Lords of the Fallen Trailer Shows Proper Warhammer Etiquette

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Lords of the Fallen Trailer Shows Proper Warhammer Etiquette

The action RPG from former Witcher producer gets a trailer.

Last year, former CD Projekt Red producer Tomasz Gop announced he was striking out on his own to work on [a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116669-The-Witcher-Producer-Tries-Something-New]"Project RPG"[/a]. That project later pupated into a cool piece of concept art with a new title: Lords of the Fallen. Now that the season of PAX is upon us, developer Deck 13 is allowing the action RPG to hatch with a trailer that shows off the epic scale of its world.

The trailer shows a mysterious warrior trudging towards the Hand of God mountains, a geographical formation made from the corpse of a deity. It's all pre-rendered footage, but it presumably gives an idea of the desired feel.

Lords of Fallen's set in a "medieval fantasy world" that's ruled by a god who has fallen and can't seem to get back up. Its initial reveal name-dropped games like Dark Souls and Kingdoms of Amalur, promising enemies who can be recognized "not by their appearance but their behavior and fighting style." The world is built on some interesting ideas and the gameplay sounds like an intriguing recipe. Now that this flashy new trailer has brought that concept art to life, here's hoping we get a glimpse of the gameplay before too long.

Lords of the Fallen is currently slated to launch for PC and next-generation consoles in 2014.

Source: [a href=http:/www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AucmqzBdl4]Youtube[/a]

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Will be keeping an eye on this one, can't wait to see some game play footage and get an impression of what the game is really capable of.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
I dunno, I never really was interested in the Warhammer fantasy setting. I guess if I squint a little I could imagine that to be a Daemonhammer and his armour to have a generator-backpack or something, though.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Color me intrigued. I'll definitely need to see the gameplay before I start thinking about buying, but the premise has got me mighty interested.

Skeleon said:
I dunno, I never really was interested in the Warhammer fantasy setting. I guess if I squint a little I could imagine that to be a Daemonhammer and his armour to have a generator-backpack or something, though.
It's not from the Games Workshop setting. The article is just poorly titled.

It's referring to literal "etiquette in the use of the weapon known as a warhammer", rather than "Ettiquette surrounding the Warhammer setting".

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Agayek said:

It's referring to literal "etiquette in the use of the weapon known as a warhammer", rather than "Ettiquette surrounding the Warhammer setting".
Whoops. Thanks for pointing it out. But it sure looks "Warhammer-ish", doesn't it? The massive hammer, the huge shoulder pads, the grizzled face, the many signets and symbols on his armour etc.. In fact, I was surprised to see he was fighting those demons, considering his outfit seems to feature the eight-pointed star of Chaos. But if it's not Warhammer then who knows what the symbol means here. *shrug*

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Title does suggest GW Warhammer franchise, trailer also isn't far off, but this is actually a separate thing.
People who got to see gameplay behind closed doors are super hyped but then I do remember they were also hyped for DNF, so this might end up as a Dark Souls contender or a DNF poop throne contender.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
I too was confused by the art direction and title.

I of course hoped for 40k

TheBelgianGuy

Aug 29, 2010
Skeleon said:
Agayek said:

Whoops. Thanks for pointing it out. But it sure looks "Warhammer-ish", doesn't it? The massive hammer, the huge shoulder pads, the grizzled face, the many signets and symbols on his armour etc.. In fact, I was surprised to see he was fighting those demons, considering his outfit seems to feature the eight-pointed star of Chaos. But if it's not Warhammer then who knows what the symbol means here. *shrug*
Funnily enough, reading the title I thought it was going to be about Warhammer as well, but I was getting my hopes up! Yeah the hammer looked like something a warrior priest would carry. Massive shoulderpads aren't really that common for mere human mortals in Fantasy though, that seems to be more of a 40k thing.
I also don't think he has an 8-pointed star, it looks like the symbol is a wheel (as in: a sun-wheel, a common Bronze / Iron age symbol).

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
You can add me to the "thought this was Warhammer, got disappointed" list.

6urk17s

Nov 16, 2010
Aeshi said:
Me as well.
At first I though that The Creative Assembly finally is revealing a Warhammer game. You know, after acquiring the license.

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
Reminds me a lot of this particular trailer:

I know warrior priests aren't exclusive to Warhammer by any means, but I still reckon at least one of the developers on this must be a secret Empire fan ;)

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
6urk17s said:
Aeshi said:
Me as well.
At first I though that The Creative Assembly finally is revealing a Warhammer game. You know, after acquiring the license.
sigh And me as well.

I wonder whats going to happen to the world when said fallen god gets up, because from the size of its fingers its going to leave a very large hole in the earth combined with the massive weight and movement could lead to fun for everyone.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Dear God that was corny.

I think my forebrain just slithered out my ear canal and slunk off in embarrassment.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
What does that have to do with the game? It's something an animator puts on their demoreel, not a game trailer.

fgdfgdgd

May 9, 2009
Pro tip: When not referencing the Warhammer? series, try not to capitalist the 'W'