Looking to buy an RTS for the first time.

sramota

Aug 1, 2009
Wait for the next Command & Conquers (4) game and start there,
with that you have the option to go play multiplay right away if it catches you.

Always start with a new modern game that atleast looks decent and then go for the "Must play" titles.
In that sense - never ever start your RPG gaming with FF7...

ribonuge

Dec 7, 2009
Void(null) said:
Starcraft is a great game, but its amazingly dated. I think its better to ease into RTS games with something a little more modern, get them hooked into the genre and then expose them to the more deep titles.
My thoughts exactly. I think I would prefer to wait for Starcraft 2 if anything.

Just to add to my original post, is there any fantasy RTS's out there worth giving a go?

Mad Gab

Sep 7, 2009
As far as i can tell there are four developers to look out for with current RTSs :Relic(Dawn of war, Homeworld), Blizzard(Starcraft, Warcraft), Westwood(Command and Conquer), and Total War

static119

Feb 2, 2010
Command and Conquer games are simple and fun. They tend to get boring pretty fast though.

The total war games are good, I definitely recommend Rome Total War. You can get it for like $10 on steam.

My personal favorite is World in Conflict. Amazing graphics, deep strategy, and a good single player campaign make this game awesome. I've had it for about 2 years and I still play the crap out of it.

static119

Feb 2, 2010
BloatedGuppy said:
All these votes for Starcraft.

I think it's a sad condemnation of the lack of innovation in a genre when its defining title was released twelve years ago.
I honestly don't know why everyone is obsessed with Starcraft. I played halfway though the first set of missions, did a bunch of skirmishes, and got zerg rushed online a few times. It was alright I suppose. Seemed a lot like all the other RTS's of the time.

There are some great newer RTS games that no one ever talks about.

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
There is a LOTR/Fantasy Mod for Medieval II: Total War, and that was really the last good Total War game before creative assembly sold their soul.

I believe its called Third Age: Total War [http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=654]

There is also a pure fantasy mod but I cant remember for the life of me what its called.

Both Dawn of War and Medieval II have great modding community, so even if you dislike the setup for the original game, there will be a full conversion mod that can use the base engine to create something you will enjoy.

Just like when you buy Half Life 2, your not just getting the game but every community made mod, and the engine is so versatile that the very talented modding community's can build their own games.

My one caution against the Total War series, is that it is absolutely not for the beginner. If you found the micro management of Sins daunting, Total War is... well. How to best put it.

Total War is not just a game, its a massive investment of time. To play a complete game of Total War could take weeks or months if you choose to handle every aspect of your Empire and fight every battle. While the basic premise behind the game is fairly easy to get, the depth and scope of the series is absolutely staggering.

Total War is really for the enthusiast who really wants something epic on every level.

Playing it as a First time RTS could have two outcomes, It will either scare you away from RTS games or you will fall in love and most other RTS games will feel shallow by comparison.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
The total war games for a first timer is like jumping in at the deep end.

C&C are good places to start, you can even get a box set of them all for really cheap.

In other words don't start with total war, start with anything else.

sharky8998

Nov 30, 2009
It's a long time since I played it but I remember Rise of Nations to be a very good RTS game. It is sort of along the lines of Age of Empires but covers a much larger time scale.

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
Rome total war, with its mods, will be your absolute best friend. I suggest you just go that route. It's a great choice.

Or go completely relic and get age of mythology+titans.

Sins of a Solar Empire is kickass. I suggest it.

UtopiaV1

Feb 8, 2009
Don't buy Company of Heroes, it is WAAAAAY too good and will skewer your perception of RTS gaming forever, where you are buying every other RTS just to get the same high you get playing CoH.

To prove it how good it looks, screenie -

Zani

May 14, 2008
UtopiaV1 said:
Don't buy Company of Heroes, it is WAAAAAY too good and will skewer your perception of RTS gaming forever, where you are buying every other RTS just to get the same high you get playing CoH.
This guy is right, wait with CoH. You should buy World in Conflict and after some time, get a Total War game, start with Rome and work your way up.

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
Dawn of War.

Easy to get into and a strong focus on action. The resource management is a lot more enjoyable than other RTS games I've played.

Fr331anc3r

Nov 6, 2008
UtopiaV1 said:
^^ This ^^

Actually, choosing an RTS is kind of an art form, each one is a little different and offers something unique. I'll go from least micro to most.

Take Company of Heroes... small groups of units and tight resources make for a game that is much heavier into macro-management and unit movements/strategy. Brutalizing online skill curve, you'll suck ass and lose almost every match for about 8 - 10 matches after you learn how to play, and then something will just click and you'll start winning a few.

Starcraft and Warcraft tend to be RPS (Rock/Paper/Scissors) so, if you see your opponent building up a lot of one unit, combat it with its counter. Hellacious online skill curve.

Warhammer Dawn of War II, good game overall, made by the same fine folks as Company of Heroes, so it has a large similarity, but the "hero" makes it different enough to take a look at. Another game with a rediculous curve in online play.

Command and Conquer has good tutorials and the units aren't entirely spammy. The learning curve can be a bit steep at times in online play though.

Rise of Nations... micro management to the extreme, even more so than Command and Conquer or Starcraft, 100's and if you want 1000's of units to command, 10's of cities, lots of upgrades and such, actually still has a decent player base and solid single player. Lots of groups to play as.

These are the true RTS's, Games like Total War are TBS/RTS which can add another layer to the game entirely. (Don't tend to make good online play)

Fr331anc3r

Nov 6, 2008
SeanthePsycho said:
Sid Meyer's Civilizations Revolution is a great game. A simple RTS to get into and its a lot of fun.
NOT AN RTS.... It's a turn based game.... therefore it's a Turn Based Strategy (TBS)