Lord Krunk Reviews: Star Wars Battlefront (1 and 2)

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
1 - The Mysterious Geographic Explorations of Jasper Morello [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.69960#676220]
2 - Harvie Krumpet [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.70751#701645]
3 - The White Chamber [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.71432#723554]
4 - WALL-E [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.71895]
5 ? The Life of D. Duck [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.72595]
6 ? JetSet Radio Future [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.73006]

Here?s a review that I was planning on releasing last week, but people?s unknowing of JetSet Radio Future took top priority.
Also, this is my 7th review (not counting my entry for the July/August Review Arena), so I?m feeling lucky, superstitious and nice right now. So, I?m doing a DOUBLE REVIEW.
So, ladies and gentlemen, I give you:

LORD KRUNK REVIEWS: Star Wars Battlefront 1 & 2

Naturally, I?ll go with Star Wars Battlefront first.

One thing I?ve always noticed about Stormtroopers is their sad puppy-eyes. They?re so adorable, but so evil at the same time.

Star Wars Battlefront is a 1st/3rd person shooter set during the events of the clone wars (Up to the start of Episode III) and the Galactic Civil War (Episodes IV,V, and VI). The concept of the game is that you are one man/machine in an army of about 200; fighting in various plot-related areas throughout the galaxy. You also have a choice of playing as 4 different factions, two in each era (CIS (Droids) and the Republic for the Clone Wars, and the Empire and the Rebels for the Galactic Civil War).

Star Wars Battlefront was a new experience for me when I first picked it up; the concept of running around and shooting while the world around you was breaking out in all-out war was quite alluring. I picked it up, I played it, and I loved it with a vengeance.
I loved using flying vehicles in dogfights or bombing enemies in the battle that ensued below, I loved the feeling of triumph when I blew my enemies into oblivion, and I loved the fact that you could play as a Droideka.

Did I ever mention how awesome Droidekas are?

This is a game that takes Star Wars to a whole new level. Rather than focusing on Jedi and the Force, like all of the others do, this game gives the Star Wars universe a more human point of view, one that?s not spiritual, magical or moral, but one that shows that even a fantasy space world has the same issues that we face in the real world.

However, the game does have its flaws.

The singleplayer mode in this game doesn?t really have much to offer. In fact, the ?Historical Campaign? is just a bunch of preset map with limited classes and tips on how to make your army more efficient. It?s quite disappointing, really, and it gets boring quickly. You will find yourself turning towards the Galactic Conquest feature when there aren?t any friends around to share the fun with you. Mind you, there are unlockables as a prize for completing the Historical Campaign, it?s really a matter of whether you care to get them or not.
There is also the occasional general flaw. You might find some NPCs walking into walls, or running, yet going nowhere. You might also notice that a lot of maps don?t have boundaries, so a lot of characters walk out of the map, just to get killed (replacement invisible walls FTW). Also, sometimes, I receive splash damage from grenades that send me flying to the other side of the map, but leaving me nearly unharmed. What?s wrong with this picture?
There?s also one technical flaw that I would like to point out, not just in this game, but the Star Wars universe in general:

Okay, even if you discount the machinery, the console, the chair and various other doohickeys in this baby, how the hell do you fit inside a TIE fighter?

I mean, does it have the same physical properties of a TARDIS?
And then there is a flaw in equality. Does anyone else think that the Empire and Republic were hideously underpowered in comparison to the Rebels and CIS? For example, the TIE fighter has a gun. The X-Wing has a gun and homing torpedoes. The TIE fighter is the chunkiest thing in existence, as well. Those weird solar panel/shield thingies may be iconic, but it makes them bloody useless in this game. Also, the CIS has droidekas. DROIDEKAS. What can the Republic possibly have to combat that? Guys with jetpacks, that?s what.
Another thing is, this game is not for the sniper. Yes, the snipers are an invaluable asset to your team, but they lack the same kind of ?BOOM, HEADSHOT!? feeling that you get in games like Halo and Team Fortress 2.

Nitpicks aside, this game still screams of awesomeness. It may have its flaws, but it has one thing on its side that makes it a clear definition of a good game.
It?s fun. There is no real explanation that I can give, but you will find yourself glued to this game. Maybe it?s the game?s quirkiness, or maybe it?s just the feeling of victory, the kind you get when you take on an army and win.

REVIEW PITSTOP.
IF YOU ARE READING THIS, THEN YOU ARE HALFWAY THROUGH MY REVIEW. CONGRATULATIONS.

Next, I will review Star Wars Battlefront II.

Now, since I first played the prequel, I have been waiting for this game with great zeal, with the hype generated and knowledge that this game must be an improvement on its predecessor.

And it was.

You are a clone warrior, a member of the most elite Republic military squad; the 501st. This game chronicles the defining missions undertaken by the 501st, from the Clone Wars (Episode III onwards) to their ?peacekeeping missions? as the Empire (Up until the start of Episode V).

Star Wars Battlefront 2 is, when it comes to gameplay, not much different to the original. It still has ?Command Posts? for you to capture (mind you, the ?Ally Colour? has changed from green to blue in the transition), there?s still a wave of classes that you can choose from, and there?s still a reinforcement count that drops for every enemy you kill. And, of course, there?s the obligatory Star Wars music in the background. But besides that, it?s so much different. I will elaborate on this during the review.

Firstly, I will elaborate on the improvements of this sequel.
The singleplayer mode, as I mentioned before, is different from the rest of the game, which took me by surprise. Rather than just playing the mission as if it was just a regular map, you need to complete objectives. Whether it is ?Destroy A? or ?Obtain/Return B? or even ?Kill C?, the game has shown that its singleplayer is a game in its own. Something that sets it apart from its multiplayer counterpart.
The graphics and gameplay have also been made a whole lot better, with a lot less of the previous game?s glitches, and the prettiness of, well, everything.
The game is a whole lot more balanced, with every faction bearing an equal set of strengths and weaknesses.
They have also included the playability of Jedi and various other Heroes/Villains in Star Wars, which is a nice touch, especially with the truly awesome ?secret? Mos Eisley battle known as ?Assault?, which involves all of the Star Wars heroes and villains getting together for an all-out brawl. And I?m not kidding. Another benefit that comes hand in hand with this is Boba Fett?s flamethrower. What more could you want after torching a Wookiee?
Another little bit that I?d like to say is that they managed to add something more awesome than Droidekas.
?What?? you may ask. Well, let me tell you, young Padawan.
They have Droidekas that jump. JUMPING DROIDEKAS, PEOPLE!

This picture reminds me of Gmod. I don?t know why.

However, where the game has its improvements, some parts have not undergone the same kind of transformation.
Firstly, the flying vehicles have been restricted to dogfights in space. This, while fun, lacks the same feeling of joy that I had experienced in the game?s predecessor.
They also haven?t altered the sniper to give it that ?BOOM HEADSHOT!? feel that I mentioned earlier. Star Wars Battlefront remains a game that is not for the sniping enthusiast.
The new layout for ?Galactic Conquest? has also received a makeover, and while a lot more pretty and strategy-oriented, you may notice that the planets themselves have changed somewhat. You will notice that there are more of them, and thus more maps to choose from. However, there is only one map per planet.
This may not be a problem for someone who has never played the prequel, but veterans will notice the change involved. They got rid of my favourite maps; The Bespin Platforms and the Tatooine Dune Sea, and I deem that unforgivable. If you have the PC version, however, mods will be able to take care of that.
One final problem that I have with the game is that, where they have balanced out the 4 factions, they have unbalanced the players themselves. You see, there are ?awards? that are given to the player for a certain achievement in a match. Now, this isn?t a problem per se, but there are rankings, based on how many awards you get. If you have enough, the effect is permanent, making you a lot more powerful than the bots, or even friends, should you play a game with them.

All in all, Star Wars Battlefront II is a worthy sequel to the original, but it seems that it has tried to improve a little too much, and in the wrong places. However, it is still fun, if less quirky, than the former.

Do you think I should separate this into two reviews or should I keep it the way it is? Please voice your opinion.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
I have to agree with Krunk and disagree with Mobius, I still don't have that "Boom Headshot" feeling from the Battlefront series. Maybe in the PsP game?

Loved your review.

Note* You should keep the two mixed, we could have a comparison right in our face.

2nd Note* YES, JUMPING DROIDEKA ARE AWESOME!!!!!!

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
Hey, Krunk! What's your name in Battlefront? Maybe we could play a round or two on Original Battlefont.

And, your reveiws were excellent. Battlefront is a supurb game,given the limitations of gaming in 2004. Oh wait [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-Life_2].

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Anarchemitis post=326.73287.791532 said:
Hey, Krunk! What's your name in Battlefront? Maybe we could play a round or two on Original Battlefont.
It's depressing, but I don't actually have Xbox Live.

Oh, and my name is PQQMEE. See, I needed to come up with a name, and Krunk wasn't conceived yet.

But it did lead to my gaming catchphrase: "P-Double-Q-N-Three-D, Bitches!"

Anyway, sorry about that, I really would love to play a game.

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
HalfShadow post=326.73287.791662 said:
I liked murdering Ewoks.
Conclusion: As do I master. It is our lot in life.
Query: Shall we kill something to cheer ourselves up?

qbert4ever

Dec 14, 2007
I'm with Mobius. I love playing as a sniper on one (don't have two, tried it, hated it), and tend to get at least 40+ kills when I do.

Anyways, good review. Was well written, and I think you should keep them together.

ObnoxiousTwat

Sep 28, 2008
Fun game but (In Battlefront 2) playing as a jedi in singleplayer is much to easy. Once you wield a lightsaber, it is basically you slaughtering the other team with little opposition.

Good review.

Ultrajoe

Omnichairman
Apr 24, 2008
Not for the sniping enthusiast?

BWAAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH

Allow me to repeat that

BWAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!

I assure you, a good enough sniper finds Battlefront to be his *****. A man skilled with a rifle can singlehandedly change the tide of a battle and feel like a god.

I would say snipers are the most powerful unit in the game, and one with a knowledge of a maps choke points can make life a living hell for any enemy force. The 'boom, headshot' is alive and kicking, but even more epic, its 'boom, victory' when you know your killing twice the men of a rocket trooper and taking none of the deaths.

Just my 2 cents.

Jamanticus

Sep 7, 2008
Hmm... Good review, Lord Krunk. I think you did an excellent job at expounding upon the evolution from the first Battlefront to the second. I'm also very glad that you pointed out the bits of Battlefront II that were not as good as the first one- for some reason, I never got that same rush from BFII as I did from plain BF...

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Ultrajoe post=326.73287.793101 said:
Not for the sniping enthusiast?

BWAAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH

Allow me to repeat that

BWAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!

I assure you, a good enough sniper finds Battlefront to be his *****. A man skilled with a rifle can singlehandedly change the tide of a battle and feel like a god.

I would say snipers are the most powerful unit in the game, and one with a knowledge of a maps choke points can make life a living hell for any enemy force. The 'boom, headshot' is alive and kicking, but even more epic, its 'boom, victory' when you know your killing twice the men of a rocket trooper and taking none of the deaths.

Just my 2 cents.
I agree about the "BOOM, VICTORY!" feel associated with the sniper, but what I am talking about is that it just doesn't feel the same. Sure, if winning is your main motivator, then by all means be the sniper. But I, personally, don't get the same kick of self-esteem that I get in games like TF2 and Halo.

Wargamer

Apr 2, 2008
I love Battlefront II. I want Battlefront III to come out soon, just so I can jump on with 15 of my Friends (okay, 15 total strangers) vs 16 more of my Friends (total strangers) and duke it out!

As you said, there is room for improvement in Battlefront II. Perhaps the biggest flaw, in my mind, is that the best way to win a space battle is to board the enemy flagship and fight it out as if you were in a ground war. Yes, a Storm Trooper with a Blaster Rifle is more dangerous than a TIE Bomber. Go figure.

With the processing power of the 7th Gen, think of the mind-bogglingly awesome battles you could have. Imagine doubling, or tripling the number of units a side. Now imagine being able to get into a space battle, only to dive planetside and give air cover for the ground war!

If only my dreams would come true...

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Wargamer post=326.73287.796416 said:
I love Battlefront II. I want Battlefront III to come out soon, just so I can jump on with 15 of my Friends (okay, 15 total strangers) vs 16 more of my Friends (total strangers) and duke it out!

As you said, there is room for improvement in Battlefront II. Perhaps the biggest flaw, in my mind, is that the best way to win a space battle is to board the enemy flagship and fight it out as if you were in a ground war. Yes, a Storm Trooper with a Blaster Rifle is more dangerous than a TIE Bomber. Go figure.

With the processing power of the 7th Gen, think of the mind-bogglingly awesome battles you could have. Imagine doubling, or tripling the number of units a side. Now imagine being able to get into a space battle, only to dive planetside and give air cover for the ground war!

If only my dreams would come true...
Battlefront 3, eh?

Picture yourself standing in a desert, watching, waiting, looking at the dune ahead. An army stands behind you.

The wind continues to blow sand onto your sticky, sweaty face. The heat is taking advantage of you.

And then; you hear blasters. Light and echoey, but getting louder.... as they get closer.

And then, you see them.

Rebel Forces, those scum and villainy from the Outer Rim, appearaing on the horizon.

And in a single swish of your hand, everyone charges.

The war of the Dunes begins.

That's what I want.

I hope they bring back the Dune Sea.

Beowulf DW

Jul 12, 2008
Lord Krunk post=326.73287.796426 said:
Battlefront 3, eh?

Picture yourself standing in a desert, watching, waiting, looking at the dune ahead. An army stands behind you.

The wind continues to blow sand onto your sticky, sweaty face. The heat is taking advantage of you.

And then; you hear blasters. Light and echoey, but getting louder.... as they get closer.

And then, you see them.

Rebel Forces, those scum and villainy from the Outer Rim, appearaing on the horizon.

That's what I want.

I....I think I'm in love....

Janus Vesta

Mar 25, 2008
Battlefront 3, eh?

And then, you see them.

That's what I want.

Are you god?

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Janus Vesta post=326.73287.801070 said:
Battlefront 3, eh?

And then, you see them.

That's what I want.

Are you god?
You tell me.

Angrywyvern

Sep 30, 2008
The "BOOM HEADSHOT!!" feeling is definitely not there. Sure, snipers can be incredibly powerful, but the only sound is a light "tseew" and most of the time you can kill the just a good with a shot to the torso, which kind of makes you wonder why you'd aim for the head.
Maybe it's different for you, I have the PC version of both games

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Angrywyvern post=326.73287.802222 said:
The "BOOM HEADSHOT!!" feeling is definitely not there. Sure, snipers can be incredibly powerful, but the only sound is a light "tseew" and most of the time you can kill the just a good with a shot to the torso, which kind of makes you wonder why you'd aim for the head.
Because you're at least 4 kinds of awesome more awesome when you get a headshot than if you were to just kill them with a torso shot, considering my scale (AwesomeScaleGoesUpTo11(tm)) only has 11 kinds of awesome on it, being bumped up 4 kinds is a fair bit. I say take it.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Amnestic post=326.73287.802283 said:
Angrywyvern post=326.73287.802222 said:
Because you're at least 4 kinds of awesome more awesome when you get a headshot than if you were to just kill them with a torso shot, considering my scale (AwesomeScaleGoesUpTo11(tm)) only has 11 kinds of awesome on it, being bumped up 4 kinds is a fair bit. I say take it.
Wait a minute, didn't I already say that the game doesn't have that kind of feeling?

The way I'm hearing it, you're both agreeing with me.