Lord Krunk Reviews: The Life of D. Duck

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
1 - The Mysterious Geographic Explorations of Jasper Morello [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.69960#676220]
2 - Harvie Krumpet [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.70751#701645]
3 - The White Chamber [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.71432#723554]
4 - WALL-E [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.71895]

LORD KRUNK REVIEWS ? THE LIFE OF D. DUCK

Escapists, I have a confession to make. I feel a bit guilty after writing my review of WALL-E, because I mainly intend to broaden people?s horizons, rather than become ?yet another? mainstream review. So, to remedy this, I have decided to find something so warped, something so original, something incredibly left-wing to review. And look what I found that fits this description:

The Life of D. Duck. And yes; this is a screenshot.

The Life of D. Duck is a free game by Bjornar B, a guy with, upon looking at his website and the accent on the ?O? in his name, probably speaks English as a second language. The concept of the game is that you are a newly hatched duck thing that is on a quest to make porridge. Yes. You heard me. PORRIDGE.
During his journey, he meets some quirky and eccentric people who help him on his quest.

Now, this game isn?t much, I agree, but there are a couple of things that make this game brilliant.

Firstly, the art. The graphics literally look like a 2-year-old drew it, and I can not say whether this is a good or a bad thing. While I find the fact that the way the characters talk is really disjointed, it honestly reminds me of my preschool days, where I would draw crazy things without end, with an unwavering belief that they would come to life in my own imaginary world.
At this point, I will leave a few lines to have you think about my previous sentence. You may not admit it, but everyone has had this happen to them at a given point.
This makes the game quite nostalgic, and certainly sets it apart from the other games of this genre. Or games in general. Mind you, I can?t help but think that the ?Grandmother? is evil.

See what I mean?

Another thing about this game that I enjoy is the disjointed humour and dialogue. There is no audible speech involved, the entire game?s dialogue is told via text. This further expresses my belief that Bjornar B speaks English as a second language, and the results are hilarious.

Two Examples said:
#1 - *Grandma has found an egg on the side of the road as she is driving along it with Uncle Scrooch*

GRANDMA: ?Look Uncle Scrooch! I have found an egg that I am grandmother of. I do not know who warped it though.?
SCROOCH: ?I hope I must not buy him a present.?

#2 - *Upon trying to use the ?get? function on a tuba hanging on a wall*

D. DUCK: ?I have no need for a Tuba. I am not drilling for oil.?
The game is heavily disjointed in an amazing amount of ways, and this further sets it apart. Where the game seems clunky, it gains in childish originality.

Where my praise for the game?s ?difference? is great, I also have a lot of criticism for this game.
The point-and-click gameplay, where in some ways good, can get really annoying. Right-clicking to cycle through the ?use/get?,?see?,?talk to?,?walk to? and ?item? functions is really tedious.
Also, being a Grammar Nazi, I do find myself annoyed at the consistent misspelling of words and punctuation. It?s just not a professional game; at least, not as professional as the white chamber.
The music gets on my nerves; it?s amazingly repetitive and annoying. It also reminds me of the monophonic themes from my old Game Boy games. While also nostalgic, it still sounds bad.
Lastly, a recurring argument from my previous reviews: It?s short. Mind you, my attention wavered in the last few minutes of playing, so this is probably a good length for a game like this.

In the end, The Life of D. Duck is a game that is hard to parallel for it?s creativity and nostalgic touch, but for everything else, it just doesn?t quite cut it. Worth a look, but I don?t expect you to care much for the game itself.

http://home.online.no/~gei-pe-r/DDuckSetup1.00.exe

No, I will not review things quite as odd as this in the future. This is just a one-off.

Oh, and don?t ask me where I found this game; I really don?t know myself.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Well, if it's any consolation, the creator's dream is to become a Donald Duck animator. I have reason to believe that is why the main character is called D. Duck.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Not to threadjack, but how do you do that "click for spoiler" stuff? Instructions (or link to FAQ somewhere) would be appreciated, since I can't for the life of me find it myself.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
SimuLord post=326.72595.767131 said:
Not to threadjack, but how do you do that "click for spoiler" stuff? Instructions (or link to FAQ somewhere) would be appreciated, since I can't for the life of me find it myself.
[ spoiler]Your words here[ /spoiler]

Get rid of the spaces, and you have spoiler tags.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
So something like
this? (and truly, thank you, I never quite figured out how that worked.)