Lords of Shadow Studio's New Game is Coming to PS4 and Xbox One, Not Wii U

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Lords of Shadow Studio's New Game is Coming to PS4 and Xbox One, Not Wii U

Mercury Steam's new, unannounced game will be "completely different" from Castlevania and is scheduled for the PS4 and Xbox One, but not the Wii U.

During a roundtable interview for Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2, producer Dave Cox has announced that Mercury Steam is working on a new, unannounced game for the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One that's "completely different" from the Castlevania series the studio's known for. Unfortunately for Wii U owners, it won't come to Nintendo's console, for reasons yet to be revealed.

While Cox remains tight-lipped about the studio's future game, he did reveal that a number of ideas that never made it into Lords of Shadow 2, which includes combat mechanics, might be implemented in the studio's next-gen debut.

Lastly, if you're hoping to play Lords of Shadow 2 on the PS4 or Xbox One, don't hold your breath, as Cox admits that while the studio considered the option last year, Konami has no plans to port the game to the new consoles since it would mean changing the game's engine significantly.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 is set for a February 25 release for the PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 and picks up right where the first Lords of Shadow left off.

Make sure to give our Lords of Shadow 2 preview [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/previews/10888-Castlevania-Lords-of-Shadow-2-Hands-On-Off-Preview] a read where it talks about the new combat mechanics and much more.

Source: GameSpot [http://www.gamespot.com/articles/castlevania-dev-s-new-game-for-xbox-one-ps4-is-completely-different-not-coming-to-wii-u/1100-6417027/]

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
That's odd, I could have sworn they had no plans for the new gen consoles according to Dtoid.

http://www.destructoid.com/no-plans-for-castlevania-lords-of-shadow-2-on-next-gen-268648.phtml

It's also really retarded at this point that once again the Wii U doesn't get to have an awesome game like LOS1 and 2.

I can't wait to see the bullshit excuse as per usual and people coming to defend said excuse because they somehow think it's right to deny other gamers.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I'm curious to see what game they're working on and more interested to see why it won't make it to the Wii U...as for Lords of Shadow 2, I'm not going to touch that thing...the original burned me and the 3DS one burned me a bit more intensely.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Shadow-Phoenix said:
That's odd, I could have sworn they had no plans for the new gen consoles according to Dtoid.

http://www.destructoid.com/no-plans-for-castlevania-lords-of-shadow-2-on-next-gen-268648.phtml

It's also really retarded at this point that once again the Wii U doesn't get to have an awesome game like LOS1 and 2.

I can't wait to see the bullshit excuse as per usual and people coming to defend said excuse because they somehow think it's right to deny other gamers.
I think they're talking about their new new game, not LoD2.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
With the amount of third party developers saying their games aren't going to be available on the Wii-U I hope Nintendo will talk to them and see why and hopefully take that into consideration when designing their next console.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Sanunes said:
With the amount of third party developers saying their games aren't going to be available on the Wii-U I hope Nintendo will talk to them and see why and hopefully take that into consideration when designing their next console.
i more or less hope they come groveling to Nintendo in the future.

Most of them haven't shown much of an interest and some have spited Nintendo (the likes of EA and others), I don't see why Nintendo should be the one groveling,begging, saying sorry for not being able to get third party support, third party support is not supposed to be the one in charge/making the demands and calling the shots, they should be looking into supporting Nintendo, not looking for reasons that are beyond stupid to do with them.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Honestly at this point are there still people who actually buy Nintendo consoles actually thinking it was gonna get excellent 3rd party support? Nintendo systems past the SNES have never had good 3rd party support, and that's because many 3rd parties were tired of how Nintendo would treat them and went to other places. As I've said before, Yamauchi put Iwata in this position really, and at this point 3rd parties are more than likely not gonna come back.

Also, are people really upset that they will be missing another Lords of Shadow game? The first one was terrible, the 3DS was was bad, and honestly I don't think this one is gonna be any diiferent. It reminds me of how I saw people upset that the Wii U didn't get Colonial Marines. I say count your blessings for that one. I've had a Wii U for ages now and now have more games for it than my 360 (My 360 sits in a box under my bed). I'm definitely not gonna get my knickers in a twist over this.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
At this point it would be newsworthy if a third party game that isn't an exclusive, and/or has a history of making games for all consoles REGARDLESS makes a game for the Wii U.

We all know what the general "reason" would be:

1) Small install base

2) Can't compete with Nintendo First party

3) Gamepad tooooo haaaaaard

4) Not powerful enough

5) We really just don't like Nintendo too much money to develop for.

Take your picks fellow users. It's going to be one of these.

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
Neronium said:
Honestly at this point are there still people who actually buy Nintendo console's actually thinking it was gonna get excellent 3rd party support? Nintendo systems past the SNES have never had good 3rd party support, and that's because many 3rd parties were tired of how Nintendo would treat them and went to other places. As I've said before, Yamauchi put Iwata in this position really, and at this point 3rd parties are more than likely not gonna come back.

Also, are people really upset that they will be missing another Lords of Shadow game? The first one was terrible, the 3DS was was bad, and honestly I don't think this one is gonna be any diiferent. It reminds me of how I saw people upset that the Wii U didn't get Colonial Marines. I say count your blessings for that one. I've had a Wii U for ages now and now have more games for it than my 360 (My 360 sits in a box under my bed). I'm definitely not gonna get my knickers in a twist over this.
There were seriously people upset that Colonial Marines wasn't coming to the Wii U?

Didn't Nintendo actually deny them that port because it was so shit?

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Shoggoth2588 said:
I'm curious to see what game they're working on and more interested to see why it won't make it to the Wii U...
I suspect it has something to do with the 2nd most success third-party Wii U game ever only selling 300,000 copies total.

I think this studio is independent right? That probably means they don't have a lot of money/people to put on making a port, and also if their port fails miserably then they probably can't afford to take the financial loss.

Shadow-Phoenix said:
Sanunes said:

Most of them haven't shown much of an interest and some have spited Nintendo (the likes of EA and others), I don't see why Nintendo should be the one groveling,begging, saying sorry for not being able to get third party support, third party support is not supposed to be the one in charge/making the demands and calling the shots, they should be looking into supporting Nintendo, not looking for reasons that are beyond stupid to do with them.
I mean Nintendo can try that, but it's not actually going to happen and the person who loses out in that scenario isn't the third-parties. Even when the Wii became the second best selling console of all time the third-parties didn't come crawling back to it, if they didn't then, they're certainly not going to come back to the Wii U.

Third-parties have no responsibility except to make money. They aren't doing this to spite Nintendo, they're doing it because every single game they've sold on the Wii has lost them crud loads of money.

Look at Wonderful 101, they adore Nintendo, to the point where it was rumoured they wanted to become a second-party publisher. And how well did that work out for them? Just 130,000 units sold. That's not enough to pay for the coffee they drank.

Publishers aren't going to make games for Nintendo unless Nintendo shows that those games are going to sell. They didn't sell for the Wii, they didn't sell for the Wii U. It's not arrogance to not throw away money for the sake of Nintendo, it's common sense. If Nintendo wants them back then they need to produce sales or do a Microsoft and throw money at them

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Dragonbums said:
There were seriously people upset that Colonial Marines wasn't coming to the Wii U?

Didn't Nintendo actually deny them that port because it was so shit?
Yeah, there were Wii U owners on this site actually that we're saying how it was unfair that they weren't gonna get the game and were saying how obviously Gearbox doesn't like Nintendo. As for Nintendo denying it, I don't think that's the case really because that sounds like something Yamauchi would do in his time, and believe me if Iwata does ever actually want 3rd party support there's a lot of damage Yamauchi did to some 3rd parties. Most notable would probably be Square.

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
BrotherRool said:
Shoggoth2588 said:
I'm curious to see what game they're working on and more interested to see why it won't make it to the Wii U...
I suspect it has something to do with the 2nd most success third-party Wii U game ever only selling 300,000 copies total.

I think this studio is independent right? That probably means they don't have a lot of money/people to put on making a port, and also if their port fails miserably then they probably can't afford to take the financial loss.

Shadow-Phoenix said:
Sanunes said:

I mean Nintendo can try that, but it's not actually going to happen and the person who loses out in that scenario isn't the third-parties. Even when the Wii became the second best selling console of all time the third-parties didn't come crawling back to it, if they didn't then, they're certainly not going to come back to the Wii U.

Third-parties have no responsibility except to make money. They aren't doing this to spite Nintendo, they're doing it because every single game they've sold on the Wii has lost them crud loads of money.

Look at Wonderful 101, they adore Nintendo, to the point where it was rumoured they wanted to become a second-party publisher. And how well did that work out for them? Just 130,000 units sold. That's not enough to pay for the coffee they drank.

Publishers aren't going to make games for Nintendo unless Nintendo shows that those games are going to sell. They didn't sell for the Wii, they didn't sell for the Wii U. It's not arrogance to not throw away money for the sake of Nintendo, it's common sense. If Nintendo wants them back then they need to produce sales or do a Microsoft and throw money at them

The big thing your forgetting in regards to P* (and to extension clover studios since it's basically the same staff) is that they NEVER made much(if any) money third party on other systems. Never.
They liked Nintendo because Nintendo-I'm assuming- knew the history of the company in terms of game sales yet they were wholly willing to mitigate that loss for them to let them make whatever they want.

At this point, if P* were to go to Sony or Microsoft again they would simply of been outright rejected. Just like beforehand. Nobody wanted to put any money into their games because the company never turned a profit for any company or publisher it worked under with the exception of ONE GAME for Capcom or something.

schrodinger

Jul 19, 2013
Seriously now, this image is every company to nintendo

ffs companies, be nice to nintendo once in a while and release your games to the WiiU, especially since there are people willing to pay for the stupid games.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Dragonbums said:
At this point it would be newsworthy if a third party game that isn't an exclusive, and/or has a history of making games for all consoles REGARDLESS makes a game for the Wii U.

We all know what the general "reason" would be:

1) Small install base

2) Can't compete with Nintendo First party

3) Gamepad tooooo haaaaaard

4) Not powerful enough

5) We really just don't like Nintendo too much money to develop for.

Take your picks fellow users. It's going to be one of these.
I think what's funny is that in another interview Cox then claims to have mad respect for Nintendo due to how LoS2 takes inspiration from Zelda.

Okay, Cox, do I look like an idiot to you? Do you REALLY have so little respect for people's intelligence that you expect them to buy that? You can't praise Nintendo and then do nothing for them. Your words claim to respect Nintendo, but your ACTIONS show what's really going on. If you don't want to make games on Nintendo systems, then fine, go ahead, but don't pretend it's due to money, or the Gamepad, or the power of the system, the install base, or Nintendo's obscenely popular 1st party offerings (that's my personal favorite due to it being an admission of incompetence), and ESPECIALLY don't freaking praise them and then spit in their face by refusing to do anything for them. At this point I've just given up on taking 3rd parties seriously when they pull crap like this. Best to just let them continue sulking while Nintendo only gets more expansive and powerful

Captcha: No brainer

No kidding

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
BrotherRool said:
Basically never then, we should know by now that they are caught in the catch 22 situation and that's ever so hard to break free from.

But hey don't let them throw money, let Nintendo take care of all that for them.

I was afraid to swim with aquatic life during my stay in Florida but I did it, if I hadn't well I'd have never know and if I stayed away from it forever I'd never have had that experience, just because it's happened in the Wii does not set it in solid complete history known future for the Wii U.

EA as we know is not the nice kind spirited well known for great games publisher and you saw how they reacted to the WIi U.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Dragonbums said:
The big thing your forgetting in regards to P* (and to extension clover studios since it's basically the same staff) is that they NEVER made much(if any) money third party on other systems. Never.
They liked Nintendo because Nintendo-I'm assuming- knew the history of the company in terms of game sales yet they were wholly willing to mitigate that loss for them to let them make whatever they want.

At this point, if P* were to go to Sony or Microsoft again they would simply of been outright rejected. Just like beforehand. Nobody wanted to put any money into their games because the company never turned a profit for any company or publisher it worked under with the exception of ONE GAME for Capcom or something.
That's true. If Nintendo could stretch themselves to fund one or two companies like that it might make a difference.*

*Well I'd like to believe that's true. In reality it probably wouldn't work because Nintendo wouldn't have any of the big flashy games people actually know about. But in an ideal world...

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
BrotherRool said:
Dragonbums said:

That's true. If Nintendo could stretch themselves to fund one or two companies like that it might make a difference.*

*Well I'd like to believe that's true. In reality it probably wouldn't work because Nintendo wouldn't have any of the big flashy games people actually know about. But in an ideal world...
They have the money to fund, and/or outright buy a lot of companies. However that doesn't seem to be how Nintendo goes about things at all. They like to exchange team members from time to time to help out. If a studio expresses huge interest in working with Nintendo they will work hand in hand on the projects.

In SEGA's case, they had some Nintendo staff working on their latest Sonic game. Based on gameplay I would even say they gave them access to the physics engine in Super Mario Galaxy as well. In P* studios case, Nintendo kept very close watch to make sure they didn't bullshit gameplay (and according to staff they took that job very seriously.) otherwise they left said studio be.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
wasn't lord of shadows basically glorified crash bandicoot mixed with quicktime actions

who cares

if anything, maybe it's starting to make a point about how unqualified today's game makers are in meeting standards for good games

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
So... Is this thread just going to be endless people saying that no really, the Wii U is great, you'll totally make your money back on making games for it with absolutely no backup?

Because you can say the stated reasons are a false mask hiding outright hatred for Nintendo, but unless you've got some numbers indicating that porting to Wii U will be cheap enough and sell enough copies to warrant the trouble, all you're doing is throwing around baseless accusations.