Looks like we're getting a Silverhawks reboot too.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
The Nacelle Company is reviving Silverhawks, a sort of space-themed ThunderCats from the mid-eighties.

Silverhawks was a classic animated television show developed by Rankin/Bass Productions and released in 1986. The show consisted of 65 episodes, with a concept that revolved around a team of 29th Century heroes with metal bodies and wings who were tasked to stop an organized crime ring and protect the citizens of the Galaxy of Limbo, which had been overrun by the show’s antagonist, Mon*Star. He ran a mob featuring some interesting characters, including a shapeshifter, a robotic card shark and a man with blades for arms.

The team at Rankin/Bass likely intended to turn the high-concept idea into a space-themed extension of their already-successful ThunderCats, but the show did not enjoy the success of its predecessor.

Nacelle’s announcement comes after Super7, a pop-culture design house and toymaker known for its ReAction figures, announced the release of their “SilverHawks Ultimates” line of action figures earlier this year. In January, the San Francisco-based toy maker announced the acquisition of the SilverHawks IP, looking to ride the booming collectors’ market and demand for programming and streaming options with nostalgic value.

“SilverHawks is a beloved franchise that has been overlooked for far too long,” said Brian Flynn, Founder and Owner of Super7. “We are super excited to be working with Nacelle to bring SilverHawks back into the limelight for the die-hard fans as well as a new generation of fans to experience the magic of SilverHawks for the first time.”

The enthusiasm was mutual.

“When I spoke with Brian Flynn the first time, I was like the character Yes-Man! “Yessss, just tell me where to sign!” said Brian Volk-Weiss, Founder and CEO of The Nacelle Company.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Watches trailer...

...ah yes, because you can totally use silver hawk wings to fly through space, and have your skin exposed to the vacuum of space without any reprecussions. 0_0

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I still remember one Easter when I was pretty small I was hunting through the house for my eggs and candy. I opened a drawer and found a basket of candy and this fucking space guy with a guitar. At first I was like "fuck is this?" Then I saw the show the next Saturday while eating my cacao puffs and was like "Ok that's pretty cool.". I'll watch their dumbass reboot. Nostalgia....
14449425.gif

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Watches trailer...

...ah yes, because you can totally use silver hawk wings to fly through space, and have your skin exposed to the vacuum of space without any reprecussions. 0_0
What part of "Silverhawks was a classic animated television show developed by Rankin/Bass Productions and released in 1986" eludes you? Critiquing an '80s cartoon for its lack of sense/realism is akin to criticizing a pastry shop because all of their bread is sweet.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Also, they apparently fight a villain called Mon*Star. So, you know, there's that.

Never heard of this before.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
What part of "Silverhawks was a classic animated television show developed by Rankin/Bass Productions and released in 1986" eludes you? Critiquing an '80s cartoon for its lack of sense/realism is akin to criticizing a pastry shop because all of their bread is sweet.
You...do realize that I was overanalyzing and being a smartarse, right?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I never saw the original show, but best of luck to the people behind the reboot.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Also, they apparently fight a villain called Mon*Star. So, you know, there's that.

Never heard of this before.
I remember watching it as a kid. I recall liking it, but I can't say it was a huge impact on me back then? I remember the art style reminding me of Voltron, at least in the human animations.

Totally forgot they had a cyborg cowboy with a guitar. I can't recall if he used it like a weapon, fighting with the power of music or not? But given how much of a signature item it is to his character, I'd be shocked if he didn't. I'd like to see that updated, I have a weak spot for music as a weapon stories. They are usually so over the top and silly, but I love the spirit behind them of "music is awesome, so awesome, it will LITERALLY melt the faces of his enemies!"

It's why I fell in love with an old anime, that I really need to find the rest of, I think it's called Legend of the Black Angels, or something like that? Google-fu is failing me, and I'm not at home, but it's about a guy who is now a wage slave in anime-typical Japan, living a dreary life, but when he was in his 20s, he was part of a short lived rock band, that APPARENTLY, made such blistering riffs and sick beats, that it is literally the only source of awesomeness in the universe, awesome enough, to power this big doom laser, that is the only thing protecting this space society. So they use recordings of their performances to power the laser, to hold off the giant death fleets that threaten them. Sadly it's not working as well anymore, so they need some new tunes, and fresh performances. So they have to reunite the guy with his beloved guitar, and try and "get the band back together" to rock out some new performances, to literally save the galaxy from annihilation. it's about as silly as it sounds, and I fucking love it.

Sorry, that was a tangent. Yes, space cyborgs and a robotic cowboy with a battle guitar. I recall it being relatively enjoyable.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Off topic, but I would not mind a reboot of Street Sharks. I know Captain Planet's never getting a reboot, nor would I want one. Before anyone starts, I know about the Rick and Morty episode.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Off topic, but I would not mind a reboot of Street Sharks. I know Captain Planet's never getting a reboot, nor would I want one. Before anyone starts, I know about the Rick and Morty episode.
no, Toxic Crusaders first.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Why do you think Captain Planet will never get a reboot? I mean I'm indifferent either way, as I was never a huge fan of that show given when it came out and my age. But I don't see anything fundamentally different about it, compared to everything else they are apparently rebooting. I mean, come on, Silverhawks?! That's incredibly niche, compared to Captain Planet.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
no, Toxic Crusaders first.
They're most likely be a Street Sharks reboot before a toxic crusaders. Nothing against the toxic avenger, but that movie series is way more niche Street Sharks.

Why do you think Captain Planet will never get a reboot? I mean I'm indifferent either way, as I was never a huge fan of that show given when it came out and my age. But I don't see anything fundamentally different about it, compared to everything else they are apparently rebooting. I mean, come on, Silverhawks?! That's incredibly niche, compared to Captain Planet.
I wouldn't necessarily mind a reboot either, but it's captain planet. While it did have some unique messages and many that still hold true today, there's still a big problem with this message, the power is yours. The problem with the whole it's your personal responsibility to protect the environment. The message itself is an inherently bad, but the problem is that it is based on a lie so by big corporations that still don't take responsibility for the crap they dump into the earth. They're still plenty of companies that cause huge amounts of pollution in the Earth's environment. Says to try to pull a message like that off today would come off as ignorant and insincere. Now the Environmentalist message can still work, but there have to be obvious changes.

You probably didn't know about this, but there's an episode of Okay, Let's Be Heroes the acts as a sequel to Captain Planet. Only one of the planets here is remain, the four other members left.

I normally don't do this, but I'm adding Wisecrack.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
They're most likely be a Street Sharks reboot before a toxic crusaders. Nothing against the toxic avenger, but that movie series is way more niche Street Sharks.

I wouldn't necessarily mind a reboot either, but it's captain planet. While it did have some unique messages and many that still hold true today, there's still a big problem with this message, the power is yours. The problem with the whole it's your personal responsibility to protect the environment. The message itself is an inherently bad, but the problem is that it is based on a lie so by big corporations that still don't take responsibility for the crap they dump into the earth. They're still plenty of companies that cause huge amounts of pollution in the Earth's environment. Says to try to pull a message like that off today would come off as ignorant and insincere. Now the Environmentalist message can still work, but there have to be obvious changes.

You probably didn't know about this, but there's an episode of Okay, Let's Be Heroes the acts as a sequel to Captain Planet. Only one of the planets here is remain, the four other members left.

I normally don't do this, but I'm adding Wisecrack.

Well sure the message would need to be updated for the new times, but that's how reboots work really. Given the amount of environmental activism going on today, I think a show that helps to educate kids about ways that it is a problem, and how they can try and fix it (namely by teaching them to become more proactive in their politics, and voting out shitheads that placate the companies) is probably a good thing to do. One of the biggest demographics that DOESN'T actually take part in societal actions, is the youth. So making a show that helps convince some 10 year olds now, to investigate and push for changes in legislation when they are voting age, yeah I don't see a problem with that at all.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I pretty much agree with Brawlman here on the topic of CP. "The power is yours" is all well and good, and it's not an objectionable message in of itself, but it's not a pancea for dealing with environmental problems. I've certainly made efforts over the years to reduce environmental footprint (e.g. use a car as little as possible, have meat-free days, house I live in has solar panels, etc.), but that's not a solution to systemic issues. It also doesn't help that many of the villains in CP don't resemble the actual issues at hand. Yes, Hoggish Greedly is a metaphor for overconsumption, but Duke Nukem and Doctor Blight? There aren't many people who go out of their way to harm the environment. It also doesn't help that CP used nuclear-scare tactics. For instance, it's all well and good in an episode for the team to stop a nuclear meltdown, and have Cap drill down to allow a geothermal plant to be built in its place, but in reality, you can't build a geothermal plant just anywhere.

That said, I do have fond memories of CP (almost certainly influenced me), and if a reboot was made today, I wouldn't object, but as a child's cartoon, it can only go so far with its messaging.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I pretty much agree with Brawlman here on the topic of CP. "The power is yours" is all well and good, and it's not an objectionable message in of itself, but it's not a pancea for dealing with environmental problems. I've certainly made efforts over the years to reduce environmental footprint (e.g. use a car as little as possible, have meat-free days, house I live in has solar panels, etc.), but that's not a solution to systemic issues. It also doesn't help that many of the villains in CP don't resemble the actual issues at hand. Yes, Hoggish Greedly is a metaphor for overconsumption, but Duke Nukem and Doctor Blight? There aren't many people who go out of their way to harm the environment. It also doesn't help that CP used nuclear-scare tactics. For instance, it's all well and good in an episode for the team to stop a nuclear meltdown, and have Cap drill down to allow a geothermal plant to be built in its place, but in reality, you can't build a geothermal plant just anywhere.

That said, I do have fond memories of CP (almost certainly influenced me), and if a reboot was made today, I wouldn't object, but as a child's cartoon, it can only go so far with its messaging.
Plus, there were other and better environmentalist shows, movies, or games that came afterward (or even during) that did a much better job and had more subtlety.

Last edited:

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
I'd be interested in seeing what a modern take on Street Sharks is like too. Extreme Dinosaurs as well.

I wouldn't rule out the possibility of a Captain Planet reboot either given climate change is such a hot topic now (no pun intended).