Looking to Start an Arcade? Try eBay.

Jared Rea

Aug 11, 2008
Looking to Start an Arcade? Try eBay.

A Texas arcade owner is looking to offload his business, and not for the reason you expect.

This week, US arcade enthusiasts (Bemani fans in particular) mourned the loss of one of its best game centers, Arcade Heroes [http://www.tokyogameaction.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3056] broke word of an owner putting up his business on eBay, I feared the worst. Shockingly, it's not because he can't afford it. Quite the contrary, business is actually booming. He's just looking for something new.

With a Fantasy World [http://cgi.ebay.com/Video-Redemption-Arcade-and-Party-Center-Business_W0QQitemZ180326757981QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item180326757981&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1309%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50] of Abilene, Texas can be yours to own relatively on the cheap. The owner, Doug, purchased the place in 2003, as it had been his hangout of choice in his high school years. He's run the business for six years but feels its time to go.

"I really don't want to just auction off the games and close the doors," explains Doug on his listing. "I put a lot of work in to this place. I've learned a lot about this business (enough that I'm a columnist for RePlay magazine [http://www.replaymag.com/]), but six years is a long time to do the same thing."

Boasting its best profits in its nearly six year history (the owner claims at 78% increase in January profits month-over-year), would-be owners would be picking up an appealing business (for an arcade, anyway) that is already set for operation on day one. I'd do it, as I've often dreamed of opening up one myself, but Texas just isn't my style. Here's hoping that whomever decides to take over the reigns of Fantasy World is successful as we could really do with more positive stories regarding the business.

RheynbowDash

Jan 26, 2009
wow only $760.00? if i had it to spare, i would totally bid on this, its been a dream of mine to own an arcade.

klc0100

Feb 29, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
I think if enough of us went in, we could have a joint businesss.

I'm in for $40
I can put £30 down ($50?)
Just $670 to go (ignoring all debts)

Nunka

Oct 10, 2007
Jared Rea said:
yet another powerful blow to a community of gamers who still greatly enjoy the social experiences that only arcades can still offer.
I don't think "social experiences" is the right phrase... I'd go with something more along the lines of "bragging rights," as most of the skilled arcade gamers I've run into are very antisocial, or at the very least obsessive. I know it's a blanket statement and all that, but I'd say the majority of arcade regulars aren't there for the human interaction.

But hey, someone could buy this arcade and, you know, offer tickets or something for talking to people. That's an idea.