Lord of the Rings DOTA Clone Coming to XBLA and PSN

MrStab

Mar 24, 2011
I can understand a 2D MOBA game working on console but an exact DoTA clone? There is going to be a lot of problems just with basic mechanics and strategy let alone full blown team fights. Fuck that.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
You cannot simply walk into Morridor!

You have to help wave upon wave of Mobs destroy battle towers and other units and defend them from evil villains until they arrive at the gates of Morridor. Only then can you get there.

Truniron

Nov 9, 2010
Not sure how the game play will turn out to be like, but I would love to see some actual footage from the game before I fully judge it. Over all, not too excited, but will say that I am going to play it, because I like MOBA games.

Zeriah

Mar 26, 2009
They'd have to completely take away the clicking interface and just make it a typical action RPG style combat to make it playable on a console and at that point it wouldn't even be a DotA clone.

This sounds like it's going to be terrible.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
John Funk said:
I don't think they'll be letting anyone play as Smaug the dragon. Just a hunch.
Play /as/? No, probably not. Play /against/, as a mob in the jungle? why not. In LoL terms, He'd be pretty easy to use as the replacement for the dragon, might work as a Baron Nasus equivalent, too.

OT: I actually want to play this. Shame it's a console exclusive, and I don't have a PS3 or a 360. I'd give it a shot if it were on the PC.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Evil Smurf said:
why not? if this genre works why not have more?
The controls, MOBA games descend from RTS games and are meant to play with mouse and keyboard. It can be worked around for the most part if they have a proper mechanics design; it will mean forgo some heroes though like meepo or ophelia and focus developing others that are more accessible like drow or riki which if LoL is a representative case is what the community wants anyway, and they need to figure out how to target the autoattacks and the skills, but it is very doable.

If they have good people working on the proyect that know how MOBA games work, it is totally possible to make one for consoles; to make one that is actually on the level of DotA however might be near impossible.

Folji

Jul 21, 2010
Does XBLA and PSN even have much of a MOBA market? And why does Legolas look like a bitter old bastard on the language selection page? Just getting the controls right for console gameplay is gonna deviate it enough from the staples of the genre that people familiar with MOBAs will likely just give it funny looks as it passes by.

Don Savik

Aug 27, 2011
I honestly hope its more like MNC where its a third persony game with towers and such. A full on DOTA/LOL clone wouldn't work mechanically on the console. As a fan of LoL and LOTR I'm.......intrigued. But then again it might just be to milk the franchise and turn out to be complete garbage.

But if anything good has come out of milking franchises, its the Lord of the Rings legos. Whoever made those is a genius.

Feb 28, 2008
How the heck are they going to balance this game? Sauron would defeat the entire roster of heroes with one swipe of his mace. A hobbit of any kind would be destroyed by any of the other heroes.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
MasterOfHisOwnDomain said:
How the heck are they going to balance this game? Sauron would defeat the entire roster of heroes with one swipe of his mace. A hobbit of any kind would be destroyed by any of the other heroes.
Probably by scrapping the lore in regards to strength so they can balance them.

My hopes for Fingolfin and other characters from the Silmarillion show up, since it's Guardians of Middle-Earth, not the Third Age.

Hiname

Songstress of Ar Ciel
Mar 23, 2011
Insta-Lock Witchking.
"Mid or I feed. ... YOU TO MY SHADOWBEAST!"

"Gollum, for fucks sake, place some wards!"
"My precioussssss."

[Saruman] "Shelob i need a gank here top, bilbo is zoning me too hard."

Epic jungle staredown between jungle Balrok and Treebeard.

... dear god, so many mental images just from the idea..

cricket chirps

Apr 15, 2009
YES

this will be a mediocre game most likely but i LOVE both of these things and im gonna have fun with it anyway :D yaaaay

also, perfect opening line "gandalf stop feeding the balrog!"

JohnDoey

Jun 30, 2009
I don't see the problem I mean i've played like two games of LoL and near as I can figure you could adapt the controls well enough the only real concession I see is probably limiting the amount of abilities to 4 mapped on the face buttons. It will be different but it could work with relativity little lost in the gameplay department.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
JohnDoey said:
I don't see the problem I mean i've played like two games of LoL and near as I can figure you could adapt the controls well enough the only real concession I see is probably limiting the amount of abilities to 4 mapped on the face buttons. It will be different but it could work with relativity little lost in the gameplay department.
Except the accuracy bit. If they make it smartcasting, the targeting thing will have to be over the enemy you want to use it on, and for skillshots it'll just be the direction as normal. The thing is, you can't really move the cursor as fast/accurately with an analog stick. It can work, it'll just feel very clunky n such compared to the MOBA's on PC.

JohnDoey

Jun 30, 2009
JaceArveduin said:
JohnDoey said:
Except the accuracy bit. If they make it smartcasting, the targeting thing will have to be over the enemy you want to use it on, and for skillshots it'll just be the direction as normal. The thing is, you can't really move the cursor as fast/accurately with an analog stick. It can work, it'll just feel very clunky n such compared to the MOBA's on PC.
Your assuming they will use a cursor, they will probably use the left analog for movement and some form of auto-target like I said they would be stupid to try a direct adaptation of a pc MOBA, I just feel that with some adjustments the game should work well on consoles without sacrificing what makes a Moba a Moba, obviously changes need to be made to work but it could be a fairly smooth transition to consoles.