Love: Kurt Would Have Been OK With Guitar Hero 5

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
I really hate Courtney Love, Almost as much as I would hate Kurt if he was still alive...
Now she's likes the Idea of Kurt being in guitar hero again because she realises it's ironic and thats what the cool alternative people are all trying to be nowadays...

Fuck I wish it was the 80's, and we'd never have any of these shitty modern cultures...

DoW Lowen

Exarch
Jan 11, 2009
Oh god there is seriously something really wrong with Courtney Love. I remember reading in Anthony Kiedis's biography (Lead singer of Red Hot Chili Peppers) that when their guitarist at the time smashed his guitar he tossed it in the crowd and Courtney Love staged dive and got into a fight with a fan for the broken instrument.

Why?

Also once you become famous in any form or manner you're free game, one of the many by-products of fame. And games are no exception, Jack Thompson's likeness was used for Mortal Kombat he tried to sue and failed. Even when you're dead your image would be plastered in every possible way. Just hope to god they'd be used in the Simpsons or South Park.

ForgottenPr0digy said:
they should give everyone who bought GH5 should have gotten a free shotgun so they shot themselves in the head just like Kurt.
Nawwww that was mean....

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Again, I say people would kill to even have their song put on Guitar Hero. If someone told me that they wanted to put one of my songs on Guitar Hero, I wouldn't think twice. To think that they would want to put you actually in the game would be beyond an honor. So she needs to get over herself, especially considering that she signed over the rights, if I'm not mistaken.

Indecizion

Aug 11, 2009
I doubt he would, but meh its like che guavara on the shirts from the gap, its just profiteering off peoples reputations who werent all that big on the capatalism rofl.

Jagers1994

Jan 19, 2009
Spacefly said:
I really hate Courtney Love, Almost as much as I would hate Kurt if he was still alive...
Now she's likes the Idea of Kurt being in guitar hero again because she realises it's ironic and thats what the cool alternative people are all trying to be nowadays...

Fuck I wish it was the 80's, and we'd never have any of these shitty modern cultures...
So your telling me that Hair Metal > Grunge? There have always been shitty modern cultures its just now they are retro or something. There always will be aswell.

Anyway OT i think if that guitar hero or any other piece of media is going to use someones likeness they should have to talk to that person theirselves. If they are dead then tough shit they shouldn't allow someone who thinks they know them the best or worse a fucking lawyer to say yay or nay because they are always going to say yes. If it means more money for them than let it roll.

Im only going to let my intese nirvana fanboy out of the closet just long enough to say the stage kurt is on looks like shit, its way too bright and compared to the rest of the picture kurt looks so goddamn out of place. Also his face looks like they were trying to drown him in the river of uncanny valley, just doesn't look right. I mean if your going to do this atleast make it look real or somewhat respectful.

One more thing before i go: FUCK COURTNEY LOVE THAT MURDEROUS, MONEY GRUBBING, CRACK WHORE! KILL HER WITH FIRE! FUCKING FIRE!

cobra_ky

Nov 20, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
Kurt Cobain's widow, Courtney Love, has amended her position on her husband's appearance in Guitar Hero 5, saying that he would have found it 'funny'.

Courtney Love made headlines in the gaming press last year after she lashed out at Activision's use of her husband's likeness in Guitar Hero 5 and Band Hero, saying she was going to 'sue the shit' out of the company. Activision responded, saying that Love had signed the necessary contracts for them to use Cobain's likeness as they did and no suit was filed.

But just a few months later and Love seems to have changed her tune. In an interview with NME Magazine, Love said: "What pisses me off the most about it is I think Kurt would be fine with having five Kurt Cobains singing the (Spice Girls) song Wannabe, like, 'Tell me what you want, what you really really want.' ... I think he'd find that really funny."
i don't see the contradiction here. Love and the other artists involved in the lawsuit are suing because they feel Activision didn't notify them that their likenesses would be used in this way. What Love seems to be saying here is that she's especially pissed because Kurt likely would have signed off on it if he was still alive and was notified about it. The issue isn't the use of Kurt's likeness so much as that it wasn't clearly set down in the contract, as far as i can tell.

If I remember right, there was a similar situation when Weird Al Yankovic parodied Smells Like Teen Spirit; initially some people at the label were furious that the parody was unauthorized, but as it turned out Yankovic had spoken with Cobain and had gotten his permission.

Alkestes

Dec 9, 2009
cobra_ky said:
Logan Westbrook said:
Kurt Cobain's widow, Courtney Love, has amended her position on her husband's appearance in Guitar Hero 5, saying that he would have found it 'funny'.

Courtney Love made headlines in the gaming press last year after she lashed out at Activision's use of her husband's likeness in Guitar Hero 5 and Band Hero, saying she was going to 'sue the shit' out of the company. Activision responded, saying that Love had signed the necessary contracts for them to use Cobain's likeness as they did and no suit was filed.

But just a few months later and Love seems to have changed her tune. In an interview with NME Magazine, Love said: "What pisses me off the most about it is I think Kurt would be fine with having five Kurt Cobains singing the (Spice Girls) song Wannabe, like, 'Tell me what you want, what you really really want.' ... I think he'd find that really funny."
i don't see the contradiction here. Love and the other artists involved in the lawsuit are suing because they feel Activision didn't notify them that their likenesses would be used in this way. What Love seems to be saying here is that she's especially pissed because Kurt likely would have signed off on it if he was still alive and was notified about it. The issue isn't the use of Kurt's likeness so much as that it wasn't clearly set down in the contract, as far as i can tell.

If I remember right, there was a similar situation when Weird Al Yankovic parodied Smells Like Teen Spirit; initially some people at the label were furious that the parody was unauthorized, but as it turned out Yankovic had spoken with Cobain and had gotten his permission.
That's all bullshit. If she cared even a little bit about how it would be used, all she'd had to do was check out the previous games. Would have taken a couple of minutes on Youtube for fuck's sake. As it was, she didn't give a fuck, and just wanted the money. And now she's been paid, she's trying to cash in on a lawsuit to sue for even MORE money. Man, I hate Courtney Love.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
This is the same ***** who turned her post-punk semi-riot grrl band into Fleetwood Mac in order to be re-embraced by the MTV crowd and later had her "body" done, the same ***** who after forcing her way backstage told the Mars Volta that they had a generational obligation to the verse-chorus-verse song structure, and the same ***** who's been praised every time she stopped falling down at awards shows due to drug-induced vertigo.

Take everything this little tart says with a teensy li'l grain of salt.

I did used to like her music, though.

Oh, and her last comeback attempt was an obvious rip off of the far superior Distillers.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
SnootyEnglishman said:
What is she HIGH? She must be..i mean just look at her UGH KILL HER WITH FIRE.. [HEADING=2]WITH FIRE I SAY [/HEADING]
Oh come on, let's be original. Kill her with doughnuts. Krispy Kremes work best. As burgers with bacon.
OT: I think what we are seeing here is the two personalities of Courtney Love speaking out. One wants to keep Kurt all to herself, the other feels Kurt wants to be shared. Who will win? Tune in for the next Multiple Personality Celebrity Deathmatch!

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
Jagers1994 said:
Spacefly said:

So your telling me that Hair Metal > Grunge? There have always been shitty modern cultures its just now they are retro or something. There always will be aswell.
No, I'm not saying Hair Metal > Grunge, I was saying that 80's > present day (music culture wise, not technology wise, For example games/computers and their culture wouldn't be nearly as good as they are now). You just honed in on 1 small bit of 80's music, and not a particulary good one, but yet it is always the one grunge fans seem to mention. And also, I think you misunderstood what I meant by shitty modern cultures, grunge isn't a modern culture, its pretty old now... and I like a lot of it (but not Nirvana, so I may be a little biased). What I meant was those shitty modern cultures where everyone wears ironic t-shirts and listens to emo, dance-rock etc. And that Courtney Love was trying to latch on to these cultures because they are the currently the most similar to grunge. Being alternative and all that.

So despite me disliking Kurt and you loving him, I think we both hate Courtney, and I agree:
KILL HER WITH FIRE! FUCKING FIRE!

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Burn in hell Love, you used Kurt to put more money in your sleazy pockets. There's no way in hell Kurt would have liked to be used like that.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Tales of Golden Sun said:
Ugh, who cares? The guy is dead anyway.
And his music isn't that great either. (IT'S AN OPINION)
How dare you ave your own opinion!! AHHH!!! *turns green and hulky*

She probably said this because she hasn't been in the papers for a while. Strange woman. Fascinating, but strange.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Oh for gods sake. Who cares? That's just stupid. I doubt the contract said, "we would like to use your likeness for your song only." I'm sure it was for the entire game.
EDIT: Also, if she's sure that Kurt would have been ok with it anyway, why is she making such a big deal?

batti

Mar 18, 2009
"And I find it kinda funny
I find it kinda sad
I find it hard to tell you
I find it hard to take
When people run in circles
It's a very, very mad world mad world"
This sprung up in my mind when I heard this