Lord Krunk Reviews: JetSet Radio Future

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
1 - The Mysterious Geographic Explorations of Jasper Morello [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.69960#676220]
2 - Harvie Krumpet [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.70751#701645]
3 - The White Chamber [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.71432#723554]
4 - WALL-E [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.71895]
5 ? The Life of D. Duck [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.72595]
LORD KRUNK REVIEWS: JetSet Radio Future

When looking through the ?Rating Avatars? game on these forums, I have come to a shocking discovery.
Most people don?t know where my avatar comes from.
In order to remedy this, I have tossed aside my review of the Star Wars: Battlefront series (temporarily) in order to write this review, to allow you to bear witness to one of my favourite console games ever.

And so, without further ado, I give you:

Now you know where my avatar comes from.

It is the year 2024, and Tokyo?s corporate superpower, Gouji Rokakku, has been elected Mayor. With his newfound power, he has bought the police force, established a business monopoly throughout the city, and built an empire dedicated to himself.
The one thing that stands in his way of complete dominance is the Rudies, a series of youth gangs on skates, leaving their marks of freedom throughout the city. In retaliation, Rokakku has commanded his police/army/air force/assassins to take them down on sight.
But the freedom fighters still survive in the Tokyo underworld, and with the help of DJ Professor K and his pirate radio network, Jet Set Radio, your gang, the GGs, strive to take down Rokakku with the most powerful weapon known to man.

Art.

JetSet Radio Future (JSRF for short) is a game like no other, where you can defy gravity, ?stick it to the man? and leave your calling card wherever you go.

Think of a lighthearted GTA, and then cross it with Tony Hawk?s Pro Skater.

Graffiti is a major element in the game, because it is the sole thing you use. Wherever you go, you will find ?tag areas,? where you spray your mark on the streets. This is generally to progress throughout the game, and make your presence known.
You can also use the collectible spray cans to give you a ?boost,? where your skates act as jet engines to propel you in the direction you are facing, which is a really handy feature when you are racing or trying to reach ?hard to reach? areas.
Graffiti is also used in rather bizarre situations, such as boss battles and the like. How do take down a wave of police? Knock them over and tag their faces, of course! How do you destroy an array of army vehicles? Tag them, of course!

Anyway, enough of my rambling.

There are many things I enjoy about JSRF. For starters, the use of Cel Shading executed brilliantly, and the animated feel really captures the spirit of the game.
(Is it really that bad that when I someone says ?Japan?, I immediately think of anime?)
The game in itself is not very realistic; the best term for the physics that I can think of is ?floaty?. Not that this is unwelcome. The fact that you can survive kilometer-long leaps of faith of skyscrapers is pretty cool, and extremely fun to do. You can get air off pretty much anything, and flying around the urban wastelands of Tokyo is truly an experience.
The story is comprised of a series of ?chapters? that begin and conclude with a news report from DJ Professor K. This is an excellent way to tell a story, especially in one where there is extremely little speech.
There is also a lot of replay value in the game, and a lot of choice. There are heaps of unlockables, such as graffiti souls (which allow you to obtain new playable characters and graffiti art); you can go on a personal vendetta on the bland, tagging the streets; you can use a special feature to create your own graffiti to put on the streets, or you can simply skate to your heart?s content.

Think I can?t wallride those billboards? Just watch me.

I have a few nitpicks with the game, however.
The soundtrack, while used well (You are listening to Jet Set Radio), is quite good, but some of the songs are just downright bad. I really wish that they had included an option to skip a song, because I would have gladly used it on several occasions.
The game also starts off pretty normally, but the further it goes, the more strange it gets. I mean, your HQ is probably the biggest and coolest (and most inefficient) garage in existence, but it's still pretty realistic. You eventually get to an industrialised area with house stacked on top of each other. Well, it's fun. Then you go to the most epic theme park since Jurassic Park, and while amazingly fun, you begin to wonder.
And finally, there is the strangest final boss level since the Meat Circus in Psychonauts.
Not that this is a bad thing, it's just a bit strange to go from one extreme to another in a single game.
Lastly, I would have to mention that the camera can be a bit evil at times, going behind walls at the worst moment.

All in all, JetSet Radio Future is a worthy Investment, and an experience that I will probably try again once I complete this review. Good luck finding it though; you might get lucky with the downloadable Xbox games off Live, but other than that, keep an eye out for it.

And now, I will leave you with the start-up screen; enjoy the irony.

This review is a little early, as I will be going on holiday some time next week. Therefore, expect a review of the Star Wars: Battlefront series on Tuesday.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
JSRF was the first game I ever played on my brand spanking new second-hand xbox. I loved it, it was incredible. I too thought the last boss/stage area was a bit...weird in comparison to the starting levels. Pretty good review for a pretty good game :)

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Amnestic post=326.73006.781292 said:
JSRF was the first game I ever played on my brand spanking new second-hand xbox. I loved it, it was incredible. I too thought the last boss/stage area was a bit...weird in comparison to the starting levels. Pretty good review for a pretty good game :)
Thanks.

Also, it was my first Xbox game as well.

Easykill

Sep 13, 2007
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that this is my favourite game, ever. Even over Morrowind. Seriously check it out, peoples.

As for the review, I can't say anything cuz I'm a fanboy and my opinion is skewed.

Reaperman Wompa

Aug 6, 2008
First game I ever bought on my xbox and still one of my favorites.

Nice review, not too long, not too short and gets across the message, but I think you were a bit off with the feel of the game.

Leodiensian

Jun 7, 2008
I loved JSRF, much better than the first game on the Dreamcast. Also the best music in a game, ever. EVER.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Reaperman Wompa post=326.73006.784083 said:
Nice review, not too long, not too short and gets across the message, but I think you were a bit off with the feel of the game.
Maybe. Just a little.

I dunno, I was trying to keep it down-to-earth, instead of the pure addictive awesomeness that this game is.

I'll keep your suggestion in mind for my future reviews.

Pseudonym2

Mar 31, 2008
I surprised you missed the obvious paradox of the game. It's hard to "stick it to the man" when you're playing a game on a MICROSOFT X-box.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Pseudonym2 said:
I surprised you missed the obvious paradox of the game. It's hard to "stick it to the man" when you're playing a game on a MICROSOFT X-box.
Interesting point, but not necessarily right.

I mean, when it comes to consoles, who isn't 'the man'?

Pseudonym2

Mar 31, 2008
Lord Krunk said:
Pseudonym2 said:
Interesting point, but not necessarily right.

I mean, when it comes to consoles, who isn't 'the man'?
My point exactly. With "the man" controlling all the counsul game media, there isn't going to be a good representation of ideas outside of sphere of consensus. It's not as bad Perfect Dark Zero. "In the future cooperations control everything..."

Azure Mirage

Feb 6, 2009
Why isn't this on the xbox live original arcade? I enjoyed this game thoroughly. I enjoyed it when my cousins would wake up and grind up skyscrapers as I watched on the mid-morning. I enjoyed it when I rediscovered it in my room and took pleasure in defeating the boss. Now I handed it off to my nephew who enjoys it with his friends. And so the classics never die, they just are recycled.

SharPhoe

The Nice-talgia Kerrick
Feb 28, 2009
Easykill said:
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that this is my favourite game, ever. Even over Morrowind. Seriously check it out, peoples.

As for the review, I can't say anything cuz I'm a fanboy and my opinion is skewed.
IT was the first full game I ever played for the XBox, so I know how you feel on that one. Definitely one of my favorite games of the last console generation.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Azure Mirage said:
Why isn't this on the xbox live original arcade?
I honestly have no idea.
SharPhoe said:
IT was the first full game I ever played for the XBox, so I know how you feel on that one.
Whaddayaknow? JetSet Radio Future just happens to be the first game I ever played on the previous generation too. It was also what spurred me to get my own Xbox.

And now, may I just ask this:

Why is it that this review of mine in particular is the one that always gets necroed?

EDIT: Aside from JetSet's awesomeness, of course.

SharPhoe

The Nice-talgia Kerrick
Feb 28, 2009
Lord Krunk said:
Why is it that this review of mine in particular is the one that always gets necroed?
What do mean...?

*Looks back up at OP's date*

Oh, this IS old. I didn't even realize 'til now.

NotAPie

Jan 19, 2009
First xbox game I ever played and I loved it.
>.> I could never finish the last level tho, I always ALWAYS got a headache.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
SharPhoe said:
Lord Krunk said:
What do mean...?

*Looks back up at OP's date*

Oh, this IS old. I didn't even realize 'til now.
I know.

It also tells you how long it's been since I've made a (once upon a time, weekly) review.