Lords of the Fallen Hands On - Rough and Tumble

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Lords of the Fallen Hands On - Rough and Tumble

Above every PS4 and Xbox One set up to demo Bandai Namco?s Lords of the Fallen was a banner of a brooding white man with facial hair, tattoos, scars, and an equally gritty facial expression.

Read Full Article

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
I actually saw some of this game on the Twitch side of things for E3. It looks very... familiar, but different enough to be enjoyable without constantly going "well, but... Dark Souls". Also, the named protagonist + more active characters do interest me, as well as the very "grand" story aspect. The only thing I'm unsure about is the exaggerated art style, but it can grow on me. The other thing is that the combat seems a bit more... floaty, almost as if the enemies and the character don't -quite- have a solid connection to the ground, which is a bit annoying. It was sort of visible at the boss fight of this video where the knight "slides" during his attacks. This is similar to the player character's impacts to fly through the air rather than having weight. Maybe I'm weird though, who knows.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Ferisar said:
I actually saw some of this game on the Twitch side of things for E3. It looks very... familiar, but different enough to be enjoyable without constantly going "well, but... Dark Souls". Also, the named protagonist + more active characters do interest me, as well as the very "grand" story aspect. The only thing I'm unsure about is the exaggerated art style, but it can grow on me. The other thing is that the combat seems a bit more... floaty, almost as if the enemies and the character don't -quite- have a solid connection to the ground, which is a bit annoying. It was sort of visible at the boss fight of this video where the knight "slides" during his attacks. This is similar to the player character's impacts to fly through the air rather than having weight. Maybe I'm weird though, who knows.
Yeah, the whole floaty thing looks annoying as hell. It remains to be seen, but I generally hate this kind of arcade-y combat and, along with the art style, it doesn't feel like it fits into the setting of the game. If you're going for dark and brooding, this art style and arcade combat don't really go with that.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
The style of that gameplay looks like some weird mix between Dark Souls and the Warcraft series, spiced up with copypasta'd storyline & gameplay from the former (seriously: world that's running out of time, branded outcasts, bonfires, even the mobs attack in the same style).

Thanks but no thanks.

Finally, I'm so sick and tired of gritty rogue heroes with a dark past that I'd be tempted to buy the game just to run him off the nearest cliff a million times to see to a fitting end for his tragic life.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
The combat seems solid enough but it's missing that extra something. I don't know. I need to see some more gameplay vids.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Vrach said:
Yeah, the whole floaty thing looks annoying as hell. It remains to be seen, but I generally hate this kind of arcade-y combat and, along with the art style, it doesn't feel like it fits into the setting of the game. If you're going for dark and brooding, this art style and arcade combat don't really go with that.
Yeah and I mean, they have time to fix some of that stuff? Like, the floaty thing can be worked on, and some weight can be reinstated with some visual and audio ques. I do agree that it looks a bit arcade-y (partially because of the float thing), but I feel like there is some tactical approaches to combat to be had, which is really all the game needs to not be a hot mess. If any of that stuff is going to be addressed remains to be seen, though.

And yeah, dark and gritty man with beard saves world is... It just doesn't do much for me. The game might though, who knows.

Animall

Jan 31, 2014
I agree with you guys. This game has big potential. To release date is a few month so CI Games with Tomasz Gop can fix all weaknesses. Combat looks like from Street Fighter:D I want to see more gameplay too.

Westaway

Nov 9, 2009
Modern video game journalism: Complain about white male protagonist, admit they're not even a part of the core-gaming community.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Looks like God of War tried to be more like Dark Souls but didn't try very hard. In fairness, that's better than God of War.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Ferisar said:
Vrach said:
Yeah and I mean, they have time to fix some of that stuff? Like, the floaty thing can be worked on, and some weight can be reinstated with some visual and audio ques. I do agree that it looks a bit arcade-y (partially because of the float thing), but I feel like there is some tactical approaches to combat to be had, which is really all the game needs to not be a hot mess. If any of that stuff is going to be addressed remains to be seen, though.

And yeah, dark and gritty man with beard saves world is... It just doesn't do much for me. The game might though, who knows.
I don't think it's anything to fix, it's just the style they're going with, arcade combat. I mean, they'll likely fix what seem to be glitches (a few times in the video, it just looked like a character lagged their way from point A to point B, essentially teleporting), but the whole floaty thing is a choice and I can see, or rather, hear from the sound effects that it was definitely intended. If you listen to the sound effects, it sounds more like Street Fighter than someone slashing with daggers.

Not Lord Atkin

I'm dead inside.
Oct 25, 2008
Saying that Dark Souls fans will enjoy this because of the difficulty is misunderstanding why people like Dark Souls. It's not the difficulty. It's the incredibly good design. I can confidently say that this will not be the case with Lords of the Fallen.

Why? Because City Interactive, despite being a financially successful company, have never made a good game in the time they've existed. In fact, they have never made a game that was not terrible. Their success is built on rushed, lazy shooters sold on the premise alone but without any care or skill going into them. Stalin Subway, Sniper: Ghost Warrior, Terrorist Takedown... all these games give me a pretty good idea of what the next one is going to be like. Cynically going after the new thing that's popular but lacking the skill or know-how required to make in nearly as good as the original - or at the very least halfway decent.

Don't hold your breath for this one.