'd also recommend "Hawk and Fisher" series about Husband/Wife city guard duo in a fantasy setting. I recommend it because they become the protagonists of book four Forest Kingdom Saga, so it's kinda important.
Hawk and Fisher does have some horror in it though. Just make sure, if you choose not to skip them, to read them in between books 1 and 4 of Forest Kingdom Saga.

Note: Books 4 & 5 of the Forest Kingdom Saga may be put down as books 7 & 8 of Hawke and Fisher

Graphic Audio have done all of them, so if your into radio drama like things over actual reading, there's that.

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
Perdido Street Station by China Mieville. I'm currently reading it and while at first it seemed just Steampunk, it gets much weirder. It isn't primarily horror though, despite some very creepy stuff going on.