Looking for smaller great games likes of xbla/psn

asdfen

Oct 27, 2011
I am trying to find something to play as current games released at holiday season of 2014 left a huge gap of free time and have so far discovered a few titles that I've never heard of that proved to be good to great.

so far I've got thanks to all the input! Keep em coming if there is still something great out there (please do not list AAA/big games released as downloadables and old games from previous platforms just smaller original titles)

Afterburner Climax
Aquaria
Ascendant
Bad Catapiller
Bastion (good)
Binding of Isaac Rebirth (a bit offensive for my taste but it has something)
Braid (good)
Call of Juarez: Gun Slinger
Castle Crashers (coop)
Castlevania Harmony of Despair (awesome)
Chaos Code
Crimson Clover
Dragon's Crown (awesome)
Dust An Elysian Tail (awesome)
Faster than Light (awesome)
Gaucamelee (looking forward to it)
Geometry wars
Giana Sisters Twisted Dreams (awesome)
Guardian Heroes
Gunhound EX
Guwange
Hard Corps Uprising: Contra (personally way too hard)
Hotline: Miami (couldnt get into it but will try again)
Journey (personally didnt like it as there was no gameplay in this "game")
Lara Croft Guardian of Light (coop)
LIMBO (awesome)
Magicka (coop)
Mark of Ninja (awesome)
Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes (awesome)
Nin2Jump
Oath in Felghana
Orcs Must Die (good)
OutLand (looking forward to it)
Pac Man DX+
Plants vs Zombies (awesome)
Protect me Knight
Recttear
Revolver 360
Score Rush
Shadow Complex (awesome)
Shoot 1 up
Skulls of Shogun (awesome)
Soldner X2
Splosion Man (awesome)
State of Decay (epic game)
Strania
Strider (personally meh)
Super Meat Boy (good)
The Dishwasher: Dead Samurai (awesome)
They Bleed Pixels
Tokyo Jungle (awesome)
Torchlight (good)
TowerFall (multiplayer)
Transistor (looking forward to it)
Trials HD (awesome)
Trine 1/2 (good)
Trouble Witches Neo!
Twisted Shadow Planet
Valdis Story
Virtual On HD
Xotic
Ys: Origin (looking forward to it)

Is there anything else addicting that you can recommend to play?

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Addicting? Binding of Isaac Rebirth for sure. It's on PS4, Vita and PC (it's actually on sale right now on Steam for $10) and is very addictive. Each play of the game only lasts generally half an hour to an hour, but if it gets it's hooks in you, you'll want to keep doing run after run after run.

The only people I wouldn't recommend it to are those who find body related humour gross or those who get easily offended by (anti-)religious humour.

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
I guess my recommendations would be for PSN would be:

Beyond Good and Evil HD - HD re-release of the classic Ubisoft game
Super Stardust HD - A very addictive bullet hell game that may have a sequel as well (don't remember)
Outland - One of the most beautiful platformers I've ever seen. I have also never beaten it because it gets pretty damn hard. I want to though because the games art style and music reminds me of Ilos from Mass Effect 1.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I'm not sure about addicting (though the sheer amount of unique set pieces should guarantee it), but LIMBO is a fantastic game originally released on XBLA in 2010, and it's now on Xbox One and PC (not sure about PSN and whether it's on both PS3 and PS4). It's a must buy with an excellent atmosphere, great sound design, good storytelling through gameplay, great puzzles and a shockingly panic-worthy opener involving a spider which I won't spoil and neither should anybody reading this.

Dansen

Master Lurker
Mar 24, 2010
Castle Crashers is always good for a laugh when you have a buddy around.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
If you liked Bastion, you could always get Transistor. It is by the same company, but this time it is set in a cyberpunk city and has a very interesting hybrid of turn based and real time combat. It also has another killer soundtrack. It is only on PS4 and PC though.

Hotline: Miami. It is a top down twin stick shooter where you have to clear buildings full of thugs, but both you and your enemies can only get hit once. It gets really interesting, and also really infuriating when firearms get introduced. A really fun game to play, and once again, has a really killer soundtrack. This can only be found on PC and PS3/4/Vita.

I have also heard really good things about Journey. I can't say what it is because I have never played it, but I am kinda just throwing around suggestions here. This, once again, is only on the PS3/4.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Gaucamelee! is definitely worth looking at. It's about fighting Dias de los Muertos skeletons as a luchador and has some crazy platforming involving your growing wrestling move set and World of the Dead dimension swapping. It also has the catchiest boss theme. I've played though it 3 times in the 2 months I've had it and plan on a speed run soon.

CannibalCorpses

Aug 21, 2011
Trials HD...2d trials bike time challenge game. I recommend the first one over the newer ones with running issues.
Geometry wars...they are all good arcade shooters with some brutal challenges.
Orcs must die...fantastic 3d action/tower defence (the sequel is a bit shit)

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
I'm not sure if these are on console but my recommendations are Ys: Origin and Transistor. Two really good little games, Transistor in particular (still probably the best game I've played from 2014).

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
If you have any desire for couch multiplayer then I found TowerFall surprisingly good. It has actually replaced COD in my group of friends as far as competitive multiplayer is concerned.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
Magicka (2?) if you've got a buddy to play with, solo is not nearly as fun.

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
These are some of my fave XBLA games

Dayatona USA
Virtual On HD (set controls to twinstick + Analog buttons to shoot / Shoulder Buttons to slide, this mimics the arcade controls but will take some practice to get used to, once you do the game is bliss.
Hard Corps Uprising: Contra hard arcade mode with a much easier casual mode, buy the Sakyuki DLC to turn the game into Strider.
Doom 1 & 2 no vertical aiming makes playing with a pad much more faster and accurate.
Pac Man DX+ (very addictive)
OutLand
Dust An Elysian Tail
Metal Slug XX (port Metal Slug 7)
Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes (I have the PC/DS versions but it's worth a mention)
Strania (XBLA exclusive) made by key figures who worked on Raidient Silvergun and Ikaruga, very unlikely to see a port
Guardian Heroes
Guwange
Afterburner Climax
Nin2Jump
Call of Juarez: Gun Slinger (also on PC)
Trouble Witches Neo!

XBLIG
Score Rush
Shoot 1 up
Revolver 360
Protect me Knight
Bad Catapiller

also
Strider is very similar to Shadow complex FYI

PC
Crimson Clover + Gunhound EX are cheap atm
Xotic (also on XBLA)
Recttear
Valdis Story
Aquaria

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
If you like MetroidVania type of games, I highly recommend Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet.
For platforming with a H.P. Lovecraftian vibe, I highly recommend They Bleed Pixels.

Both are personal favorites of my.

47_Ronin

Jul 30, 2012
I keep coming back to 'Faster than Light'. It's super addicting but also severely frustrating at times. Since someone mentioned 'The Binding of Isaac', I thought I'd add another rouge-like.

Morgoth780

Aug 6, 2014
Ascendant is another good rogue like. Only game I know of with an aztec/inca/Mayan theme (don't remember which)

baddude1337

Taffer
Jun 9, 2010
If you like Xcom, there's a Ghostbusters style strategy game called Ghost Control Inc on Steam. It's a fun little game that plays like old Xcom.

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
Stacking is a whole lot of fun and it's got quite a few laughs to boot. It's one of the most original games I've played in a real long time.

Scarecrow1001

Jun 27, 2011
Red Dead Redemption GOTY
Still one of the best games ever. Like, flat out, honestly, amazing.
Ratchet and Clank HD remakes too, still fantastic games.
Assassin's Creed 2, another modern masterpiece.

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
Chaos Code is a shockingly fun fighter, despite being super animu.

Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon is down to a low price now, and it's great fun.

Soldner X2 is a pretty fun shmup with some interesting features.

If you liked Ys Origins, I'd recommend you play at least Oath in Felghana as well.

I'd also recommend checking out a lot of the old PS1/2 games and arcade ports on PSN. Galaxy Fight, Chronicles of Mystara, Outlaws of the Lost Dynasty, Shienryu, Capcom Fighting Evolution, Shinobi, etc.

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
BTW Afterburner Climax on XBLA/PSN is getting delisted very soon due to licensing of the planes running out

Lumines is also on XBLA/PC if you don't already own it on PSP/Vita, it's my fave connect 3 puzzler