Lord Krunk Reviews: Star Wars Battlefront (1 and 2)

51gunner

Jun 12, 2008
I think the "BOOM, headshot" factor is really cut down due to the weapon itself being rather unsatisfying to fire. In other games, the sniper rifle is always a massive penis-extension with a huge barrel, that ROARS when angry and killing. The Battlefront sniper is "pew".

"pew".

Also gimping the feeling is the fact that the basic rifleman is, well, deadly. Except for the maps with the most extreme ranges on them, the rifle holds its accuracy. ESPECIALLY true for the Elite rifle, once you get your hands on one. You don't lord over the tiny fools with inferior weapons all that much, after all.

Reaperman Wompa

Aug 6, 2008
Pretty good review but at a few points it seemed like you ran into a wall, also I would recommend separating the games in future so the person reading can really absorb and experience (couldn't think of better words) the review more as separate games and less cluttered.

Also you explain almost everything in the game, you don't really leave room for people to enjoy the game fully after your review, as everything is recognizable, which is kinda negative in a review. It's like going out to get lost, but someone makes you memorize a map for 20 minutes before you go, you still get the experience but it feels a bit ruined.

I won't out of 10 it but you definitely are becoming one of the better Escapist reviewers.

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
Lord Krunk said:
Ultrajoe post=326.73287.793101 said:
Not for the sniping enthusiast?

BWAAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH

Allow me to repeat that

BWAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!

I assure you, a good enough sniper finds Battlefront to be his *****. A man skilled with a rifle can singlehandedly change the tide of a battle and feel like a god.

I would say snipers are the most powerful unit in the game, and one with a knowledge of a maps choke points can make life a living hell for any enemy force. The 'boom, headshot' is alive and kicking, but even more epic, its 'boom, victory' when you know your killing twice the men of a rocket trooper and taking none of the deaths.

Just my 2 cents.
I agree about the "BOOM, VICTORY!" feel associated with the sniper, but what I am talking about is that it just doesn't feel the same. Sure, if winning is your main motivator, then by all means be the sniper. But I, personally, don't get the same kick of self-esteem that I get in games like TF2 and Halo.
Maybe it's because the death animations for a sniper shot are not different than for any other gun. A good ragdoll backflip after a headshot would be way more satisfying than the guy just falling over.

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
51gunner said:
I think the "BOOM, headshot" factor is really cut down due to the weapon itself being rather unsatisfying to fire. In other games, the sniper rifle is always a massive penis-extension with a huge barrel, that ROARS when angry and killing. The Battlefront sniper is "pew".

"pew".

Also gimping the feeling is the fact that the basic rifleman is, well, deadly. Except for the maps with the most extreme ranges on them, the rifle holds its accuracy. ESPECIALLY true for the Elite rifle, once you get your hands on one. You don't lord over the tiny fools with inferior weapons all that much, after all.
This ^. The sniper rifle is worthless once you've earned the Elite Rifle. That triple round burst is perfectly accurate and seems to travel faster than a sniper shot anyway. Plus, if you strafe a tiny bit with it you can easily pick off moving targets. I get a lot of 'Frenzy' awards.

Clashero

Aug 15, 2008
Frankly, I prefer the Battlefront II sniper rifle to, say, the Counter Strike sniper rifle. I'm just weird like that, I like the PEW! sound it makes and the trail of the beam that stays there after the guy went down.

ygetoff

Oct 22, 2008
Ultrajoe said:
Not for the sniping enthusiast?

BWAAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH

Allow me to repeat that

BWAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!

I assure you, a good enough sniper finds Battlefront to be his *****. A man skilled with a rifle can singlehandedly change the tide of a battle and feel like a god.

I would say snipers are the most powerful unit in the game, and one with a knowledge of a maps choke points can make life a living hell for any enemy force. The 'boom, headshot' is alive and kicking, but even more epic, its 'boom, victory' when you know your killing twice the men of a rocket trooper and taking none of the deaths.

Just my 2 cents.
I kind of agree. The sniper is insanely powerful if you know the map; I once killed more than half of the enemy force with only 7 respawns.
I think he's saying that the sniper rifle doesn't feel very powerful. And I agree with him on that.

The review's great, by the way.

ygetoff

Oct 22, 2008
Wargamer said:
I love Battlefront II. I want Battlefront III to come out soon, just so I can jump on with 15 of my Friends (okay, 15 total strangers) vs 16 more of my Friends (total strangers) and duke it out!

As you said, there is room for improvement in Battlefront II. Perhaps the biggest flaw, in my mind, is that the best way to win a space battle is to board the enemy flagship and fight it out as if you were in a ground war. Yes, a Storm Trooper with a Blaster Rifle is more dangerous than a TIE Bomber. Go figure.

With the processing power of the 7th Gen, think of the mind-bogglingly awesome battles you could have. Imagine doubling, or tripling the number of units a side. Now imagine being able to get into a space battle, only to dive planetside and give air cover for the ground war!

If only my dreams would come true...
My God. I wouldn't play any other game.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Mmmm... these games were fun stuff.

Spot on there, though the Jedi are also unbalanced: whoever has force pull/push WILL win every confrontation.

EDIT:

And for that one image, use [ img height=400], it's WAAAY too big.

Sev72

Apr 13, 2009
Not a Sniper Game? Not a sniper game? NOT A SNIPER GAME....
I believe my 3000, yes that is three thousand, kills in a single CTF match deny you that claim. I thought the headshots worked fine.Also clone commanders are win, maybe because I like Miniguns too much....

Shrifes

Jul 4, 2008
Great reviews, not long ago a friend and I had a discussion about the differences between Battlefront 1&2 and you mentioned most of what we concluded. Only qualm I have is the love for Droidekas, I hate lose bastards. They're the only reason my 18.00 K/D (Single-player I didn't have live) is as low as it is.