Looking for some good horror anime

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
So my girlfriend is going away for the weekened , so i'ma roll up a joint and scare myself shitless with some horror themed anime . I ask that it not be an ongoing anime and that it have and definate ending ( not like a season 2 that has never been released) . Other than that anything goes , it could be psychological and/or gory , i don't mind .

The only animes i have seen that could be considered horror ( by a stretch ) are death note and elfen lied .

Thank you in advance.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Try out Higurashi no naku koro ni (Higurashi when they cry).
It may be a bit confusing, but it's good.

Other than that, I can't think of any horror anime at the moment.
Well...
There's always High School Of The Dead.

[sub]Silly anime. That's not how shirts work.[/sub]​

You might find this helpful though.
http://myanimelist.net/anime.php?q=&type=0&score=0&status=0&tag=&p=0&r=0&sm=0&sd=0&sy=0&em=0&ed=0&ey=0&c[0]=a&c[1]=b&c[2]=c&gx=0&genre[0]=14&o=3&w=1
It's a list of all the anime with the tag 'horror' on My anime list.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Monster is the closest thing I can suggest. It is about a serial killer. A rather creepy serial killer. A seriously messed up serial killer. In fact, just look at the title. It is not hardcore horror, as in scare you all the time, but a subtle psychological one that drills into the minds of the characters. And then kills them. People will die in the anime, you have been warned.

Actually, when I watched it I felt the pacing was a bit slow at times but then something would happen to keep my attention. What I'm saying is that it is possible to find it boring. However, one of the things that kept me watching was the excellent historical detail. The anime is set in the 1980's time-wise and in Germany and the Czech Republic geography-wise.

Smertnik

Apr 5, 2010
Horror, huh? Hmm... ... ... Hellsing? I actually can't think of anything beside Higurashi.
I guess you could regard Kemonozume as horror, kinda. It's about a monster hunter who falls in love with a demon.
<youtube=08Cqhu_BRPc>

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
krazykidd said:
So my girlfriend is going away for the weekened , so i'ma roll up a joint and scare myself shitless with some horror themed anime . I ask that it not be an ongoing anime and that it have and definate ending ( not like a season 2 that has never been released) . Other than that anything goes , it could be psychological and/or gory , i don't mind .

The only animes i have seen that could be considered horror ( by a stretch ) are death note and elfen lied .

Thank you in advance.
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (although you probbly heard of it before and know if its good or not)
Kakurenbo: Hide & Seek (less known one still dam good)-only a 30 min movie though

Edit:
Demon Prince Enma- 4 episode OVA

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
I'd say... Boogiepop Phantom, Paranoia Agent (though that's more psychological thriller), Another is quite gory, though still ongoing. Mouryou no Hako was pretty good, but that's more psychological thriller as well...

*shrug* Sorry, not one for horror anime... :/

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Satoshi Kon marathon is the only way to go. Perfect Blue and Paranoia Agent are 7 hours of unsettling imagery and psychological horror.

devilofthemist

Feb 13, 2012
while it isn't necessarily horror soul eater has a few rather cringe worthy moments and is just solid anyway

(FOOLS)

WayOutThere

Aug 1, 2009
Watch Blue Gender. The show doesn't overtly fit into the horror genre though is often quite horrific. Its main strengths are the harrowing atmosphere, intense story, and terrific relationship building. It's more of a thriller than a horror story though it's made thrilling by the horrific events that happen.

(I should probably admit I've only seen the first fifteen or so episodes)

Other good stuff with elements of horror:

Darker than Black

Now and Then Here and There

Shigofumi

Ga-Rei Zero

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
WayOutThere said:
Watch Blue Gender. The show doesn't overtly fit into the horror genre though is often quite horrific. Its main strenghts are the harrowing atmosphere, intense story, and terrific relationship building. Its more of a thriller than a horror story though it's made thrilling by the horrific events that happen.
There's also that part where

The main character is on the ground and he slowly looks and reaches up at a little girl standing there when she gets snatched up in one fell swoop by one of the vagina monsters.

The dread I felt...I felt that same dread when

Yukki was told that his mother was killed.

LadyTiamat

Aug 13, 2011
mononoke - a short but not particularly scary but unusual animation technique and great stand alone plots.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
If you want psychological horror/ thriller than I highly recommend Paranoia Agent and Perfect Blue (anime film).

Here's the trailer to Paranoia Agent

ZehMadScientist

Oct 29, 2010
Uhmmm... I've always felt that horror is a genre anime isn't too well versed in. For what it's worth though...
Jonluw said:
Try out Higurashi no naku koro ni (Higurashi when they cry).
It may be a bit confusing, but it's good.
This is the only horror anime that I really enjoyed. One scene in particular made me cringe at the sight of it. (Fuckin crazy Sonozaki's, that family is MESSED up).

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
I don't think there is good horror anime. Have watched almost all listed above, some are actually quite good, but wouldn't call any of them horror, the closest being survival-trillers. Higurashi when they cry is close enough i guess.

There is however good horror manga, Uzumaki being one of my favourites, maybe the film based on it is good? Don't know how hard to find it might be.

Edit: There is also the new Hellsing OVA, much better than the old series, but it depict madness, not horror.

Edit 2: It might also that its hard for me to get horror out of a screen, i can attune to horror boosk, mangas and videogames, not to movies or visual non inderactive stuff.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
There's the final episode of School Days. A visual novel where the love interests all have psychological problems turns and then turns downright brutal at the end. Thank the Movie Druid for making me aware of such insanity.

ZLAY

Jul 31, 2011
I would recommend the first season of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, and equally good Umineko no Naku Koro ni.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
What got me started was Chôjin densetsu Urotsukidôji - Legend of the Overfiend by Hideki Takayama. I think it aged well, seeing as there is little else that achieved its level of notoriety. It still seems somewhat improbable to obtain a proper 'uncut' and 'uncensored' version, though.

There are some horrific and monstrous elements in my all-time favourite, Ninja Scroll. It's not filed under horror, though.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Perfect Blue - This is a full-length feature, but yes, it is very disturbing. Enjoy.

Boogiepop Phantom - The creepiest anime I've seen, even if it doesn't necessarily fit directly into the horror genre. Everything from the hazy, lo-fi, ridiculously dark animation to the bizarre character stories makes it wonderfully unsettling. Although, the plot is ambiguous. The vignettes that make up the story interconnect but they don't all clearly resolve. Then again, isn't that scarier?

I thought the first season of Higurashi was pretty scary too, although when I watched it I couldn't legally buy alcohol, so I promise nothing (it's been six years since that show aired?!).

Off-topic: Overall, I wish studios would try horror more often. No, not gore. I think we've got that covered. No, not people fighting monsters, we've got that covered too. Horror. Anime has an excellent potential for this (character-focused stories, can't use jump scares, etc.), but I can't think of any studios who even bother to try. Nearly every show I see advertised as "horror" turns out to be nothing more than endless sexualized violence (hello, Elfen Lied).

I understand that if I got the appeal of that (and if it weren't so boring), it wouldn't annoy me quite so much. Still, it's depressing when that "Null Carrier" episode of Dennou Coil is creepier than your horror anime.

[sub]Or am I using the wrong definition of the word "horror"?[/sub]