Looking to upgrade graphic card, suggestion welcomed.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I did think about putting something in the computer but I only had bubble wrap or styrofoam and I was afraid they might damage the inside, good about the to know since in a year or two I'll need to ship it again.

The fan connector is the mounting connector to the board (the four little "feet" thing around the fan), the pin are all fine as far as I can tell. I'll pop into best buy and see if I can find a replacement for the fan, those should be pretty standard right? I need to go anyway since I found out the reason the other SSD isn't working is the cable so I need to buy a new one.

Good to know about adorama, guess I'll wait for something else to show up.

For the B550, pc part picker says it might need a Bios upgrade for ryzen 5, I'm really not sure how you'd do a Bios upgrade on a new computer without a chip in it. I don't need anything fancy for motherboard (don't need Wifi, bluetooth and won't play with overcloacking so I'm not really picking for motherboard).
It will need a BIOS upgrade for a Ryzen 5000 SERIES chip. The Ryzen 5 3600 is a 3000 series chip. It will work out of the box. I have a B550 board and my Ryzen 9 3900XT worked flawlessly.

Admittedly AMD is kind of coy with its conventions here. There are Ryzen 3, 5, 7, and 9 CPUs to represent the different performance levels, but the series of the chip is given by the XX00 name. So as before, a 3600 is 3000 series chip and will work first time no sweat. If however your chip is the 5600, you will need a bios update. And spoiler, that isn’t something you can do with the 5000 chip installed since it won’t even post with one without it.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
It will need a BIOS upgrade for a Ryzen 5000 SERIES chip. The Ryzen 5 3600 is a 3000 series chip. It will work out of the box. I have a B550 board and my Ryzen 9 3900XT worked flawlessly.

Admittedly AMD is kind of coy with its conventions here. There are Ryzen 3, 5, 7, and 9 CPUs to represent the different performance levels, but the series of the chip is given by the XX00 name. So as before, a 3600 is 3000 series chip and will work first time no sweat. If however your chip is the 5600, you will need a bios update. And spoiler, that isn’t something you can do with the 5000 chip installed since it won’t even post with one without it.
Ahhh gotcha, alright. I can't really tell what's the difference between the motherboard so I'll probably just go with w/e is cheapest with a good number of review.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Necro-ing my own post, last time I asked price were stupid high and supply were almost impossible to find, so I ended up shelving my plan for upgrade and then a bunch of stuff happened, almost two year later and its really time to upgrade, 970 is actually getting to the point where some game are unplayable. But the great recommendation I received might be outdated by this point.

Consensus seems to more or less settle on:

GPU: 3060 Ti
CPU: Ryzen 3600 (will necessitate a new motherboard but that's fine)
RAM: MOAR! I dunno whats good at this point, 4 x 8? 2 x 16?
HD: I'll probably keep my old one for storage (2 1 TB SSD, 1 2 TB HD), maybe buy one more super SSD for the game I play semi regularly and have crazy load time.

I won't go for the 4xxx series since they seem to have various issue, may not fit in my case and I don't really need that much. Intel is trying to make GPU again, are those good price (say intel is trying to break into the market and selling at cost or something?) or maybe they're back on top of the game with CPU again?

Any help appreciated.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Necro-ing my own post, last time I asked price were stupid high and supply were almost impossible to find, so I ended up shelving my plan for upgrade and then a bunch of stuff happened, almost two year later and its really time to upgrade, 970 is actually getting to the point where some game are unplayable. But the great recommendation I received might be outdated by this point.

Consensus seems to more or less settle on:

GPU: 3060 Ti
CPU: Ryzen 3600 (will necessitate a new motherboard but that's fine)
RAM: MOAR! I dunno whats good at this point, 4 x 8? 2 x 16?
HD: I'll probably keep my old one for storage (2 1 TB SSD, 1 2 TB HD), maybe buy one more super SSD for the game I play semi regularly and have crazy load time.

I won't go for the 4xxx series since they seem to have various issue, may not fit in my case and I don't really need that much. Intel is trying to make GPU again, are those good price (say intel is trying to break into the market and selling at cost or something?) or maybe they're back on top of the game with CPU again?

Any help appreciated.
I actually just bought a Radeon 6650 a couple weeks back because it's like $330 at Best Buy, the 3060 Ti according to the comparison I just clicked on only offers slightly better performance than the 6650 and at least at Best Buy is ~$150 more. Getting whatever Ryzen is the newest in your price point should be more than solid. Unless you're doing very RAM intensive stuff, 16GBs is more than enough, just don't get one stick of RAM since it's a Ryzen but that's about it. And as long as the motherboard has at least 4 RAM slots, it's easy to expand later if you want to.

Reactions: meiam